PDA

View Full Version : problem in front wheels

predrag1
10-24-2007, 05:24 PM
sometimes when im backing up from a parking lot and I turn my steering wheel to one side by alot, I feel like I ran over a rock with one of my front wheels but there was no rock, im getting this more and more, what could this be?

jnolte
10-24-2007, 06:54 PM
ball joints or bearings?

NEA-4311
10-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Sh***t ..!!! I have that same stupid problem for at least 6 months now. Ive replaced every rubber joint in my entire front system, checked the balljoints several times in different repairshops and in the stealership, changed both of my wheel bearings and its still there even though everything checked out!

However, one time they said it was the bearing cup and they replaced it... It was ok for some little time but then it started again. Dont know if it was because it was summer, cause it only makes it when the car is sitting for at least an hour and the weather is cool or cold.

So my advice it to check the bearing cup from the wheels first and see if they need to be replaced. Let us know please.

JRE320
10-25-2007, 09:06 AM
I got the same problem. Please advise if you find any solution to it.

predrag1
10-25-2007, 11:27 AM
not sure when ill have my car checked, ima go to this guy maybe next week to check some things on my car, hes a mechanic and owns his own mercedes repair shop, he worked in germany, he might be able to help out

NEA-4311
10-26-2007, 01:48 AM
Sounds cool. Now we wait.

predrag1
10-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by NEA-4311
Sounds cool. Now we wait.

ahh sorry u might wait fora while :(

I have bigger probs, might have to replace my head gasket

NEA-4311
10-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Awww what happened? Was it you or just the car aging? Did water passed inside the oil compartment? G

predrag1
10-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Awww what happened? Was it you or just the car aging? Did water passed inside the oil compartment? G

im not sure, my car has been overheating really bad lately and remo is gona help me check it out tomorrow, hopefully its not the gasket but theres a big chance it is

its a 94 c280, car is really clean and I dont really have any big problems except that issue with overheating and the starting problem, I can live with the starting problem but I wanna get this fixed coz it might get worse

once I pay my college loan of ima take it to the benz service and do a complete checkup to see what needs to be fixed

RemoLexi
10-26-2007, 06:20 PM
ill give you a call tomarrow,

hopefully the tech is working he will take a look both at your overheating and wheel problem

:) await my command!

predrag1
10-26-2007, 06:23 PM
sound good man :cool:

OzC36
10-26-2007, 09:04 PM
predrag,

Good news maybe. It depends if you have a chatter noise or a clunk noise. I can tell you the chatter noise on reversing with the wheel turned is a simple problem!

The outside front edge of your front tyre rubs on the cooling louvres (vents) or other part of the plastic cover inside the wheelhouse. Very noisy!

Have a look at mine:

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/3998/dsc02068fi8.th.jpg (http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02068fi8.jpg)
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/9043/dsc04799bu5.th.jpg (http://img86.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc04799bu5.jpg)

To fix, just re-secure the plastic moulding clear of your wheel, or replace the part.

If it is a clunk noise, well I am still working on that!

Cheers,
OzC36

PS. Can you tell us the symptoms of your overheating problem and why you suspect head gasket? Such as, coolant loss, water in the engine oil, oil in the coolant, coolant leaking from engine bay, etc...

predrag1
10-26-2007, 10:05 PM
hmm will check if its rubbing but I doubt its that :p

about overheating

well lets just say that sometimes the temperature in the car is like 60 but in the engine its like 100

most of the time when I stop at a traffic light the scale is over 100 and sometimes it almost reaches the red zone, the fans come on

sometiems its not that bad but I mean its not normal, the scale should not go over 100 after like 5-10 mins of driving

well I dont know much about engines and that stuff but I compared my coolant level with my sisters lol and it was the same, she has no overheating issues and last time remo saw my engine he said my head gasket looked bad, it kinda is a lil dirty around there I must say, well we'll check it out tomorow hopefully and see what happens

there is a very small leak under my car, duno if this is related to my heat issue, up front where u can see that screw under the car, thats where the oil is dripping from slowly, maybe a drop per day

sorry cant exmplainany better, ima take some pics tomorow maybe

OzC36
10-28-2007, 05:01 AM
Front end clunking - not the same C Class but still a very interesting synopsis and discussion of front end clunking.

