PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a painted engine?

Kyles 202
10-20-2007, 12:35 PM
has anyone here painted their engine a custom color? anyone have pics? cause my engine is sooo dirty and old looking i was thinking of painting it with enamel paint, also how do i remove the upper part of the main engine to paint it?
thanks,
kyle

predrag1
10-20-2007, 12:54 PM
one member here painted his orange

not sure who it was, ill try to find pics

here

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11238&highlight=c280+turbo

Kyles 202
10-20-2007, 02:24 PM
thanks 4 the link, that guy's engine looks real nice with the orange-black combo

RemoLexi
10-21-2007, 11:22 AM
sacc230 has his covers painted custom ..

sacc230
10-21-2007, 06:48 PM
dont no if u would call it custom but its something

RemoLexi
10-21-2007, 07:05 PM
not stock = custom :)

sacc230
10-21-2007, 10:05 PM
i guess thats true:o

blind26
10-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Woo my engine got some love ;)

It's actually more red now..
http://blind.4nracing.com/gallery/101307/images/IMG_3180.jpg
http://blind.4nracing.com/gallery/101307/images/IMG_3182.jpg

More pictures can be found @ www.turbobenz.com

Kyles 202
10-22-2007, 11:16 AM
hey blind was it difficult taking off that top engine part and painting it? do u recomend amatuers doing it or would it just cause engine malfunctions? also do u know what bolts or screws one should remove in order to take off that engine part to paint? thanks,
kyle

blind26
10-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Here is a writeup I had posted in another thread...

"For the center plastic part, I'd clean it up real good with paint prep and use a good plastic-friendly primer. From there, use a high-temp engine paint of your choice...

For the metal part of the valve cover, it's a little tricker. Mercedes uses an aluminuim-alloy that becomes distorted and brittle over time. To make matters worse, the paint that is on the engine cover is a powder-coated process that once it starts to bubble and fail, spreads through the whole cover.

If you want to tackle the valve cover like I did, here is a quick write up:

1. Order new valve cover gaskets (you will need them, the stockers dry out and become brittle 'plastic')
2. Remove valve cover and remove old brittle gaskets.
3. Cover open engine w/ plastic to prevent debris from getting into the engine
4. Sand or media blast (with a fine medium, anything too corse WILL mar up the soft aluminum)
5. As you take the powercoating off, you will notice how distorted the cover really is. From here, using a sanding wheel and some patience, smooth out the cover (this isn't nessesary, just makes the final product look better)
6. Especially around the coil packs, you will see cracks in the valve cover. This is due to heat/thermal expansion. For these spots, I just took them down a little with a griding wheel and fixed the issues with some light application of JB weld.
7. After you are done with the outside, tackle the inside. The same process that was on the outside of the valve cover, is on the inside as well, and you will notice the paint has bubbled/fallen INTO your motor.
8. Remove the plastic breather caps inside the valve cover using philips head screwdriver. Be careful doing this, because you can easily strip these scews.
9. Either sandblast/paint stripper/sand this part as well.
10. After that is all stripped, make sure you still have a clean working outside surface.
11. Mask off the rubber breather holes and intake screws with painters tape. You don't want paint on these parts.
12. Use 2 even coats of Engine Hi-Temp primer. Let set for specified set time (I think around 30-40 minutes)
13. Use color of choice Hi-Temp engine paint. Make sure you use even light coats. Less is more at this stage. Make sure you do multiple coats to get a nice finish. (I would not recomend clear coating the cover. I say this because obviously you are going to want to use a hi-temp clear. Well, I tried this process once, and had very bad results, which caused me having to paint again. The clear set nice, but after drying, left me with a milky-white finish that looked horrible)
13a. Do NOT paint the inside of the cover again. This will just lead to failure like stock later on.
14. Let the paint set for a good 24 hours before touching
15. Don't forget to bolt up your oil breathers inside the valve cover (I forgot the first time :rolleyes: )
16. Install your new gaskets
17. Install your valve cover back on the motor. If I recall (please double-check) the torque specs on the valve cover bolts are 12 ft lbs.
18. Bask in your glory.

Wow, that wasn't a short write-up at all! lol

Here is samples of what I did:

This is my first attempt. This is the one that I clear-coated with Hi-temp. You can see the milkyness of the finish. I am kind of glad the clear failed, because I wasn't happy with the color. It was supposed to be a darker red, but came out orange.
http://blind.4nracing.com/gallery/031007/images/IMG_2583.jpg

Here is my second attempt, this time with a different red and no clear.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/blind26/benzmotor/IMG_2695.jpg

Hope this helps."

predrag1
10-22-2007, 11:46 AM
ur engine looks really clean, did u clean it up your self?

if not, where did u do it and how much did it cost u?

blind26
10-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by predrag1
ur engine looks really clean, did u clean it up your self?

if not, where did u do it and how much did it cost u?

