PDA

View Full Version : Turbo question

Spoonman
10-23-2007, 12:03 PM
I was just wondering how much it would cost, and what would be involved in turbocharging a C180. I doubt Im gonna do it but its a lingering question in my mind. Of course if I was gonna go through the effort and expense of turbocharing, then an intercooler would also be on my shopping list.

kyo216
10-23-2007, 02:09 PM
10,000 US.

JRE320
10-23-2007, 02:20 PM
$5,000 US

jnolte
10-23-2007, 03:52 PM
4,999 us

Cru328prod
10-23-2007, 04:00 PM
$4,998 if you can get someone to replicate whats his face with the black turbo 220

RemoLexi
10-23-2007, 06:17 PM
start by searching and finding out what your engine can handle.

first clue - look in your owners manual and see what your compression ratio is, I dont think its gonna be impossible but you may get away with safely running 6-8psi so around 1/2bar.

ImportPR
10-23-2007, 09:13 PM
the main thing on ANY car going the boost route is tuning. as long as you have the right tools to tune your car right, compression is not an issue. do your research, it's going to cost some money to boost the car but deffiently cheaper than a brand name turbo kit. I'm making my own turbo kit for my Hyundai, YES HYUNDAI!! the engine can handle over 450HP on stock internals!! but let me keep it on topic hehe. :D

Cru328prod
10-24-2007, 03:40 AM
lmao have fun paying benz to fix your car...........mines is right back in the shop...............

RemoLexi
10-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by ImportPR
the main thing on ANY car going the boost route is tuning. as long as you have the right tools to tune your car right, compression is not an issue. do your research, it's going to cost some money to boost the car but deffiently cheaper than a brand name turbo kit. I'm making my own turbo kit for my Hyundai, YES HYUNDAI!! the engine can handle over 450HP on stock internals!! but let me keep it on topic hehe. :D

you sure about that ??

... wouldnt want a C180 owner here with a granaded engine.

Cru328prod
10-24-2007, 08:47 AM
hahah the max is about 340........still have to upgrade fuel.....i've learned that the w202 aren't really worth hooking up proformance wize. Price on parts, fabraction, etc....its just honestly not worth it......i mean shit......i have a c230 kompressor
Pulleys
MAF relocation
Nitrous 80 shot
Custom CAI
$1,500 just for 110hp gain
so i was looking about 300 hp just to the engine.........$1,500 could have bought me a 1992 Ford Mustang 5.0 with a decent built motor pushing 300hp to the wheels.

rman
10-24-2007, 09:27 AM
i highly doubt a hyundai's internals will support 450hp. I highly doubt it would safetly handle 300hp.

And no matter how good your tune is Compression Ratio is always important. Why do you think they build engines with low C/Rs specifically for boosted applications? Not because there is a lack of good tuners, it's because C/R must be low for boost. If it wasn't important all engines would be high compression, and just tuned properly.

You can boost a high C/R engine, but not much. Even then you are pushing the limits. The fun with boost, whether it's s/c or turbo, is turning up the wick and making things a little crazy. Not being conservative and pushing 4psi.

Factory boosted engines would come with 10:1+ C/Rs and the factory tune would be spot on. Remember, when modding a car you are deviating from something that has been tested and conservatively built. The factory programming is always set conservatively because there are so many important factors.

Let's say that you magically are pushing 450hp on your otherwise stock hyundai. What happens when the temperature drops in the winter? Do you run to the nearest dyno to get a new tune? Or do you drop your boost and re-tune?

Or lets say your MAF starts to go out, or is overextended. You lean out....BOOOOM! Tune was perfect, unfortuantely the MAF went out. Or maybe it got a little dirty and wasn't reading all the air coming in. FUel filter clogs? Normally it would just hinder performance, but on a 450hp hyundai...BOOOOM!

If hyundai motors could support 450ph #1 Hyundais wouldn't be gay and #2 everyone would be swapping them in since they are dirt cheap. I would put one in my 202, custom turbo. I could then sell the 2.8 v6 in my 202 and still have money leftover for paying people to believe me.

