PDA

View Full Version : Bodyroll? wheels rubbing? Not no more ...

RemoLexi
11-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Say hello to my 35mm SOLID front sway bar!

http://a3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/53/l_8e18c5e37ecf1630c33b28c9e9be56ca.jpg

TOP: 35mm
MIDDLE: 26mm
BOTTOM: whatever stock is ..

http://a933.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/63/l_99dfd0d2ede64bd63ab2186fda671d8c.jpg

this got rid of my "wheels rubbing fenders, tires rubbing the top or the wheel arch and major bodyroll decrease" problems!!

... and you guys do know how low the front end is on my car ?? imagine that + 100% never any rubbing!! :D

cost$$$ -$200 FROM MERCEDES-BENZ DEALERSHIP!!!

can you guess ?? this is an ML500 W163 front sway bar retro-fitted on a W202!

just a warning, this may not fit 6-cyl motors due to clearence issues.

RemoLexi
11-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Part number:163 323 17 65 Torsion bar.

predrag1
11-02-2007, 09:57 PM
u put it on already?

damn son:eek:

OCKlasse
11-02-2007, 10:00 PM
good job!

Is it a direct bolt-on replacement?

RemoLexi
11-02-2007, 10:41 PM
yep its installed! its so freakin awesome i can take turns as sharp as i want and the front end wont even roll to the side but the back tires start breaking loose.

LoL

yea it was direct bolt on to the control arms but with the two brakets you have to play around with those, bend a little notch and bolt them one at an angle instead of striaght. it was a total bitch since my car is lowered, just to inform you- this instal cant be donw with a floor jack the front end has to be evenly lifted from the ground so that there is no stress on one wheel while the other is in the air.

agian, the handling, respose is just amazing!! a little more rigid on the ride quality but its fine for my taste.

Denlasoul
11-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Wow that thing is massive!

NEA-4311
11-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Yo Remo, take a look at this thread (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=138999#post138999), were you experiencing anything like predrag1 and/or me? Could your swap radically improve if not fix our problem, what do you reckon?

c280nz
11-02-2007, 11:52 PM
that is awsome custom fitting from another merc! and that thing is uge.
wonder if it will bend the standard sway bar mounts?

Nitrogenbalance
11-03-2007, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
Wow that thing is massive!

What size sway bars do our 43's use??

xvvvz
11-03-2007, 07:17 AM
What the heck happened to your original sway bar to get it all bent up?

714guy
11-03-2007, 08:23 AM
do you know if this will work on a C280.. inline 6?

thanks

Denlasoul
11-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Nitrogenbalance
What size sway bars do our 43's use??
Found two Threads:

1 says the sport and C43 are the same so 26.5mm.

2nd says that the C43 bar is 27.5mm.

I'm guessing they are about the same @26.5mm.

expo5.0
11-03-2007, 04:31 PM
so can we go bigger?

SLAMMED_C
11-03-2007, 05:55 PM
dude thats freakin awesome.. I think my Eibach kit has 29mm fronts (not sure though).
and it bolts right in? it looks like youre not running any sway bar bushings, am i right?
thats cool though man. awesome find. how did you discover it would fit?

RemoLexi
11-03-2007, 06:51 PM
wow , 5-star thread and 328576256x comments - hope I can reply to you guys! first off thanks for the kudos! :)

NEA-4311, ive never had that issues and I still dont (lets keep it that way). altough there is 3 ABS sensors on the cars, two up front behind the rotors and one on the differential - try removing each ones and cleaning it, they are magnetic and may have collected a crap load of debris.

xvvvz , my OEM swaybar comes all bend out of shape to clear the air injection pump.

714guy, I dont think it will clear the I-6 . I will do my best and see if i can find out for you but I dont think you guys can use this swaybar.

