PDA

View Full Version : C230 not starting, timing problem?

RemoLexi
10-15-2007, 10:05 PM
so tonight my C230 wouldnt start when I was going to go out.

ive checked it out as far as I could,

Problem: engine turns over for about 3 second, fires and stalls. sometimes pops flames out the throttle body. will not turn over for more then 3-seconds.

-cant be related to the starter, since it ALWAYS consistantly turns over, but only for 2-3seconds and stops nomatter if it fires or not.
-not fuel related - ive sprayed starting fluid down the throttle body and no help.
-not the MAF, disconnecting it didnt change anything and MAF is also related to fuel.
-cant be the crank or camshaft position sensors since engine would keep turning over and over.

something is keeping the engine from staying on for more then 2-3seconds. is there any kind of theft immobilizer's on a 97' C230 ?

I feel like this has something to do with the timing or maybe that magnet on the drivers-side camshaft.

anybody out there that have shared these symptoms or may direct me towards whats causing the issue? tomarrow ill be using my Mac MENTOR and see if I can pull any codes. also have a word with the Benz techs and see if they have seen this before.

77,000 miles for the info. and lucky the W204 is here as my daily driver.

any help is very much appreciated!

OzC36
10-16-2007, 05:03 AM
sometimes pops flames out the throttle body

If everything is connected properly, how can this be?

If everything is NOT connected properly, then who knows what is normal?

RemoLexi
10-16-2007, 08:16 AM
I didnt disconnect anything ..

coolin
10-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by OzC36
If everything is connected properly, how can this be?

If everything is NOT connected properly, then who knows what is normal?

I had this issue in my Corvette after I had removed and reinstalled the ignition module. In this case engine timing as the exact opposite as it should have been (the part could have gone in two ways and I chose the wrong way...whoops).

Under no circumstances should flame pass up the intake valves when they are open.

Cru328prod
10-16-2007, 09:52 AM
LMFAO..........THATS SCARYYYYYYYYY

RemoLexi
10-16-2007, 06:24 PM
:( tow-truck is taking her away within the next hour.

RemoLexi
10-16-2007, 09:17 PM
... okay, so ive had two differnt tow trucks come by my house, and none of them could load the car because of it being too low.

but, the good thing is ive found the problem and fixed it so all good now! :D

Proven Guilty
10-16-2007, 09:23 PM
lol@being too low.

what was the issue?

RemoLexi
10-16-2007, 09:49 PM
fuse #25 popped up :o

Logic
10-17-2007, 02:39 PM
you just saved you a grip of money taking it to your stealership

JDoggery
10-17-2007, 03:02 PM
What is fuse #25. I've seen many tow trucks not want to deal with lowered cars or if they have rims/ kits. Were they flat beds?

OzC36
10-17-2007, 05:42 PM
For what it is worth, Fuse #25 in my C36 is for optional seat heater.

Perhaps he meant a white-coloured Fuse that was inscribed 25? That would be a 25 Amp rated Fuse.

It would be interesting to get to the bottom of this mystery.

RemoLexi
10-17-2007, 09:04 PM
on my car fuse #25 is a 15amp blue fuse. it is realated to the cars locking system and a few other functions.

I wouldnt even pay a dime if i took it to my stealership, since I work there I have my own personal tech who always hooks it up with any problems I have. I try my best effort to resolve any problem myself - and what I cant do, he teaches me! :)

now, one of the first tow-trucks was a carriage ... go figure I cant even stick my pinky between my rear tire and fender so no way could he strap the car and have my front diffuser draging down the road ?? ... the second was a flat-bed. the flatbed tried to pull it up - but the nose of the car would hit the ground and that was it.

at least i know my car cant get towed. :p

OzC36
10-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi Lexi,

I'm with you now! That Fuse you described is #27 on my car. As you say, it is involved with the infra red locking system (and in turn the engine immobiliser system?).

It stands to reason that a problem with that fuse would give rise to the problem symptoms you outlined.

Note on my picture below Fuse #25 is not fitted (missing) as I don't have the heated seat option (well I do live in sub-tropical Queensland!).

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6987/dsc02808ju5.th.jpg (http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02808ju5.jpg)

Cru328prod
10-18-2007, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by JDoggery
What is fuse #25. I've seen many tow trucks not want to deal with lowered cars or if they have rims/ kits. Were they flat beds?

i know AAA would refuse to touch my car because it was lowered, and had rims. I called AAA pissed. I told them my car was not lowerd but it does have a body kit (lied). I pay for a auto service that doesn't service to my needs, and my AAA rep didn't say one thing about my car, and told me i have 4 tows to anywhere i want. I've requested for a flat bed, and you guys send a wrecker. They told me they apologize for everything and sent a flat bed lol.

RemoLexi
10-18-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by OzC36
Hi Lexi,

I'm with you now! That Fuse you described is #27 on my car. As you say, it is involved with the infra red locking system (and in turn the engine immobiliser system?).

It stands to reason that a problem with that fuse would give rise to the problem symptoms you outlined.

Note on my picture below Fuse #25 is not fitted (missing) as I don't have the heated seat option (well I do live in sub-tropical Queensland!).

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6987/dsc02808ju5.th.jpg (http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02808ju5.jpg)

differnt models, differnt fuse boxes.

RemoLexi
10-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Cru328prod
i know AAA would refuse to touch my car because it was lowered, and had rims. I called AAA pissed. I told them my car was not lowerd but it does have a body kit (lied). I pay for a auto service that doesn't service to my needs, and my AAA rep didn't say one thing about my car, and told me i have 4 tows to anywhere i want. I've requested for a flat bed, and you guys send a wrecker. They told me they apologize for everything and sent a flat bed lol.

yea the carriage guy says "C230 AMG"?? im like "yea yea thats right". so that they would think its a sports sedan and not modified and tow the fucking thing. still no go. :( lol

great, now I know I have a C230 AMG and you guys are jelous!

:p

Cru328prod
10-18-2007, 09:39 AM
hahahahahaha...........even with a flat bed mines scrappppp just hauling it up.......c230 amg lmfao wat a fool