PDA

View Full Version : 1995 C280 wiring harness

202rules
11-11-2007, 09:47 AM
My car misfires and I think it's because of the wiring harness.

On the coil that sits on top of cylinder 2 (mine is inline 6), there is a connection that goes to the number 5 spark plug, and the connection on the other side I believe is the power coming from the main wiring harness. Just by touching that wire coming from the harness, I can change the way the car behaves. I can make it stop misfiring or start misfiring. I took the connector out and looked at it, expanded the ground leads inside to make sure they get better contact, but that didn't fix the problem.

I believe this part is from the main wiring harness. Has anybody gotten theirs changed in the past. How much should I expect a mechanic to charge?

202rules
11-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Ok, I did some searching on the internet and I swear to God I'm about to cry right now :( They say that there is a known problem with the wiring harness on M104 engines between the years 91 and 96 because the insulation used on the wires is made from bio degradable materials that do not stand up to the heat generated under the hood.

The cost of doing this repair is said to be in the $1300 range, with the harness itself costing somewhere near $900.

I can't believe I might have to spend this much money on my car again :(

OzC36
11-12-2007, 05:28 AM
Try this fault finding tip.

Swap the Coil on cylinder 2 with the Coil on 4 or 6. See if your touch wire test still causes the same problem.

If not, buy a new coil for $40 on ebay or a little more from an autoparts store, and replace the original coil on cylinder 2.

If there is a change, you can buy a MB repair solution piece of wiring for a fraction of the cost of a new wiring harness.

Let me know if you need the part number for the harness repair solution.

202rules
11-12-2007, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by OzC36
Try this fault finding tip.

Swap the Coil on cylinder 2 with the Coil on 4 or 6. See if your touch wire test still causes the same problem.

If not, buy a new coil for $40 on ebay or a little more from an autoparts store, and replace the original coil on cylinder 2.

If there is a change, you can buy a MB repair solution piece of wiring for a fraction of the cost of a new wiring harness.

Let me know if you need the part number for the harness repair solution.

Yep, I already tried that yesterday and I could still see the problem on the wire going to cylinder 2.

I will ask the German repair shop I usually take it to about repair solution and see if they can do that. Thanks.

202rules
11-12-2007, 05:44 AM
By the way, how can I find out if this part was recalled in the past?

OzC36
11-12-2007, 06:07 AM
The MB wiring "repair solution" for the coil plug has the same part number as the number stamped on the back of the coil electrical connection plug. My photographs are a little blurred, but I think the number is 028 545 88 28.

Recall on engine wiring harness? You should be so lucky!