PDA

View Full Version : Belt Tensioner Pulley Removal '97 C230

wparker
09-27-2007, 09:20 AM
I want to change the shock absorber to the belt tensioner on my wife's car but can't figure how to remove the pulley to get to the bottom bolt of the shock. The pulley is mounted on an E10 torx bolt and even though threaded, somehow forms the axel for the pulley. Is the pulley removed by unscrewing the torx bolt? Or, do I pry off the round cover plate at the end of the bolt and find a nut underneath securing the pulley? I can't find a diagram anywhere that shows an exploded view of the setup. I can't tell if the threading is left or righthand, but it seems I must remove the serpanting belt by using a torx socked/ratched wrench gently pushed to the left to reduce the tension on the pulley. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Wes Parker

I am not allowed to post attachments, so my photo of what I am talking about doesn't appear.

xvvvz
09-30-2007, 09:47 AM
>>Or, do I pry off the round cover plate at the end of the bolt and find a nut underneath securing the pulley?<<

Put your torx socket on the torx stud and swing/rotate the tensioner toward the passenger side. This will put slack in the belt so that you can take it off the pulley. Let the pulley rotate back (gently!). Pry the plastic cover off. You will see the nut under there. You will have to have a boxed wrench with a slight angle to the end so that you can get it in and on the nut. Take the nut off and I belive there may be a washer. Then it will probably take some gentle effort to get the pulley to slide off.

If you have to take the actual tensioner off, you will have to swing the tensioner back and insert a small bolt into the two rings when they align. This puts the tensioner in position so that you can access all the bolts. My car doesn't have the extra shock but you don't need to remove the tensioner to access the shock do you? Just the pulley?

wparker
10-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the info.

Your instructions really helped me get the plastic cover (which I thought was metal) off the torx, exposing the bolt holding the pulley, etc. Now that I can see how to take everything off and replace it and I've ordered a belt, pulley and shock for my repair.

On my model car (early '97) the tensioner has a shock attached to it that in turn attaches to the thermostat area. I understand newer models either have no shock installed, or have a different type of tensioner.

Too bad there isn't a Benley manual for MB. I have on for my BMW 530i and it makes all the difference in the world if you tend to mess with some of your own auto repairs.

Wes Parker

xvvvz
10-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Haynes Manual 3511. Excellent. Perfect for you car model and year. Check Amazon. If they don't have it in stock, click on one of their marketplace sellers. I bought from the guy in Florida. Fast shipping.

Also, consider buying a copy of the MB WIS software off of Ebay.