Cru328prod
10-24-2007, 09:34 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA awman..........its not worth hooking up your daily driver car...........save and splurg on a camaro or a mustang........but shit if u find a c43.........you'll be set thats somthing worth hooking up

Spoonman
10-24-2007, 11:23 AM
I live in britain, big engines mean huge insurance costs, insurance here is required by law, and the younger you are and the bigger your engine is the more you pay, in fact if I bought a C43 I probably couldnt even find anyone who would insure me for less than £5000. But you can always "Forget" to declare mods ;)

ImportPR
10-24-2007, 11:56 AM
well buddy i've been around cars before I could drive. you obviously know shit about Hyundais. why not pay a visit to www.rdtiburon.com and inform yourself. yes they CAN handle 450hp on a otherwise stock engine consisting of 1.8l beta pistons and rods on the 2.0 block. the v6 guys are known to push well over 400hp on relatively low boost(around12psi). you see, i am not biased on a brand of cars, i respect every brand and most of the time i try no to bash a brand cause its cheap o shitty.

then tell me why hi comp is an issue? the answer is simple DETONATION. low compression its just a way to lower the risk of knocking and people taking the car to warranty with messed up engine because the put some cheap gas. and the mafs on the hyundai dont crap out just like that, you think every car is plagged with problems just like mercerdes benz.
i wouldnt spent my money boosting my 202, love the look of the car but the power is nowhere to be found.

on a side note, I am Puertorican and we've been on the import tuning scene WAY before the silly Hollywood movies. just like Aussies and the Kiwi boys, we love rotary engines and there my friend is a whole 'nother story. :D

450HP on a re-maped STOCK ECU.
http://www.kdmstuff.com/infodesk/banner.php?number=56

I still say compression is not an issue if you tune it right, another thing every engine respond different to modifications. if you know about cars you know that every car that have been modded the life span on the engine is going to be shorter.
this is just my opinion.
thats all for now, good day.

rman
10-24-2007, 04:07 PM
well buddy i've been around cars before I could drive. you obviously know shit about Hyundais. why not pay a visit to www.rdtiburon.com and inform yourself. yes they CAN handle 450hp on a otherwise stock engine consisting of 1.8l beta pistons and rods on the 2.0 block. the v6 guys are known to push well over 400hp on relatively low boost(around12psi). you see, i am not biased on a brand of cars, i respect every brand and most of the time i try no to bash a brand cause its cheap o shitty.

then tell me why hi comp is an issue? the answer is simple DETONATION. low compression its just a way to lower the risk of knocking and people taking the car to warranty with messed up engine because the put some cheap gas. and the mafs on the hyundai dont crap out just like that, you think every car is plagged with problems just like mercerdes benz.
i wouldnt spent my money boosting my 202, love the look of the car but the power is nowhere to be found.

on a side note, I am Puertorican and we've been on the import tuning scene WAY before the silly Hollywood movies. just like Aussies and the Kiwi boys, we love rotary engines and there my friend is a whole 'nother story. :D

450HP on a re-maped STOCK ECU.
http://www.kdmstuff.com/infodesk/banner.php?number=56

I still say compression is not an issue if you tune it right, another thing every engine respond different to modifications. if you know about cars you know that every car that have been modded the life span on the engine is going to be shorter.
this is just my opinion.
thats all for now, good day.

you are too funny. You are right though, I don't know shit about hyundais. And no, I don't wish to learn more about them.

But using different pistons and rods is not considered stock, even if they came out of another hyundai engine, it's still not stock.

I am unlike yourself, i WILL bash a brand if it is cheap and shitty lol.

If compression wasn't an issue why do AFTERMARKET engine builders, who build RACE engines, use high CR for N/A and low CR for boost? Because it's smart.

There is much more to detonation than using cheap gas, etc. You have timing for appropriate octane, A/F curves, etc.

And no not every car is "plagged" (i assume you mean plagued) with shitty MAFS and other conditions. But a MAF isn't going to last forever on any car, and they are still susceptible to getting dirty, etc.
What happens when you peg your MAF?

You are right, modding a car will shorten the life span. I'm sure a daewoo will handle 1000hp. FOr about 2 seconds.

OVerall, you are wrong, overzealous, and read too much on the internet. Engine building is engine building, there are basics and fundamentals to it all.

ImportPR
10-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by rman
you are too funny. You are right though, I don't know shit about hyundais. And no, I don't wish to learn more about them.

But using different pistons and rods is not considered stock, even if they came out of another hyundai engine, it's still not stock.

I am unlike yourself, i WILL bash a brand if it is cheap and shitty lol.

If compression wasn't an issue why do AFTERMARKET engine builders, who build RACE engines, use high CR for N/A and low CR for boost? Because it's smart.

There is much more to detonation than using cheap gas, etc. You have timing for appropriate octane, A/F curves, etc.

And no not every car is "plagged" (i assume you mean plagued) with shitty MAFS and other conditions. But a MAF isn't going to last forever on any car, and they are still susceptible to getting dirty, etc.
What happens when you peg your MAF?

You are right, modding a car will shorten the life span. I'm sure a daewoo will handle 1000hp. FOr about 2 seconds.

