PDA

View Full Version : laggin between shifting, check engine light on

lewda
09-29-2007, 10:04 PM
well its been on for about 2 months, and i just usually drive the Alfa around instead of the benz, i hooked up the computer a while ago, and i got a bad fuel trim code, i cant remember the number exactly. So, i took from that and cleaned the poo outa the MAF, cleaned the throttle body, the piping, cleaned the Air filter which is a K&N, and the light still stays on. When i get on it, it goes, then when it goes to shift, it kinda pauses, then goes into gear. its kinda weird, like the car has asthma or something. Like it wants to get into gear, but doesnt do it smoothly, and i hear a loud burst from the exhaust.

Anyone have any ideas? Is my MAF going bad? or is it possibly something else? I don't know if any of this is related either, but the super charger never wants to work when i want it to either. The car isnt driven that much, usually only on the weekends, it has about 90k on the clock. The light and the actin' up is definitely getting on my nerves, thanks in advance

Lew

Nelson Lago
09-30-2007, 05:59 PM
maby its a bad O2 sensor

Proven Guilty
09-30-2007, 08:02 PM
i've learned the hard way that K&N is more damaging than anything else on our cars due to the oil and how quickly they foul the MAS.

i'd say it's 99% chance it's the MAS. hit up autozone for a fresh free code pull, and let us know.

lewda
09-30-2007, 08:15 PM
yeah, i've read through the forum that people havent had good luck with them, and some that say they havent had any problems. I dunno, i was thinking about dropping it off by my mechanic and having him check it out, but i wanna see if i could trouble shoot it myself first. I really cant seem to figure it out.

Ha, the only thing that holds me back from going to him, which is a stupid reason, but hes a Mercedes purist, and he may shame me for putting a magnaflow exhaust on the car, haha, but well see im gonna try and make an appoint at sometime soon

Cru328prod
10-01-2007, 06:31 AM
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!! I've asked how to test the o2 sensors to see which one is bad. I've replaced the MAF and it still poped on. I don't think a K&N filter makes the MAF go bad (if re-oiled properly) i think its that stupid PVC valve looking thing that goes back into the airbox.

lewda
10-06-2007, 08:02 AM
well i went to autozone, and the dude couldnt get his code puller thing to work, anyways. When i had my dad pull the code, it was either P0170 or P0173 i wanna say it was 170 but im really not sure, its either 170 or 173, i went to the dealer to see if they could pull the code, and they told me it would cost me 102 bucks!! holy crap, just for a code, screw that. I think i can wait untill the next time i go to my parents house, haha. Anyways, i might check out the MAF, the car does have 90k miles on it, so who knows, heard could also be a leaky vacuum line somewhere, like i said, i will check it out and let you guys know!

kowalski
10-09-2007, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by lewda
well its been on for about 2 months, and i just usually drive the Alfa around instead of the benz, i hooked up the computer a while ago, and i got a bad fuel trim code, i cant remember the number exactly. So, i took from that and cleaned the poo outa the MAF, cleaned the throttle body, the piping, cleaned the Air filter which is a K&N, and the light still stays on. When i get on it, it goes, then when it goes to shift, it kinda pauses, then goes into gear. its kinda weird, like the car has asthma or something. Like it wants to get into gear, but doesnt do it smoothly, and i hear a loud burst from the exhaust.

Anyone have any ideas? Is my MAF going bad? or is it possibly something else? I don't know if any of this is related either, but the super charger never wants to work when i want it to either. The car isnt driven that much, usually only on the weekends, it has about 90k on the clock. The light and the actin' up is definitely getting on my nerves, thanks in advance

Lew

hey buddy it's the o2 sensors it happened o me when i drove my car trans paused between gears at speed up,this only happen between 1st and 2nd gear in Drive mode

lewda
10-09-2007, 12:10 PM
yeah thats exactly when mine does it, i will try that, thanks!

Cru328prod
10-09-2007, 03:55 PM
im gonna assume its the sensor before the cat

lewda
10-09-2007, 04:34 PM
should i just go ahead and replace both? or just do one at a time?

Cru328prod
10-09-2007, 04:57 PM
well my CEL is still on, replace the 1st o2 sensor and let me know, they say its the 1st one to always go out.

kowalski
10-10-2007, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Cru328prod
im gonna assume its the sensor before the cat

when my sensor was busted it was the front left one that caused lagging between 1st and 2nd gear at furious acceleration from standing stil and then I had to step off the acc. pedal and then it would shift up, but I lost the race cuz of this.I only have 2 front sensors on my C43AMG not the rear ones,now it kicks ass when I drive it, check with computer which one is busted :bunny:

Cru328prod
10-10-2007, 04:09 AM
all i have is a fuel trim malifuction code. i know it could be 1 of 3 things, vacumme leak, o2 sensor, or MAF

lewda
10-10-2007, 07:02 PM
ok, i just purchased the O2 sensor, i got one of those bosch universal ones, and will start with the front one, do you guys think i should just go ahead, clean up the MAS again, and put a stock OEM style air filter back in, and ditch the K&N or just wash out the K&N and liberally re-oil the K&N...

lewda
10-12-2007, 12:34 PM
well there is a great deal of backfire coming from my exhaust when i get on it, my friend said its a possiblity that the cat could be clogged?

Cru328prod
10-13-2007, 04:28 AM
back fire? ooooooooh maannnn, cheak for an exhaust leak. How many miles are on your car? did you also wire it up correctly?.......Lol start pulling your spark plugs out!!!! you might want to change them anyway.

lewda
10-15-2007, 12:03 PM
i havent plugged up the new sensor yet, yeah i know i should do the plugs, im gonna do them when i do the sensor, but i was just curious, i dont think there is an exhaust leak.

lewda
11-09-2007, 04:24 PM
alright, talk about a late reply to this thread, but then again, i didnt take my car to the shop till last tuesday.

Well here was the low down. I did the plugs, and the o2 sensor, after i put the car back together, it runs worse, like holy shit, the car idles ok, but you hit the gas and the car sufficates, and wants to shut off, and all you smell is gas out the tailpipe, so, i put the old o2 back in, same thing, i check all the plugs again, everything is fine, the check engine light still hastn come on because i cleared it by disconnecting the battery, or at least reset it. I spent two days trying to figure out what the hell was wrong, i had a feeling it was MAS but wasnt sure, and i couldnt fig it out, so i just drove it to the shop.

The guy calls me back and tells me its the MAS, I pay 509 after their diagnostic, im guessing because i cleared the code. But, the car runs amazing now, i havent experienced this much power from my car ever i dont think.

all in all, if your experiencing any of the problems i was having, def get your MAS checked, cleaning it just doesnt cut it half the time, which i cleaned mine regularly.

V1Dreamer
11-09-2007, 10:57 PM
im pretty sure its your mas sensor man. did the computer say that the self adaptation fuel trim at max limit?

if so, the mas is the culprit.

if your check engine light has come on, it is too late to clean the mas. so it will do nothing.

OzC36
11-10-2007, 04:53 AM
Ditch the K&N before it ruins the new MAF?

V1Dreamer
11-10-2007, 03:10 PM
K&N filters are fine if you clean them properly, and dont over oil them.

lewda
11-10-2007, 07:11 PM
yeah, i mean, i dunno, i was having some lagging problems before i put the K&N in, i mean if the car starts to lag a little, i will take it out, and clean and put a OEM style one in, other wise, im just gonna ride it.