PDA

View Full Version : ECU swap - VIN issues ??

RemoLexi
10-24-2007, 06:42 PM
hey guys, maybe some online benz techs can really help me with this one,

alright, ill be getting a decent amount for tunning up my car, Im considering an engine swap as ive found a C36 motor that seems like a good deal (ill check into it)

now, some things i know ill need off the top of my head and some things im still a little weary of ..

1. I was told that if I swap a differnt ECU into my car the VIN wont match with the EIS (basically ignition system) wont start because the VIN's wont match (unless i get the ECU re-programmed) is this true for a fact or is it a possibility ??

2. This is more simple - bell housing, is the M111 motor and the M104 motor share the transmissions ??

Kyles 202
10-24-2007, 06:50 PM
how do you reset an ECU? would u recomend resetting it if you get a new exhaust or install a new cai?

RemoLexi
10-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Kyles 202
how do you reset an ECU? would u recomend resetting it if you get a new exhaust or install a new cai?

no no kid, sorry your getting this wrong ...

-what I mean by re-programming the ECU is programming it to think its got a differnt VIN number to match with the cars' EIS which allows it to start (if VINs match up)

-this wouldnt benifit you in any performance way.

-flashing the ECU is re-uploading the OEM factory features agian in case something went wrong. also no performance upgrade benifits.

now, what you want is a ECU chip - SEARCH in the classifieds for a speedinnovation chip that will do you some performance goods!

now, back to MY topic and technical questions! :)

Len013091
10-24-2007, 06:57 PM
I've read that the transmissions are the same, but they are programmed differently. Also, the C230 has a 3.27 Rear differ, but the 280 has a 3.07, not sure how much of an effect that would have though.

c280nz
10-25-2007, 02:46 AM
i cant imagine the engine will bolt up to the trans, if the block was the same itd use the same engine number
eg
m104 is in the c280
and in the c36
hence the tranys can be changed between them.
i could be wrong, but im 99% sure it wont work

RemoLexi
10-25-2007, 07:15 AM
Len, ill be looking into the diff.s do you know that information for a fact or did they change stuff up year after year ??

c280nz, im with you on that but. im leaning towards the fact that its two completly differnt transmissions, but even though we are talking an M111 vs. M104 they are two similar blocks just ones extended by 2cyl. its would make sence though even if they did in fect bolt right up the gear ratios may be differnt, and also id expect the M111 tranmission to be weaker.

well, if anyone else has some good information on this, jump right in! :) thank you!

c55m8o
10-25-2007, 09:55 AM
How much is a good price if I may ask? you getting the tranni too? ( do you want a c36 tranni? )

RemoLexi
10-25-2007, 05:53 PM
$1200. no transmission im not sure about the ECU/harness and I also may need to look into the condition of it yet still id have a few plans to rebuild it.

yes id need a transmission for it. :)

c55m8o
10-26-2007, 08:26 PM
gotchya. well, you know I have a guy with all of it, and could'a answered all your questions (could even do the work, but little matter of all those states between us ;)), but he's look'n for a good deal more for the engine & tranni. Hope'n for the best for ya.