I cleaned it all myself. Stripped the engine down, cleaned everything with simple green and other strippers and reassembled with all new seals. No more leaks ;)

Picture of when the motor was first being pulled:
http://blind.4nracing.com/images/enginepull1.jpg

predrag1
10-22-2007, 04:41 PM
damn to bad u live on east coast, id pay u to do mine :D

that is if u wanted ;)

jstrat85
10-22-2007, 05:08 PM
this is mine.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/jstrat85/johnpics022-2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/jstrat85/johnpics023.jpg

Kyles 202
10-22-2007, 06:19 PM
looks nice jstrat, i know how to remove that orange cover in the center of the engine, but how did u remove the orange surrounding part of it? what tools do u need to take it off to paint? is it easy or should i not bother doing it if its too hard, thanks

omeyhomey
10-22-2007, 06:36 PM
if you really want it to look good. Take off the middle & front plastic peices. Mask off the entire engine bay except the areas you want to paint with blue painters tape and news paper. Sand it down with a 240 then 400 grit. Then apply semi-gloss black duplicolor engine enamel. Then put everything back together and it will be all black and will never look old. It will also look very OEM. hope that helps

jstrat85
10-23-2007, 10:22 AM
for you to do a right job you need to take the cover off sand it and paint it, when you do that you will also need a new gasket.

rman
10-23-2007, 01:22 PM
a new memeber with an arsenal of insanely simple questions easily answered by the search button.

is troll time again?

Kyles 202
10-24-2007, 12:40 PM
i saw your car rman, replace those horrible wheels with something better, unless you are drawn to ugliness.

those are my 2 pennies.

rman
10-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Kyles 202
i saw your car rman, replace those horrible wheels with something better, unless you are drawn to ugliness.

those are my 2 pennies.

i'm surprised you know what wheels are.
I am perfectly happy with my wheels and they will be included when I sell this 9 year old lead sled.

Kyles 202
10-24-2007, 04:33 PM
just crash it into a tree, cause nobody in their right mind would buy that from you haha

Len013091
10-24-2007, 05:53 PM
I see no problem with Rman's wheels, and I hate large chrome things. Got any pictures of your car?

rman
10-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Len013091
I see no problem with Rman's wheels, and I hate large chrome things. Got any pictures of your car?

i used to hate chrome but now love it, it's just got to be used properly.

Also the rims on my 202 are lowenhart L6 reps, so they are actually "euro".... not that i care about that shit.

Crash it into a tree? Before or after I fuck your mother?
I will run this into a tree only after installing a fake BOV.

Len013091
10-24-2007, 06:55 PM
What company makes those wheels? I like the L6, but do they come in a silver paint color?

Kyles 202
10-24-2007, 06:59 PM
the only reason id fukk every woman in your family bloodline is so they reproduce more motherfukkers like you so i can kill em. the more basstards with your blood in em, the more thers to kill. i should slaughter your whole family just for aggravating me kid. you have no idea who the fukk your messing with

jnolte
10-24-2007, 07:02 PM
the only reason id fukk every woman in your family bloodline is so they reproduce more motherfukkers like you so i can kill em. the more basstards with your blood in em, the more thers to kill. i should slaughter your whole family just for aggravating me kid. you have no idea who the fukk your messing with

watch out another pc thug, get this clown out of here!

OCKlasse
10-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
watch out another pc thug, get this clown out of here!

same one as always...can't you tell by the BOV post?

Kyles 202
10-24-2007, 07:36 PM
the guy OC above is named Joshua Finkelstein, he has a frizbee on his head and curlies hanging over his ears, he loves to mention the hoolakoost every 10 seconds, and mentions the words anty-zemmyte every 5 seconds. did i forget that he thinks hes the chosen one? yeh the chosen one for extermination. Joshua Finkelstein,(the kike-nigger hybrid) please take off your glasses and enter the gas chamber, no need to push in line, your turn is up.

rman
10-24-2007, 08:10 PM
the guy OC above is named Joshua Finkelstein, he has a frizbee on his head and curlies hanging over his ears, he loves to mention the hoolakoost every 10 seconds, and mentions the words anty-zemmyte every 5 seconds. did i forget that he thinks hes the chosen one? yeh the chosen one for extermination. Joshua Finkelstein,(the kike-nigger hybrid) please take off your glasses and enter the gas chamber, no need to push in line, your turn is up.

good one.

Wow, you've just proved that you are 8 years old, the same GOD DAMN TROLL as always.

you always threaten me in a hostile, wanna-be ghetto manner

you always bash OCK for being jewish

you always ask stupid fucking questions

you still have a penis permanently inserted in your ass

Your ban will come shortly, thanks for the kind words and entertainment. Good luck with the engine painting and Kickdown button.

OCKlasse
10-24-2007, 09:40 PM

You're cute...and the reason why I'll never leave Orange County.

taimyshukah
10-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Oh snaps. This kid is a straight douche.

Denlasoul
10-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Cannot believe I missed this Thread (maybe b/c of the title)!

Anyway, no tolerance for hate on the Board.

Consider yourself banned Kyle.