PDA

View Full Version : Changing offset of my wheel

Denlasoul
11-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Hello all-

One of our fellow Member's has a front Monoblock II that is 18x8 ET35. On my car, I am using Monoblock II 18x8 ET31.

I know the wheels are slightly different, but do you see any complications that may arise if I take my wheel and have it machined to an offset of 35? My concern is caliper clearance and "strut" clearance. Both cars mentioned are C43's.

Do you think the wheels will fit the exact same?

OCKlasse
11-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
Hello all-

One of our fellow Member's has a front Monoblock II that is 18x8 ET35. On my car, I am using Monoblock II 18x8 ET31.

I know the wheels are slightly different, but do you see any complications that may arise if I take my wheel and have it machined to an offset of 35? My concern is caliper clearance and "strut" clearance. Both cars mentioned are C43's.

Do you think the wheels will fit the exact same?

I don't understand what you are asking. Are you talking about milling your ET31 to a 35? In that case, I don't see an issue. If you are referring to the contrary, just run spacers.

benzboy
11-16-2007, 03:37 PM
How much clearance is there currently?

Oddly my 18x8 ET31 front monos didnt fit so had to shave 1mm or so off the caliper face..... then it was fine.

Denlasoul
11-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by OCKlasse
Are you talking about milling your ET31 to a 35?
Yes

Originally posted by benzboy
How much clearance is there currently?
Not sure, but I'll be measuring this weekend.

Proven Guilty
11-17-2007, 09:55 PM
ET31 will actually give you MORE caliper clearance, but *could* present rubbing issues depending how low you are.

Denlasoul
11-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
ET31 will actually give you MORE caliper clearance, but *could* present rubbing issues depending how low you are.
Yeah I know. Having ET35 will decrease my inner "strut" clearance by 4mm, and I am worried that it will not clear my caliper (it's pretty tight). My sole purpose is to clear my fenders a little better while still using my Mono II's.

OCKlasse
11-18-2007, 04:44 AM
My brother's Carlsson 1/6s cleared his front C43 calipers with a 19 * 8.5 ET40.

allirroz
11-21-2007, 06:15 PM
this should give you a better idea... see footnotes on the 18x8.5 et 35. Will the narrower 8 inch rim negate the notes ?????

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/information/fitting_chart/mercedes-benz

omeyhomey
11-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Caliper clearance has very little to do with offset and more to do with the actual spoke design and the hub design. The offset is more about where the mounting location is in relation to the rim portion of the wheel itself. a 35mm et will push the wheel in a bit more. typically 4mm is hardly a shift at all, I would test fit one wheel just to be sure but I hardly doubt you would need to machine anything. I have always changed offset by up to 5mm when changing wheels without making any changes whatsoever, once you start getting over 5mm thats when you can run into potential rubbing issues or necessity for spacers. hope that helps

jnolte
11-22-2007, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by omeyhomey
Caliper clearance has very little to do with offset and more to do with the actual spoke design and the hub design. The offset is more about where the mounting location is in relation to the rim portion of the wheel itself. a 35mm et will push the wheel in a bit more. typically 4mm is hardly a shift at all, I would test fit one wheel just to be sure but I hardly doubt you would need to machine anything. I have always changed offset by up to 5mm when changing wheels without making any changes whatsoever, once you start getting over 5mm thats when you can run into potential rubbing issues or necessity for spacers. hope that helps

YES, build of wheels means alot, 17 monoblocks will fit with c32 brakes but 18s, will not, its all about shape and angle of the wheel