PDA

View Full Version : Horrible front susp squeeling noise - is it the ball joint?

IRISH_MERC
10-28-2007, 03:04 PM
Hello all,

My 1998 W202 is making an awfully loud squeeling/squeeking noise from the front left wheel. Its so bad that I darn't even drive it. I believe that the ball joint may be the problem, and this has been suggested to me by a merc mechanic over the phone also. Its got 114K mls on the clock.

The cause? I hit road kill on an Irish freeway last week at about 70mph , and I think thats the culprit but not sure.

Any suggestions? Thanks

OzC36
10-29-2007, 04:47 AM
My guess is that it is merely some piece of debris caught between the brake calipers and the brake disk (rotor).

Just jack the car remove the wheel and clear out the offending foreign matter.

(PS. You owe me a Guiness!)

IRISH_MERC
10-29-2007, 05:19 AM
thanks, will try that today. It only happens when I turn the wheel slightly to the right.

IRISH_MERC
10-31-2007, 01:50 PM
OK
I removed the wheel and fiddled around, nothing seems to be caught in the brake but it might need a new pad. I also looked at the ball joint and it does not appear to be loose or anything like that (does that mean its ok?). My thoughts were that it simply needs a new brake pad but its only making the noise when the car is moving with the wheel turned slightly to the right and does not make the noise under braking at all.

OzC36
10-31-2007, 04:06 PM
Brake pads normally have a piece of metal buried in them so that when they worn down and need replacement, the buried metal finally makes contact with the brake rotor (disk). This metal to metal contact makes an agonising squeal to alert the driver that the pads are dangerously worn. Perhaps this could be the source of the noise you have?

Will_w202
11-01-2007, 06:25 PM
If it's squealing it may be the hub/wheel bearing. Carefully touch the wheel center after driving it for a while and see if it's hot. Ball joints/bushings will cause thunks and squeaks when they move up and down, like when you hit a bump. They won't do a constant squeal like this, at least I haven't known them to.....

IRISH_MERC
11-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the replys.

It was a wheel bearing on the front left. The new kit only cost €20+fitting. Shes running like silk now.

OzC36
11-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback Irish.

A very good diagnosis Will!