PDA

View Full Version : OBD codes

junklar
11-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Hi all,

I wanted to know when the port under the hood on the passenger side is used and when the port under the steering wheel is used.. I was planning on buying an obd scanner/reader soon

Denlasoul
11-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Under the hood typically requires a higher-end diagnostics tool. Mainly dealerships and shops.

Under the steering wheel, you can use a universal OBD II scanner, like the ones at a local auto parts store.

The port under the hood is more detailed in the type of information read. For instance, when I had a valve body problem my OBD II scanner said that there was a Turbine sensor malfunction. When I had it read under the hood, it was determined that Speed Sensor 3 was faulty (IIRC). It showed that my tranny was running at 8000rpm's when in actuality it should have been 0 (because the car was parked).

slowpoke
07-20-2008, 10:01 PM
hi denlasoul,

what scanner do you use? I have a 1994 C220 with the OBD port but would like to make sure I get the right one.

thanks!

Denlasoul
07-21-2008, 05:38 AM
Actron is the name of the company of the OBD II scanner I use.

Are there any local supply stores where they have free scan tools to use? Do not recall ever seeing any in th PI.

xvvvz
07-21-2008, 06:10 AM
I would go to a parts store and try their free reader just to make sure it will work. Isn't '94 a year when MB did partial compliance with OBD II a year or so before it was required to be implemented? I just want you to make sure things will work before you order an OBD II code reader. Don't forget to use the Mercedes list of codes. Mercedes definitions are slightly different compared to other manufacturers (most of the common codes are the same though).

slowpoke
07-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
Actron is the name of the company of the OBD II scanner I use.

Are there any local supply stores where they have free scan tools to use? Do not recall ever seeing any in th PI.

Actron...got it.

None of the shops offer free scans, pare. Most charge about US$100, just to scan!!! Damn!

I figured, if I get a scanner from Amazon, it could pay for itself after just using it twice :) Then, I could charge my buddies even just US$20 so I could make back what I spent on my car....mwahahahahaha :cool:

BTW, what do you think about this one?

http://www.mercedesmanuals.com/Mercedes_Benz_C_CL_CLK_Class_Code_Reader_p/cclassobd.htm

Denlasoul
07-21-2008, 06:39 PM
I would buy one that allows you to erase codes as well.

The Actron I bought was only like $100 shipped. I've used it numerous times and it has helped alot. In the US, it is helpful if you want to clear codes before emissions testing. ;)