PDA

View Full Version : Mass Airflow Sensor

Downshift
09-26-2007, 06:23 AM
Hey guys, minor issue here that has probably been seen before but i just want to know if im totally out of the woods.

My car was idling rough once in a while the last few days which led me to read a lot online and check a few things out myself.

One of the things i checked was the Mass airflow sensor. I unplugged it and the car started idling rough as it had before at worst, so it led me to believe there was a problem with the part. I heard it was possible to clean so i wanted to try that before just throwing out 300 dollars for a new plastic tube.

so i get it out and look at it and it appears that one of the reed sensors inside is bent. must not have had a solid connection which would cause my car to run rough sometimes. Excitedly i tried to bend it back and snap! now i only have 2 sensors in there. Uh oh. I tried to reinstall it and it was running as it had sometimes, all the time.

Now i was sure i figured out my problem but i had to order the part online. I found it for 120 dollars which is better than autopart store price of 300 but i still have to wait.

I just wanted to share that story and hopefully people will be more careful with parts like that because i didn't and now a little metal tab is costing me 120 and no car for who knows how long??

So does this sound like it will all go away with a new mass air sensor? I have no error codes or check engine lights and everything else seems fine.

Also any advice on other things to check or replace with it would be nice.

Denlasoul
09-26-2007, 08:33 AM
Should be good after this change. You could always check the MAF/MAS voltage output when hooked up. I believe that information in on this Board.

edit: Found it (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1565&highlight=mas+voltage)

Downshift
09-26-2007, 09:10 AM
cool thanks, yea like i said i think i diagnosed the problem when i broke the part in my hand! If there is still an issue i will definitely look into the voltage.

cjbg
09-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Downshift
cool thanks, yea like i said i think i diagnosed the problem when i broke the part in my hand! If there is still an issue i will definitely look into the voltage.

I may have to get a new MAF soon.. which website did you buy yours from? and is it OEM Mercedes?

Originally posted by Denlasoul
Should be good after this change. You could always check the MAF/MAS voltage output when hooked up. I believe that information in on this Board.

edit: Found it (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1565&highlight=mas+voltage)

Denla.. is this the only way to test if the MAF is bad?

Downshift
09-26-2007, 01:58 PM
my first symptom was a rough idle and smelled like it was running rich once in a while. I could visually see that one of the MAF sensors inside was broken so thats why i knew to change it.

I found it on a google search through amazon.com

Said it already shipped so i should be ok. Looks like oem bosche one but who knows. for the price i dont mind.

AirPost
09-26-2007, 06:22 PM
For that price, I don't think it's Bosch but if it is, pls send me the link so I can get one too.

As for not minding what brand because of the price, read the thread below. Might actually cost you more in the long run.

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12713&highlight=MAF

Denlasoul
09-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by cjbg
Denla.. is this the only way to test if the MAF is bad?
Prolly the best way, but you could always wait till you pull some codes. I would observe and note anything weird (spiking during idle, rough idle, etc etc).

Also, try and go over the basics in maintenance (air filter, plugs, clean injectors, fuel filter).

RemoLexi
09-26-2007, 09:21 PM
I personally dont suggest cleaning them, maybe as a temperary fix until a new one is in but definatly cant cheap out your way from this problem.

come on, its a Mercedes. let THAT be the worst problem it ever comes upon.

Downshift
10-01-2007, 06:01 PM
ok so i got my airflow sensor saturday which was pretty quick, considering i ordered it wednesday night i think.

I borrowed a car for the weekend so i didn't put it in until today.

The car started up and ran perfect after the install.

I even passed the MA state inspection right after i put it in.

Hopefully it doesn't crap out on me but so far it seems that this aftermarket Mass airflow sensor is working fine.