PDA

View Full Version : Body and trim tear down repaint help

adamsry
11-23-2007, 05:28 AM
I just purchased a 202 yesterday, 94 c280 the original. $3,400.

The vehicle has 106,00o on the odo and the car works like a champ thus far but the main caveat is the vehicle was im guessing volcanred?? MarsRed?? now the clear coat is a mess peeling chipping and such so the good deal i got just needs body cosmetic repair. The car has this kinda putrid purple pinkish thing going on base colors in original paint "Thanks UV Rays".

Thus far i have gotten estimates for repainting the entire vehicle stripping sanding de-badging and trim removal with an est of 3800 on the high side ( the average is about 3200)

I know someone with a paint and body shop and he said he can get it painted right for 2400, but i would need to do all the grunt work and remove all trim's bumpers lights etc etc.

The biggest problem is that the bumper moulding and other components are made of ABS and i wanted to know the safest way for removal as these parts.

I have not been successful in locating anything that shows how to remove door handles, the rear trunk lock, or the chrome strips that run the length of the roof passenger and driver side or the strip of chrome that runs the width of the windshield.

The prior owner had the ingenious idea of using thick foam backed fabric to replace the head liner so that is getting redone as well while the car is getting repainted ( looks like S$^%%) so half the interior will be stripped to correct poor crapmenship.

Any suggestions would be appreciated in this matter. I have even considered removing the front fenders so that the paint work can be as close to original as possible with out the paint lines.

Lucky for me i have another 202 ( 2000 Kompressor so i have a daily driver till i get the 280 restored)

JRE320
11-23-2007, 07:10 AM
$3800 is a pretty good deal considering all the work and repaint the entire car.

adamsry
11-23-2007, 03:23 PM
My primary concern is that i don't want to become upside down in the vehicle so i'm trying to maximize my dollar

DRM
11-23-2007, 04:56 PM
http://club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13292&highlight=front+bumper+c43

^ front bumper removal

rear bumper is easy just remove the plastic lining around the trunk latch underneath is one screw in the middle and two screws left and right that need to be removed you might need to remove the left and right trunk covering to get at the screws but i didn't need to.

side moulding is easy, there are screws on the end of each door where the moulding is unscrew those and slide the moulding towards the rear of the car. for the small moulding on the rear fenders use a screwdriver and pry it out from the door jam area. front fender moulding use a screw driver and pry it out going from the back to the front it will pop out.

adamsry
11-23-2007, 06:33 PM
What im really looking for is the most effective way to remove the door handle's and the chrome moulding on the roof those have me in a bit of a twix the body moulding im comfortable with