PDA

View Full Version : Coolant leak

junklar
11-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Hi all,

Today when I was taking my car out I noticed a flood on the floor. I checked the radiator fluid level and the fluid on the floor was from the coolant.

Any ideas on what might have caused it? The leak was between the two front tires.

1995c280
11-19-2007, 08:34 PM
my guess would be from the water-pump! usually the head gasket's leak from the rear of the engine on the M104. best thing to do is pressure test the system and then inspect for any leaks!

Jay

junklar
11-19-2007, 10:01 PM
I just had the head gasket replaced a month ago.. I checked the car again at night there was no leak.. I'm going to top it off with coolant tomorrow.. and see if it leaks again.. the coolant light is not on in the instrument cluster

Proven Guilty
11-19-2007, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by junklar
I just had the head gasket replaced a month ago.. I checked the car again at night there was no leak.. I'm going to top it off with coolant tomorrow.. and see if it leaks again.. the coolant light is not on in the instrument cluster

if the car had gotten warm, even in cold weather, its possible for some of it to boil out through the relief hose. might be worth checking functionality of the thermostat. also, heater cores are usually responsible for coolant spills if you dont hear the water pump letting loose with that typical whining sound, or you dont have leaking hoses.

dc36
11-20-2007, 05:47 AM
you may want to check for a small hose in the back of the motor near the oil filter it goes from the engine to the firewall. when they did the head gasket it may have gotten pinch or cut. happend to me after getting head gasket done. you can borrow a pressure tester from autozone

Cru328prod
11-20-2007, 07:14 AM
pressure test that bit*h as soon as you can.......cause if theres a leak you won't know till it slaps you in the face

OzC36
11-21-2007, 03:26 AM
I just had the head gasket replaced a month ago.

junklar,

Take the car back to the shop that did the head gasket change.

There is a very good chance that your leak is the result of a manitenance-induced error.

There are lots and lots of pipes and hoses that are removed and re-installed during a head-gasket change. If you get lucky, you might find that there is just a hose clamp not re-installed correctly. They fix for free...

And sometimes just the physical disturbance of components during maintenance will cause failure on parts that are nearing the end of their useful life. You get to pay...!

junklar
11-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Proven Guilty,

I think you are right.. The day before the leak happened I hit over 100 mph on the highway at night.. so the next morning I saw the leak.. it did not leak again after that