SLAMMED_C, Good eye! yea I dont have any bushings BUT I did wrap a 6mm thin layar of rubber in between so its not metal-to-metal. one day I was walking around the shop at Mercedes-Benz picking my nose as usual and I looked up and found myself under the front end of an ML500. I noticed the swaybar was humungous and said out loud "hey I wonder if that will fit my W202". the technitions all laughed at me saying I spend wayy to much money in a car that I almost worship and so I decided to measure the bars' total length, its looked about the same and so I ordered one from the parts' dept. and hey , what do you know - it fit!

:D

enawazh
11-03-2007, 10:40 PM
i wonder what other parts are out there ... just waiting to be discovered.

predrag1
11-03-2007, 11:01 PM
I heard the 7.3L mercedes engine thats in the zonda also works in a 202

:eek:

MBHustla858
11-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by RemoLexi

SLAMMED_C, Good eye! yea I dont have any bushings BUT I did wrap a 6mm thin layar of rubber in between so its not metal-to-meta

that bar doesn't seem ghetto rigged at all....

probrably rides like shit... you need to up the rear bar too so you don't have so much oversteer....

RemoLexi
11-04-2007, 01:25 AM
my ride quality is already been like shit, but hey 19" wheels + 35series tires STRECHED + solid polyurathane bushings + 35mm solid steel swaybar = does it look like im worried about the ride quality???? :D

yes im looking into solutions for the rear as well, but my focus is on my transmission right now. just hit 77,500miles and ehh back of my head feeling I should start saving up for a transmission!

well, I just got home, its past 3am I was at a nice swervy highway testing out the feel of the car and its simply amazing! sure grips like shit on bumpy parts but for the most parts its awesome!!

-need new bushings (for the swaybar)
-need new balljoints
-need bearing service
-accesorie belt (squeeks in 45degree weather)

all thigs that I fucked up within a matter of hours of some hardcore, 3rd gear, 60mph highrevving uphill 15mph-turns! :D

NEA-4311
11-04-2007, 08:07 AM
wow , 5-star thread and 328576256x comments - hope I can reply to you guys! first off thanks for the kudos! :)

NEA-4311, ive never had that issues and I still dont (lets keep it that way). altough there is 3 ABS sensors on the cars, two up front behind the rotors and one on the differential - try removing each ones and cleaning it, they are magnetic and may have collected a crap load of debris.

Thanks for answering dude, I ll look into that.

And guess who's responsible for the 5 star thread. ;)

RemoLexi
11-04-2007, 01:19 PM
I dont know how do threads become 5-star ??

NEA-4311
11-04-2007, 01:36 PM
:rolleyes: ... Its me. Well, you rate it, vote for it. And since I thought it was a good idea and a great find, I thought I'd give it the props!

Denlasoul
11-04-2007, 07:55 PM
I dont know how do threads become 5-star ??
Might have to give you a 1 star! ;)

Nice find though, wondering if an ML55 bar would accomodate more room for the C280's and larger engines.

RemoLexi
11-04-2007, 08:51 PM
yea actually, all the W163 ML's share the same bar, so the ML55 and the ML 320/ML500/ML350 all have the same exact swaybar!

Markland556
11-07-2007, 09:15 AM
So what kind of mounts did you use for this or what would your reccomend. Becasue this sounds very interesting! I would love to have a stiffer ride. And what can we do about the rear?

RemoLexi
11-07-2007, 06:23 PM
they will bolt right on the control arms, and the other two hanging mounts would have to be bolted on at a slight angle (hard to explain)

I have to see if they can sell the mounts the ML's use and have those welded on the chassis like the ML's have.

Markland556
11-08-2007, 08:46 AM
what about bushings?

VIP_MBZ
11-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Very cool find for $200... but honestly for a little more (~$300 at most shops) you get the Eibach version which fits perfectly, comes with bushings, has an available matching rear sway bar, and most importantly has gone through the R&D to ensure that it will work on your car in the long run without compromising your vehicle or your personal safety.

Just my 2 cents.

-Ray

RemoLexi
11-10-2007, 04:55 PM
ehh .. couldnt find eibach for under $420.

rubbing problems were horrible. but I am very satisfied with my results! front end is railed!

