PDA

View Full Version : ATT:All Koni shock owners

C280/////AMG
10-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Hey,

I installed my Koni Yellows about a month ago (btw, nokia's thread on koni installation was fantastic!!), and ever since i installed them, i've had this strange knocking sound coming from both back wheels and the front right wheel whenever i go over rough old tarmac!

Has anyone had any experience with this?

ryhi
10-09-2007, 09:27 AM
i had a knock sound over bumps. i found i didnt tighten them all the way.

Denlasoul
10-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by ryhi
i had a knock sound over bumps. i found i didnt tighten them all the way.
I would say the same thing. Did you happen to only tighten the shocks while the car was in the air?

C280/////AMG
10-09-2007, 11:31 AM
No, i tightened them while the car was in the air, then i tightened them again after i drove around the block. But it sounds exactly as though i didn't tighten them enough.

I want to add that i have the externally adjustable shocks...

Thanks for the replies..Keep them coming!

SLAMMED_C
10-09-2007, 02:58 PM
did you transfer over the shock top rubber bushing from the stock shock to the koni shock, as well as the black plastic sleeve that covers the shaft of the shock as it compresses and extents??
maybe recheck the nuts and see if they are tight.. try holding them with osme vise grips on the part of the shaft that isnt threaded of comes into contact with the shock dampener, be sure to use a rag or something to help protect from stratching them with the vise grips.. give them a lil bit extra and tighten them.

C280/////AMG
10-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
did you transfer over the shock top rubber bushing from the stock shock to the koni shock, as well as the black plastic sleeve that covers the shaft of the shock as it compresses and extents??
maybe recheck the nuts and see if they are tight.. try holding them with osme vise grips on the part of the shaft that isnt threaded of comes into contact with the shock dampener, be sure to use a rag or something to help protect from stratching them with the vise grips.. give them a lil bit extra and tighten them.

Hey Slammed, i did transfer both the rubber bushings, the bump-stop and also drilled out the dust cover so that it could fit onto the koni shock. I followed the instructions that came in the box, alongside nokia's thread...

i'm really out of ideas...

SLAMMED_C
10-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by C280/////AMG
Hey Slammed, i did transfer both the rubber bushings, the bump-stop and also drilled out the dust cover so that it could fit onto the koni shock. I followed the instructions that came in the box, alongside nokia's thread...

i'm really out of ideas...
did you loosen anything else off on the suspension when installing the shocks?
its odd that its clunking like that with all the bushings and the cover transfered from the old shocks to the koni's.

cfourthree
10-11-2007, 04:39 AM
I am interested to know too. I have this problem with my 98 c43. since installing the new bilsteins I have had this noise.

C280/////AMG
10-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
did you loosen anything else off on the suspension when installing the shocks?
its odd that its clunking like that with all the bushings and the cover transfered from the old shocks to the koni's.

I know, it's really strange

All i did, was i took out the bolt holding the rear lower control arm out, but the bolt towards the diff, so that i could take out my springs and replace my rear spring rubbers with No. 3 instead of the No. 2 that was in there (to raise the rear slightly to reduce camber wear at rear). but i put everything back and made dead sure that i tightened everything correctly. (don't want suspension bolts coming out at 100mph !)