PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflow Break-in Period

Kyles 202
10-19-2007, 06:10 AM
hey i plan on getting a Magnaflow exhaust like you guys but can you clarify to me what is the "break-in" period for it? what does it mean? thank you,
Kyle

chewiguy
10-19-2007, 07:46 AM
The break in period is pretty much the time between "I CAN'T STAND THE DRONE" and when you become numb to it.

Actually, I think it is that your ECU will adjust to the difference in airflow and your Muffler will quiet down a bit. I didn't notice a difference but the installer said it'll take about 2 weeks.

omeyhomey
10-19-2007, 08:53 AM
on average depending on how you drive a magnaflow will take 1-2 months to fully stabilize. To get optimum sound you'll want to do a resonator as well. hope that helps.

anf6789
10-19-2007, 09:16 AM
just drive as you normally do. thats it

anf6789
10-19-2007, 09:22 AM
nvm lol

Logic
10-19-2007, 10:27 AM
i heard a echo LOL average time is about 2 months

svt ricco
10-20-2007, 01:55 AM
hey omey, what do you mean by optimum sound? wouldn't it sound better if he deletes the resonator? if not, what would be the best resonator to pair with magnaflow?

Kyles 202
10-20-2007, 05:27 AM
if i delete resonator will that make the break-in period longer?

C280_Spawrt
10-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by omeyhomey
on average depending on how you drive a magnaflow will take 1-2 months to fully stabilize. To get optimum sound you'll want to do a resonator as well. hope that helps.

Originally posted by svt ricco
hey omey, what do you mean by optimum sound? wouldn't it sound better if he deletes the resonator? if not, what would be the best resonator to pair with magnaflow?
wait a minute, I am so freakin confused on the whole resonator issue paired w/ magnaflow exhaust.

I thought that NO RESONATOR was the best route to go for performance? Less Restriction = More power am i correct? Unless res does not even have anything to do with restriction.

And I also planned on getting Magnaflow High-flow cats as well, Omey can you tell me how much power I should see from those aswell? Any sound diff with cats? Without res I know my exhaust will sound a hell a lot louder...

Logic
10-20-2007, 01:59 PM
from what i understand from the muffler guy is the factory one is high flow and replacing it with a magna flow resonator can make the exhaust a little louder. when i replaced mine i was going to do the 21 inch resonator but decided against it since i didnt want it to sound too loud ... i had a magna flow muffler done using the factory resonator and it sounds great ...by losing the resonator you going to get more drone and you lose about 23 pounds doing it ..not sure how much more gain you will get doing it that way

omeyhomey
10-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by C280_Spawrt
wait a minute, I am so freakin confused on the whole resonator issue paired w/ magnaflow exhaust.

I thought that NO RESONATOR was the best route to go for performance? Less Restriction = More power am i correct? Unless res does not even have anything to do with restriction.

And I also planned on getting Magnaflow High-flow cats as well, Omey can you tell me how much power I should see from those aswell? Any sound diff with cats? Without res I know my exhaust will sound a hell a lot louder...

Resonator delete is ONLY for stock muffler setup. if you plan on keeping stock setup then you can delete resonator. If you don't add a magnaflow resonator with magnaflow muffler it will be too loud. I have a magnaflow 14816 muffler + 22" resonator on my BMW E30 track car right now and its pretty aggressive but still very smooth. I will have videos up of the car soon on the race track for you to hear. Realistically if you want a good quality sounding muffler get the 14" univeral + tips and then 22" mangaflow. The all in one stainless ones with tips included look great but they are the loudest option.

a true high performance resonator (like magnaflow) is 100% free flowing, makes zero impact on exhaust flow, it only controls resonance & sound. Even stock resonators are free flowing. resonator delete won't add HP. thx

Kyles 202
10-22-2007, 11:18 AM
how does adding a new muffler increase HP??? whats the science behind it?

omeyhomey
10-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Kyles 202
how does adding a new muffler increase HP??? whats the science behind it?

increased gas velocity, increased air flow, much less restriction. The faster you get air into & out of an engine the more power it makes, in general terms an engine is nothing more than a hot air pump.

svt ricco
10-22-2007, 03:26 PM
hey omey, i went to magnaflow's site and i didn't a muffler for c43s...where did you get yours?

Kyles 202
10-22-2007, 03:48 PM
so omeyhomey how much HP are we expected to gain with Magnaflow or any aftermatrket exhaust? im speaking in averages of course

omeyhomey
10-22-2007, 06:38 PM
hey omey, i went to magnaflow's site and i didn't a muffler for c43s...where did you get yours?

you must go the custom route, theres no other way to do it. You can do 2.5" or 3.0" its up to you. For your car I think 3.0" is more appropriate. They have all the individual components. if you need more help let me know.

svt ricco
10-22-2007, 09:41 PM
i really need help!! i really want an exhaust system ...oh well..maybe i'll just look for a good shop and tell them what i want. btw, what's the stock pipe diameter?

omeyhomey
10-22-2007, 11:55 PM
i really need help!! i really want an exhaust system ...oh well..maybe i'll just look for a good shop and tell them what i want. btw, what's the stock pipe diameter?

stock is probably 2.75" single pipe, although i could be wrong.

C280_Spawrt
11-14-2007, 04:54 AM
question, will my engine develop enough backpressure to run 2.5" piping?

svt ricco
11-14-2007, 07:14 AM
hey omey, sent you a pm but your inbox is full

mike mac
11-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by C280_Spawrt
question, will my engine develop enough backpressure to run 2.5" piping?

the question is if you do your cat back all 3 "...would you have enough back pressure?

my set up is from the 2nd muffler/ resonator ( which is 2.5, i think) then the pipe is replaced with 2.7 i believe and the end of the muffler is streched to 3" to fit the 3 inch magnagna flow.
sounds sick as hell, but i wanna put a magnaflow resonator or somthing not to loud but a noticable gain.

maybe from cat back it will all be 2.75 or 3" inlet? idk