Markland556
11-11-2007, 03:50 PM
what about bushings?

RemoLexi
11-11-2007, 05:19 PM
on the control arms you can fit your OEM bushings. on the two mounts you have to use 6mm thin pieces of rubber, wrap them around the swaybar then bolt it up. thats all I did and works perfect!

mike mac
11-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Say hello to my 35mm SOLID front sway bar!

http://a3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/53/l_8e18c5e37ecf1630c33b28c9e9be56ca.jpg

TOP: 35mm
MIDDLE: 26mm
BOTTOM: whatever stock is ..

http://a933.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/63/l_99dfd0d2ede64bd63ab2186fda671d8c.jpg

this got rid of my "wheels rubbing fenders, tires rubbing the top or the wheel arch and major bodyroll decrease" problems!!

... and you guys do know how low the front end is on my car ?? imagine that + 100% never any rubbing!! :D

cost$$$ -$200 FROM MERCEDES-BENZ DEALERSHIP!!!

can you guess ?? this is an ML500 W163 front sway bar retro-fitted on a W202!

just a warning, this may not fit 6-cyl motors due to clearence issues.

"just a warning, this may not fit 6-cyl motors due to clearence issues. "

this may be a dumb question about a sway bar, but does anyone think that i can "make it fit". take the GL 500 swaybar, shave it in the middle or where evr it would need clearance to fit my C280( Inline 6)?

RemoLexi
11-14-2007, 10:20 PM
umm ... I dont think G500 sway bars are anything similar to the ML ones. see the G-class has its own suspension setup which is much more serious then ML or even a GL.

im still having issues clearing the air pump, as you can see in that pic its way too close. ill find a way to relocate it but its not neccesary.

VIP_MBZ
11-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by mike mac
"just a warning, this may not fit 6-cyl motors due to clearence issues. "

this may be a dumb question about a sway bar, but does anyone think that i can "make it fit". take the GL 500 swaybar, shave it in the middle or where evr it would need clearance to fit my C280( Inline 6)?

I'm still thoroughly... thoroughly... absolutely.. confused.

A quick search reveals that Eibach part 2533.310 is the designated sway bar upgrade for 6-cylinder W202's (and W208). An even quicker search revealed that you can get it online for $339, and it comes with every single thing you need to install it, from the bolts to the bushings.

What is the appeal of ghetto-rigging an OEM bar from a different Mercedes when it doesn't even fit perfectly, doesn't have bushings, and has not be R&D'd to be used for this purpose. I mean, I'm a fan of innovation... I like that you can painlessly bolt on AMG front brakes to the w202, and pay $900 for everything brand new instead of $2000+ for an equivalent 4pot Brembo kit. But this is a difference of approximately $100 for something that you have to wrap rubber sheets around to keep it from destroying itself or your car.

Am I missing something? Am I just an ass? Is $100 really worth it?

-Ray

mike mac
11-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by VIP_MBZ

A quick search reveals that Eibach part 2533.310 is the designated sway bar upgrade for 6-cylinder W202's (and W208). An even quicker search revealed that you can get it online for $339, and it comes with every single thing you need to install it, from the bolts to the bushings.

What is the appeal of ghetto-rigging an OEM bar from a different Mercedes when it doesn't even fit perfectly, doesn't have bushings, and has not be R&D'd to be used for this purpose. I mean, I'm a fan of innovation... I like that you can painlessly bolt on AMG front brakes to the w202, and pay $900 for everything brand new instead of $2000+ for an equivalent 4pot Brembo kit. But this is a difference of approximately $100 for something that you have to wrap rubber sheets around to keep it from destroying itself or your car.

