PDA

View Full Version : Becker HU

davis449
09-13-2003, 06:24 AM
I don't know if anyone's ever asked this question, but I wonder...can you get an aftermarket head unit from Becker that would plug right into a 202 with no harnesses/signal adjusters and/or very little trouble and work with the Bose system? I highly doubt it, but if anyone has any insight, please share.

Black 1994 C280
09-13-2003, 07:49 PM
As long as it has ISO-Din Connections, it will plug right up!

vas2vas
09-15-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by davis449
I don't know if anyone's ever asked this question, but I wonder...can you get an aftermarket head unit from Becker that would plug right into a 202 with no harnesses/signal adjusters and/or very little trouble and work with the Bose system? I highly doubt it, but if anyone has any insight, please share.

The answer is YES the A (power, ground etc) and B (speaker wires) plugs are exactly the same as the alpine made c-class radio, becker uses ISO connectors....the C plug (cd changer however is not)....it's I think similar to the radios used in porsce and newer mercedes factory systems....which opens up a whole list of possibilities (phone interphase etc)....I'd recomment the Mexico CD 4337..... expect to pay $600-$700.... :-(

check out www.becker.de and http://www.beckerautosound.com

The sweetest thing you could get would be a MONZA MP3 7886 (matches mercedes dash)... don't have a clue about price...

you could also try the BE 4602 which is the dealer available single cd unit (basically a modified Becher mexico 4337)
http://www.beckerautosound.com/4602specs.html

hope this answers your question....

davis449
09-15-2003, 09:08 AM
$600 to $700 seems a little crazy. How much experience have you had with these decks, Vas? Do you have one? I'm curious as to whether you would be able to plug in a sub to the Monza or Mexico unit and have it not interrupt with the Bose system's operation. I think I'm gonna call Becker and find out. I went to their site and did a little reasearch right after I posted this thread. Is it really Alpine that makes the HU or is it just the changer they make? I don't think alpine makes the HU, cause Becker has the operations manula for it published on their site as if it was made by them.

pnsji
09-15-2003, 09:30 AM
This is not 100% true.

I was changing a head unit in 300E. At that time, we tried to swap the older beckers unit to the newer beckers unit. The connector is different.
I can tell you that the older Mercedes head unit contains 4 separate modules:
1. Head Unit
2. Fader control unit
3. Antenna booster unit
4. Bass reflex system

Depending on which unit are we talking in here, I can probably tell you if it will fit directly or not.

Yes, Becker unit are very expensive. With $300, you can get MP3 player from alpine. The harness and converter for Bose system only cost you about $50-$100. This way, you can swap back to your old system easily and no cutting wires.

vas2vas
09-15-2003, 10:47 AM
$600 to $700 seems a little crazy. How much experience have you had with these decks, Vas? Do you have one? I'm curious as to whether you would be able to plug in a sub to the Monza or Mexico unit and have it not interrupt with the Bose system's operation. I think I'm gonna call Becker and find out. I went to their site and did a little reasearch right after I posted this thread. Is it really Alpine that makes the HU or is it just the changer they make? I don't think alpine makes the HU, cause Becker has the operations manula for it published on their site as if it was made by them.

I did a web search some time ago (because I wanted to get one too), and found some stores that stock them in the US.... the price was highly forbiding so I gave up...
http://www.swstereo.com/
http://www.continentalimports.com/be_radios.html

The BE 1692 (made by becker) is indistinguishable from the unit made by alpine....think the becker one was destined for E-class, and S-class....but I emailed becker and they told me that it is made by alpine (according to M/B specs)....

http://carstereohelp.com/mercedes.htm

official becker dealership in the us doesn't sell these as they're european models (please somebody prove me wrong cause I really want one)....

I might get a Monza next time I go to Europe....we'll see...

Actually if you look at the manual from the becker site, and the one for your car radio you will see that it is slighty different....