OVerall, you are wrong, overzealous, and read too much on the internet. Engine building is engine building, there are basics and fundamentals to it all.
LOL this is getting us nowhere. i dont feel like explaining with detail the pros and cons of a boosted hi comp car.... too bad my english is somewhat limited.:rolleyes: i just going to end the argument here. theres no worst blind man than the one that dont want to see.

Spoonman
10-25-2007, 01:00 AM
LoL you want to mod a hyundai but youre not interested in reading up on them? Thats a mistake followed by a blown engine waiting to happen :p

benzboy
10-25-2007, 01:16 AM
WTF, i'm a "kiwi" and I and most people I know hate friggin rotarys, horrible flawed engine that makes no torque and an awful noise!!!

Use craploads of fuel too

c280nz
10-25-2007, 02:41 AM
haha boys chill down.

Quick side note: my understanding

the reason engine builders lower the compression is to allow running higher boost to get the turbo up into its efficiency range,
turbos arnt very efficient at running low boost.
to run low boost you need a large turbo,
were as you can run a smaller turbo at higher boost shifting more air for its size and taking up less room in the engine bay.

there is magic figures for the correct copresssion ratio but you can run higher compression and lower boost, you just need a big turbo to flow it :-)

btw i am one of the "silly" ones trying to make more power out of my benz.

at the moment it is in a few parts in shed getting exhaust turbo header made.

il keep u guys updated tho

Cru328prod
10-25-2007, 04:01 AM
rman.............bashing is for kids lmao

who cares about Hyundais?

ITS A %^&*ing HYUNDAY

i say if its not german or american i don't *uck with it...i hate ricers

Spoonman
10-25-2007, 05:01 AM
I say messing with the power on your benz is good if only because not many people do it, modding a car is all about getting it individual, and there arent many performance orianted custom mercs around, part from a few cossie 190's

On a side note - I love rotary engines! I went to drift meeting this summer and those RX-7's are fantastic.

RemoLexi
10-25-2007, 07:04 AM
AW CMON I WANTED TO SEE A 450HP HYUNDAI !!!!!! :D

Cru328prod
10-25-2007, 07:28 AM
the only upside to rotary engines is.........less parts.
Thats the way i felt about my car..........theres tons of SRT-4s and civics, but how many hooked up benz's are there.
But like a fellow 202'er says IF IT NOT DONE RIGHT, DON'T DO IT ALL. the HP to $ ratio is very highhhhhhhhhhh. If you f somthing up........your not gonna be able to sit for a while. Plus alot of stuff on the w202 needs dealer programing!!!..............

RemoLexi
10-25-2007, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Spoonman
I say messing with the power on your benz is good if only because not many people do it, modding a car is all about getting it individual, and there arent many performance orianted custom mercs around, part from a few cossie 190's

On a side note - I love rotary engines! I went to drift meeting this summer and those RX-7's are fantastic.

oh yes. the twin-turbo all stock RX-7s. they call them the vette chasers!

those can easily be modded to run down a vette like no tomarrow! and imagine - a 2rotor engine vs. V8 ?? ahahah makes me laugh!

Spoonman
10-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Cru328prod
the only upside to rotary engines is.........less parts.
Thats the way i felt about my car..........theres tons of SRT-4s and civics, but how many hooked up benz's are there.
But like a fellow 202'er says IF IT NOT DONE RIGHT, DON'T DO IT ALL. the HP to $ ratio is very highhhhhhhhhhh. If you f somthing up........your not gonna be able to sit for a while. Plus alot of stuff on the w202 needs dealer programing!!!..............

Unless u go down the ultra expensive route of changing everything short of the block. I read a magazine called Redline and Id love to see a 202 done to the standards that you see supras and skylines done, but it would cost more money than those supras or skylines dispite the fact that most 202's are cheaper stock... or theres always engine swaps.

rman
10-25-2007, 05:11 PM
hey hey hey...i'm not bashing, not originally at least. I am just doubtful that a stock block hyundai can push 450hp boosted.

This is most definitely a high-boost application, because 450hp is going to be attained with 5lbs of boost.

Anyhow, that's it for me. I don't want to argue about a hyundai nor do I want to learn more. Even if I was wrong, I really don't care a whole lot.

NW_Merc
10-28-2007, 04:43 AM
Unless u go down the ultra expensive route of changing everything short of the block. I read a magazine called Redline and Id love to see a 202 done to the standards that you see supras and skylines done, but it would cost more money than those supras or skylines dispite the fact that most 202's are cheaper stock... or theres always engine swaps.