http://www.mbfanatics.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=3433

NEA-4311
11-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Hey predrag1, could this be the source (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13931) of the problem?

predrag1
11-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Hey predrag1, could this be the source (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13931) of the problem?

hmm I have no idea, the car is at the shop atm, head gasket being replaced, the guy said he might take a look at it, remo thinks its the bushings :(

RemoLexi
11-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Predrag, to give you an update on your car,

its needs a harness also, plus alot of other things, Ralph the tech has made a list and says it may be up to 2K in repairs. :(

he will give you a call next week. I just got off work we were both checking your car out. he noted your LCA bushings are far the worst hes ever seen (no surpise with the way u drive) :p

predrag1
11-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by RemoLexi
Predrag, to give you an update on your car,

its needs a harness also, plus alot of other things, Ralph the tech has made a list and says it may be up to 2K in repairs. :(

he will give you a call next week. I just got off work we were both checking your car out. he noted your LCA bushings are far the worst hes ever seen (no surpise with the way u drive) :p

sigh :( lol

lemme know what the list is and ill see

ill be able to pay him that much but not before 7th of this month so first can u please ask him to get the most important stuff fixed :)

i guess the most serious problem is my gasket right??

RemoLexi
11-03-2007, 06:58 PM
headgasket yes. but we need to find out why its overheating AFTER we fix the headgasket.

he will have to strip your cylinderhead and have it pressure tested too at the machine shop for any cracks that may have accured while you ran your engine with the temperature needle hugging the fuel gauges' needle (or that doesnt make sence since your low on gas LOL)

predrag1
11-03-2007, 07:03 PM
headgasket yes. but we need to find out why its overheating AFTER we fix the headgasket.

he will have to strip your cylinderhead and have it pressure tested too at the machine shop for any cracks that may have accured while you ran your engine with the temperature needle hugging the fuel gauges' needle (or that doesnt make sence since your low on gas LOL)

so....uh what happens if it cracked :(

NEA-4311
11-04-2007, 08:10 AM
You will need another engine.

RemoLexi
11-04-2007, 01:22 PM
well no, because the block is cast iron, it can withstand the heat, but when it transfers the heat from the iron block to the aluminium cyl-head it can crack because it wont take that much heat. this is why those headgaskets leak and blow easy.

if there is a crack in the cylinder head I dont see why you cant get away with another cylinder head ...

NEA-4311
11-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Oh sorry, I thought you meant the engine block. Damn me and my lack of english tech terms! :mad:

predrag1
11-04-2007, 04:59 PM
well no, because the block is cast iron, it can withstand the heat, but when it transfers the heat from the iron block to the aluminium cyl-head it can crack because it wont take that much heat. this is why those headgaskets leak and blow easy.

if there is a crack in the cylinder head I dont see why you cant get away with another cylinder head ...

which would cost another thousand right :confused:

lol

RemoLexi
11-04-2007, 08:53 PM
only $997.

jkjk, I dont know. you can find one on ebay maybe? but ill let the tech figure out exactly what the car needs.

V1Dreamer
11-07-2007, 08:18 PM
on the topic of the clunk in reverse when steering wheel is turned at lock or close to it...
i have the same problem, and found out that when at lock or close to it. the wheels have freeplay due to the angle of the idler arm and steering box arm.
i have also seen steering boxes loose.
if you look into your driver side fender well. you should see 3 14mm? bolts. these bolts hold your steering box. try tightening those up a little. but dont over do it, because the bolts are going into the cast case of your steering box, if you strip them out, your Effed In The A.

hope i helped.

svt ricco
11-07-2007, 09:01 PM
this thing also happens to me, not only when backing up, also when i make a u-turn

mike mac
01-08-2010, 02:38 PM
same, i hear a creak in my steering when ever i turn... mostly in reverse but sometimes when i brake and turn or something as simple as pulling into the grocery store parking spot. i replaced every single suspension component from bushing and arms to lowering springs shocks, arms etc etc ....

it scares me knowing that i replaced every component and this is still happening. No Hub bearings were not replaced.