If you take out the radio and read in the back it the serial # will say AL xxxxx and "Made in Japan"....

As far as the bub question, if you get a nice aftermarket head unit (with both power ant, and line out leads) (Alpine 9811 will do fine - something with not that much power output) you can just install the second amp to the battery, ground it...then run a turn on lead and and RCA cables to the trunk and presto....you got a subwoofer ....(that's how I would do it anyway).... the c class trunk is very friendly to this kind of stuff....very nice and spacious....

Now if you want to take out the BOSE, I've done that twise....I've converted a Maxima for a friend of mine from bose (speakers were blown) to headunit powered (Pioneer) and it's a pain in the you know what... I also converted my previous car a 735iL that had a Blaupunkt 10ch to an alpine powered system with rear coaxials and front 3-way passive crossovers....which was even worse BUT sooooo nice....

hope this helps....

vas2vas
09-15-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by pnsji
This is not 100% true.

I was changing a head unit in 300E. At that time, we tried to swap the older beckers unit to the newer beckers unit. The connector is different.
I can tell you that the older Mercedes head unit contains 4 separate modules:
1. Head Unit
2. Fader control unit
3. Antenna booster unit
4. Bass reflex system

Depending on which unit are we talking in here, I can probably tell you if it will fit directly or not.

Yes, Becker unit are very expensive. With $300, you can get MP3 player from alpine. The harness and converter for Bose system only cost you about $50-$100. This way, you can swap back to your old system easily and no cutting wires.

We were actually talking about the W202 (sorry if I wasn't being clear) that uses the DIN-ISO plug, the w124 (i assume that's what your 300E is) used the older becker plug... I did an Alpine conversion for a w123 complete from headunit to new antena.... the owner didn't care so I just cut and rewired it to take rear speakers too(kept the fader thought)....

I think you can buy an adaptor cable from Becker to retrofit a newer unit into an older M/B.... (I'm not sure though, so I'll have to double check...)

I agree about the Alpine solution....their new 9811 MP3 unit is really nice.... $330 on the web, or the Blaupunkt Phoenix mp 33 for $ 220 I think....

davis449
09-15-2003, 03:08 PM
I hate Bose systems, but really don't have the time and/or money to take mine out and reinstall a new system. I had a MAXIMA, so I know all about how much a pain in that ass those Bose systems are. I just sold my Sony deck to my dad so he could have a CD player in his truck, so I have no idea what to do, where, or what to buy. Any suggestions as to what I can do? I really hate to let my Sub, amp, and Box sit and go to waste.

pnsji
09-15-2003, 03:14 PM
Actually, if you have all the components, then use it. I posted a wiring diagram here:
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=367

davis449
09-15-2003, 03:18 PM
Thanks, pnsji, but I think I'm through with car audio until I buy another car. I'm a total novice when it comes to car audio, I was just thinking about it and I would have to get the sub powered up and a fuse and all that crap and I have no idea what I'm doing. Plus, I'd have to run wires and tear up the car and I have no time and patience for that kinda stuff. The only reason I had a system in my YUKON was cause Circuit City did it for me. The Bose may actually deterr me from buying another W202, or Mercedes for that matter. Thanks anyway.

pnsji
09-15-2003, 03:51 PM
Actually, installing an aftermarket head unit with Mercedes Bose system is very easy. I can make you a special adapter so the installation will be plug and play.

davis449
09-15-2003, 08:15 PM
Give me a little while and I will see how things go financially and I will contact you about it. Thanks a lot, I appreciate your help. This is why I'm a member at this board. So many helpful people.:D

vas2vas
09-15-2003, 08:16 PM
Actually, installing an aftermarket head unit with Mercedes Bose system is very easy. I can make you a special adapter so the installation will be plug and play.

