PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Side mirror

mbLova
10-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Guys,

I was driving on the highway today and i noticed that my passenger side mirror was literally flopping around back and forth. I pull over and i Can actually fold the mirror in, which could never happened before. I could also pull the mirror out towards me and was able to see the brackets inside. It seems some black plastic piece inside has broken off. Any way to repair this or should i just get a new mirror?

99C280Sport
10-15-2007, 09:47 AM
This happened to me (but on the driver's side) and I fixed it myself for 4 bucks after a trip to home depot. I got the idea from mbworld... I don't remember what I searched for in the W202 section, but it was a good idea. I basically bought an eye bolt, a large diameter washer and a smaller diameter washer... I'll get the exact parts when I get back from class (I'm about to run out the door now). Took me about 20 minutes to do.

I'll get back to this when I get home.

mbLova
10-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Alright. I really appreciate it.

So i did some more checking and it seems to me that there is a spring which hooks onto a metal piece. That metal hook has broken off, hence why it was flopping around. Any way of fixing this?

99C280Sport
10-15-2007, 12:30 PM
That is the same thing that happened to me. I am about to go wash my car so when I am done I will take some pics for you to show you what I did. Should be back in a couple hours

mbLova
10-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks 99. If you could let me know what size washers you got and what you did.

99C280Sport
10-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Ok... here is the pic of what I did...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b194/ltrain300d/C280/IMG_1138.jpg

That is a 1 1/2" x 5/16" (I believe - I know it is 1 1/2" long but not sure about the 5/16" part) eye-bolt. I got that, a bag of #10 washers, and a bag of 1/4" x 1 1/4" washers. I didn't drill any holes, there is already a space around where that old metal bracket was that goes through to the other side of the assembly (on the car side). I have the large 1/4" x 1 1/4" washer on the side the the eye is on, and the smaller #10 washer on the side that you will screw on the nut.

The mirror is pretty easy to get off the car when it is flimsy, just remove the three screws (phillips head, you'll see them), and take the whole assembly off the car. Then you remove the large thin aluminum "C" clip so you can remove the painted housing. I then attached the eye-bolt and associated hardware, and then re-attached the spring (which took some work...). Once you have this done, put the assembly back on the car (without the painted housing on it so you can get it screwed back on, and then once you do that you just have to move the mirror around with your hands so that the housing will slide back on, then you can replace the C clip and you should be all set!

xvvvz
10-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Congrats on the ingenuity! Would you recommend using loctite or locking washers in order to keep it from vibrating free over time?

99C280Sport
10-15-2007, 04:27 PM
I put a little loctitie on the bolt. I am pretty sure that this set up is far sturdier than the stock set up. At least when my passenger side fails I'll already know what to do.

benzo23
10-15-2007, 05:53 PM
man u guys don't even want to know what kind of shit I rigged up when mine was flopping around...same situation..the clip had snapped off...so I drilled a hole through the broken piece and took about 4ft of metal wire and twisted it all off reconnected the spring and bam..it works..a little bit more was involved but u get the basic idea I'm on my cell typing this so I'm keeping it short..

mbLova
10-16-2007, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by 99C280Sport
Ok... here is the pic of what I did...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b194/ltrain300d/C280/IMG_1138.jpg

That is a 1 1/2" x 5/16" (I believe - I know it is 1 1/2" long but not sure about the 5/16" part) eye-bolt. I got that, a bag of #10 washers, and a bag of 1/4" x 1 1/4" washers. I didn't drill any holes, there is already a space around where that old metal bracket was that goes through to the other side of the assembly (on the car side). I have the large 1/4" x 1 1/4" washer on the side the the eye is on, and the smaller #10 washer on the side that you will screw on the nut.

The mirror is pretty easy to get off the car when it is flimsy, just remove the three screws (phillips head, you'll see them), and take the whole assembly off the car. Then you remove the large thin aluminum "C" clip so you can remove the painted housing. I then attached the eye-bolt and associated hardware, and then re-attached the spring (which took some work...). Once you have this done, put the assembly back on the car (without the painted housing on it so you can get it screwed back on, and then once you do that you just have to move the mirror around with your hands so that the housing will slide back on, then you can replace the C clip and you should be all set!

Wow that is good. Should the "C" clip go back and click in? Wouldn't that be hard to do with the housing on?

mbLova
10-16-2007, 07:11 AM
Also this "C" clip, just slides back and forth right? Because thats how i got the Housing off.

99C280Sport
10-16-2007, 07:12 AM
Yeah, you put the C clip back on after you get the painted housing in position. Takes a little force to get it in there right - I found it was easier to get the center on the little nub thing (you'll see what I'm talking about when you get there) and then press down the sides and snap them into place.

Meant to add that you just have to bend mirror back towards the back of the car and then you can get it in there from the front.

mbLova
10-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by 99C280Sport
Yeah, you put the C clip back on after you get the painted housing in position. Takes a little force to get it in there right - I found it was easier to get the center on the little nub thing (you'll see what I'm talking about when you get there) and then press down the sides and snap them into place.

Meant to add that you just have to bend mirror back towards the back of the car and then you can get it in there from the front.

yeah that is what i was thinking. Thanks for the help man, really appreciate it.

99C280Sport
10-16-2007, 07:18 AM
No problem... it's really self-explanatory once you get everything taken off the car and take a look at it.

mbLova
10-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Did this! Worked like a charm.

Thanks again.