There is a member on mbclub.co.uk called Koolvin who has turbo charged his W202 C180. It was 122 bhp but after tuning he was pushing 200 bhp. That was what he wanted and it was very impressive what he had done.

Spoonman
10-28-2007, 02:10 PM
I find it strange that some engines seem to be very untunable, Im sure theres lots of complicated engineering reasons for that, but 200 from a turbo C180 seems great, untill you realise that you can get 300 with just bolt on parts from something like a CA18DET. Damn japs *waves fist*

c280nz
10-28-2007, 11:46 PM
I find it strange that some engines seem to be very untunable, Im sure theres lots of complicated engineering reasons for that, but 200 from a turbo C180 seems great, untill you realise that you can get 300 with just bolt on parts from something like a CA18DET. Damn japs *waves fist*

and be like every other fuka thats spent $300 on there ca18det.

The reason i changed to mercedes is to be different, they are relatively rare cars over hear, thus much cooler :D

Proven Guilty
10-28-2007, 11:52 PM

not a stock head gasket. pulling the head imo counts as "internals" as it's not bolt-on equipment.

rman
10-29-2007, 02:27 AM
well buddy i've been around cars before I could drive. you obviously know shit about Hyundais. why not pay a visit to www.rdtiburon.com and inform yourself. yes they CAN handle 450hp on a otherwise stock engine consisting of 1.8l beta pistons and rods on the 2.0 block.

Originally posted by Proven Guilty
not a stock head gasket. pulling the head imo counts as "internals" as it's not bolt-on equipment.

Yeah, and he's already stated that it has different pistons and rods.... whatever the fuck beta pistons are

Cru328prod
10-29-2007, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by RemoLexi
oh yes. the twin-turbo all stock RX-7s. they call them the vette chasers!

those can easily be modded to run down a vette like no tomarrow! and imagine - a 2rotor engine vs. V8 ?? ahahah makes me laugh!

LMAO TWIN TURBO A LS1/LS2/LS6/LS7/LT1/LT5 etc etc Engines......you'll use the floorboards as brakes sitting in the passanger seat

Section 8
11-12-2007, 03:30 PM
who the fuck spends money on hyundai's????????????

Cru328prod
11-12-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Section 8
who the fuck spends money on hyundai's????????????

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

one word BURNED!!!!!!!!!! :D

Pagz
11-18-2007, 01:58 PM
I was just wondering how much it would cost, and what would be involved in turbocharging a C180. I doubt Im gonna do it but its a lingering question in my mind. Of course if I was gonna go through the effort and expense of turbocharing, then an intercooler would also be on my shopping list.

If mosselman still makes a kit for the 180,it would be the cheapest most reliable option.

As for full custom(the only other option i know of)
the price will depend on what your trying to achieve,and what you are willing to comprimise to get there.

ppl will say you can build a system for next to nothing....others will say its gonna cost sh!t loads.
Unless your best friend is a fabricator,engine tuner and all round nice guy then its gonna cost sh!t loads.

Keep it stock....save your money,buy a car that was ment to go fast.

c280nz
11-19-2007, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by 23K

Unless your best friend is a fabricator,engine tuner and all round nice guy then its gonna cost sh!t loads.

how did you know :-)

Cru328prod
11-19-2007, 03:41 AM
i wanna move to new zeeland:D

Pagz
11-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by c280nz
how did you know :-)

:D

Offtopic, see those street racers in the herald this morning...hit a guy who was unloading his truck...the guy they hit went through the wind sheild and broke pretty much every bone there is,died.
two or 3 from each car(subaru/nissan)are in hospital too.
Werent they down your way?

some ppl ay:rolleyes:

Spoonman
11-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Where was that? Some people are idiots. Someone I know has an Evo 8 and coming home from a touring car race someone in a sierra cosworth wanted to race him, he did, untill at about 140mph he noticed the sierra was getting realy unstable (Lets just say Evos have better handling than old fords) and he got out of it just coz he didnt trust the other guy to be sensible. Not that doing 140 is sensible but its more sensible in an Evo than most cars just coz it can handle the speed.

c280nz
11-19-2007, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by 23K
:D

Offtopic, see those street racers in the herald this morning...hit a guy who was unloading his truck...the guy they hit went through the wind sheild and broke pretty much every bone there is,died.
two or 3 from each car(subaru/nissan)are in hospital too.
Werent they down your way?

some ppl ay:rolleyes:

no that was in auckland ;)
were more sensible than that down here! (palmy)

Pagz
11-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by c280nz
no that was in auckland ;)
were more sensible than that down here! (palmy)

oh =P