I was thinking of installing one of the Blaupunkt MP3 models, Los Angeles MP72 mayby....could use an adaptor like that.... my bose system is however flawless, so I'm hesitating to mess with it....what do you guys think?

davis449
09-15-2003, 08:22 PM
I've heard things about the adapters (signal adjusters) eventually blowing your Bose system anyway. But then again, I've heard opposite. Mine is flawless as well and I would like to keep it that way. My problem is justifying the expense. I don't really know how much gain I would get out of an aftermarket HU because I've never heard one coupled with a Bose. They make a HUGE difference when it comes to other factory systems.

pnsji
09-16-2003, 07:28 AM
I've heard things about the adapters (signal adjusters) eventually blowing your Bose system anyway. But then again, I've heard opposite. Mine is flawless as well and I would like to keep it that way. My problem is justifying the expense. I don't really know how much gain I would get out of an aftermarket HU because I've never heard one coupled with a Bose. They make a HUGE difference when it comes to other factory systems.

I did use Nakamichi deck with Bose system. The different in sound was day and night.

I don't get why using the voltage converter would be such a problem. When tuned properly, it will last forever.

vas2vas
09-16-2003, 10:06 AM
I did use Nakamichi deck with Bose system. The different in sound was day and night.

I don't get why using the voltage converter would be such a problem. When tuned properly, it will last forever.

which one???
can you please post pics (unit and adaptor would be great)!

pnsji
09-16-2003, 10:15 AM
Nakamichi CD-45Z
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QADOAmUSgjoCb6twsodOuCOkCW1PEBLF0oJPYme2WmvDkBmfz zYKanxN0VAGOso1YEJbur51lCSW57*I**2YzOWmhy0Ai75Dzoz OAgBw9Bc/C36AMG9.jpg?dc=4675435496945960435
at night:
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0PgDQCr0SVEsEatHL0r9lgcNwjtngx5qPvqluDvXPxi5*0Nz!m JjF!c4lwEKvtLmac6KejnBc4*mhmD*0UpvkA2MZg33mBCs8/radio.jpg?dc=4675373572958419945

You need Ven 4.5
http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/loc.asp

vas2vas
09-16-2003, 10:32 AM
cool, thanks pnsji !

1SIKBNZ
09-16-2003, 12:17 PM
`Hmmm ok guys i dunno if its just me but why in the world with all the great head units out there would you want a stock head unit? *shrugz* i have and in dash panasonic screen with dvd with a seperate "brain/tuner" i got that got b.s. by shops left and right about my bose gettin fuct up and not working with it etc etc. well i dont settle the ONLY thing you need would be the bose connector. i got mine on ebay for 35 dollars shipped! also came with the antenna adaptor for aftermarket. just plug that baby into the bose and wire it to your nice new aftermarket head unit. my shit souns better now with the aftermarket unit. plus more tuning control. all bose is fully opperational and not one problem. dont give up on 202's, bose, or car audio its not as complicated as some may make it seem..... and as for subs and amps just like normal when you have a aftermarket unit. rear or sub out from unit to amp. few amp wires to batterey and sub and viola! your bumpin!

vas2vas
09-23-2003, 01:31 PM
I'm actually thinking of putting a cdr 212 or 220 (Becker) cd unit from a Porsche....and add an ipod to the aux input....it's plug and play for the BOSE system....won't run the M/B cd changer though...

pnsji
09-24-2003, 10:30 AM
How much is that head unit?
I know nakamichi is about $200-$300 now.

vas2vas
09-24-2003, 11:12 AM
How much is that head unit?
I know nakamichi is about $200-$300 now.

found a cdr 220 on ebay for around $250.... gonna scout the local junk yiards...and audio shops (in case they sell after system upgrade)....and look for a deal.... one of these units is one of the options that I'm looking into for stereo upgrade.... also mayby nakamichi cd 400....getting fed up with going to trunk to change cd's.... and cassette adaptors....want aux imput to use ipod :D

pnsji
09-24-2003, 11:50 AM
I suggest CD-400. It is a great head unit!