-Ray

Point Made...just thought it was interesting, $100 is nickels and dimes when you touch a benz lol
or doing any mod on and vehical

Oh and i mead ML not GL

RemoLexi
11-15-2007, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by VIP_MBZ

-Ray

yea , I understand you would rather pay up and go for something that anyone can buy, but this isnt about the money ... the point of this modification was to target the problem areas, which included wheels rubbing and bodyroll! ive hit my targets, I was happy and hey what do you know its cheaper then Eibach! do you seriously think a 28mm eibach would reduce bodyroll more then a 35mm solid sway bar ? didnt think so ..

I like that you can directly bolt on AMG brakes but why the fuck do you need AMG brakes on a C230 its a damn 4cylinder NOT an AMG, now see I can bitch about that subject forever! (even though ill be ordering a C32 brake kit later on) ;)

VIP_MBZ
11-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Just FYI, before anyone gets the wrong idea, I'm not trying to start a flame war. Just inserting what I feel is a valid opinion.

yea , I understand you would rather pay up and go for something that anyone can buy, but this isnt about the money ... the point of this modification was to target the problem areas, which included wheels rubbing and bodyroll! ive hit my targets, I was happy and hey what do you know its cheaper then Eibach! do you seriously think a 28mm eibach would reduce bodyroll more then a 35mm solid sway bar ? didnt think so ..

I completely understand that this was a completely purpose-oriented modification, and it has definitely served its purpose. The money savings are just a bonus. I get that.

However, if you've noticed, you have a handful of people who read the first post and are immediately starting to think about buying it. So whether you've intended it or not, other members have now been convinced that this is a great solution. All I'm doing is adding more information so that members can make a more informed decision before they start buying parts.

I'm not sure about your particular setup, but before anybody tries to address anything with this bar, they should ask themselves if it's really the best solution. For example, I have 235's in the front on 8.5" wide wheels, and I don't rub or have body roll. I just have the stock sway bars, and a basic spring and shock upgrade. I might have more aggressive turn in by adding a 35mm solid sway bar, but I'd also be adding extra weight in the front, and unbalancing the car's handling. Soo... maybe it's not an obvious choice? That's all I'm saying. It's a cool solution, but it isn't everyone's solution. It's my opinion that having incorrect fitment and unknown longivity over time is not worth whatever money savings there are, when a trusted company like Eibach has already gone through the trouble of designing and testing a product that serves this purpose. They didn't have a shortage of metal when they designed their bar, just like Mercedes-Benz. There's a reason they chose the diameter. Otherwise, why not just go have somebody mandrel bend a 50mm steel tube and then make custom mounts for that? There's always a trade off, and I'd rather put my money on companies who probably tested this on dozens or even hundreds of cars before deciding it was ready for public consumption (such as the stock MB bar, Eibach kit, H&R kit, etc).

I like that you can directly bolt on AMG brakes but why the fuck do you need AMG brakes on a C230 its a damn 4cylinder NOT an AMG, now see I can bitch about that subject forever! (even though ill be ordering a C32 brake kit later on) ;)

Brake-related tangent:
I don't know what performance situations or even aggressive street driving situations you've been in, but better braking allows you to be more agile and comfortable at high speeds, regardless of how long it takes your engine to accelerate you to those speeds. It also allows you to brake later before entering a corner (or lane lane merging, or whatever you might be doing), so you spend more of your time going faster. And maybe not everybody goes canyon running or drives 90-110mph on the freeway on a regular basis, but I do, so this was a great solution for me. I'm not going to tell anyone that this is a "must-have" mod because I don't know what they use their car for.

Pretty much every performance car I've built up has started with suspension and brake modifications because they allow you to get the most out of the power you have and become faster without adding any additional engine stress. Only after that is optimized should anyone be using more engine power to get faster.

But yeah, not trying to rain on anyone's parade regarding the sway bar or anything else. I'm just voicing an opinion; everybody's still going to just do what they want to their cars.

-Ray

RemoLexi
11-15-2007, 09:32 PM
I feel that both me and you are in the same boat, modding cars to suite themselves!

Yea I see where you are comming from and understand where the confusion began, this thread was not posted to say "hey everyone buy this.." but more as "Hey look what I got, it works great for me"! :D