PDA

View Full Version : mas replacement results

jpgoodwin
10-13-2007, 09:46 PM
I just replaced mas sensor on 98 c280 with 96000 miles on it. The symptoms prior to change were. While stopped and in drive felt slight shake or vibration in steering wheel, also could feel same in seat occasionally. Sluggish on take off, but still had some get while on highway to pass. Kind of hesitation while getting up to speed intermittently, felt as if did not want to go into the next gear. Tachometer did have slight fluctuation as well just above 500 mark. Post installation vibration 90% gone. Possibly need plugs now. Been running like this for some time, pulled plugs looks like a lot of carbon build up. Car takes off amazingly now, smooth, and fast again. I forgot how quick it was almost hit my garage wall when pulling in after waiting for door to go up. Did not realize how far I was depressing gas pedal before change. Also shifting smooth, not as smooth as new but, 100% turn around from before. Think I'll get trans fluid/filter changed too. The tachometer also seems more stable and slightly higher now.

Bought the sensor off e-bay. It was the Bosch insert only, same as the one German Star offers. I did not have the torx bit though and could not find one at local store so I used pair of plumbers pliers (channel locks) to take bolts in and out. This did not damage bolts at all, only put a little mark on each side where pliers grabbed. Also followed previous posts and unplugged battery for an hour or so. Paid $100.00 with $6.00 shipping

AirPost
10-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Welcome and thanks for posting your results.

I've been debating on whether I should go with the whole MAS unit (about $200) or just the insert. How hard or easy was it to change the sensor once you have the casing off?

jpgoodwin
10-14-2007, 10:45 AM
The actual replacement was very easy. Finished in about 20 minutes or so. I did not have the correct torx bit and was still easy. Took time to figure out a good way to the get bolts out. The torx bolts have like a small nipple in the center so the bit needs a hole in the center to accommodate this nipple. Could not find it locally, with proper bit would have been 5 minute job. I just used the pliers to get hold of edges of bolts to break loose then used needle nosed vise grips to completly remove. Hope this helps. I could not see the sense in paying all the extra for the plastic housing when mine seemed fine.

xvvvz
10-14-2007, 12:23 PM
They are security type torx bits. Pick them up at ACE hardware in a little red rubber case along with a number of other odd bits. $14.

jpgoodwin
10-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Never thought to look there thanks.

predrag1
10-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by jpgoodwin
While stopped and in drive felt slight shake or vibration in steering wheel, also could feel same in seat occasionally. Kind of hesitation while getting up to speed intermittently, felt as if did not want to go into the next gear.

thats whats happening to my car, thanks for posting

cjbg
10-15-2007, 07:46 AM
this is also happening with my car (73k miles).. at stop lights/idle in "D" the car would shake a bit momentarily every 5-10 seconds until i let off the brake and started to accelerate. in motion there was no shaking at all and it does feel sluggish off the line.. if i have the a/c on, the shaking is worse..

thanks for posting! time to get me a new MAF or MAF insert!

DynoXG
10-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Does anyone have the link to an insert? I can't find it on ebay.