PDA

View Full Version : 98 c280 stalling/ no start problems, need some advice

mike_99l
11-27-2007, 06:21 AM
Hi, i have a 98 c280 sport with 59k miles, never gave me any problems aside from a light jerk once in a while for over a year, but this week the following happened:
after a long drive, the car stalled at a traffic light and wouldnt start, sounded like it had no fuel or spark. so i disconnected the maf (ORIGINAL) and started the car and it cranked right up, then connected it back and drove home. i took the maf unit out to see if i can clean it, but it looked like new, the following morning the check engine light went off and the car drove very nice. a week later, the same think happened, but this time the maf trick didnt do much, but after 20 min the car just started again. so i went and bought a new bosh maf and installed it yesterday, and drove to work with no problems. later that night, the car stalled again and wouldnt start for at least 15 min. WTF
after making it home, i decided to disconnect the battery to reset the computer hoping the will cure my issue.
iam now at work, and have to drive to few appointments in a bit and really afraid this will happen again.
any ideas???? i read in other threads the crank sensor gives similar issues? what do u think?
last but no least, my radio is now asking for the code which i have, but for some reason i cant get it to work? please advice

xvvvz
11-27-2007, 06:52 AM
This is an interesting thread going on in another forum that talks about changing the CPS (although it seems it might not have been the problem). Since your car is a 98, you should not have to worry about the wiring harness issue.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c-class/1349142-1996-c220-crank-position-sensor-diy-replacement.html

mike_99l
11-27-2007, 11:05 AM
well, she did it again. stuck in 90 degrees weather in the middle of traffic.
i am now leaning towards replacing the crank position sensor.. any other advice?
thanks

JRE320
11-27-2007, 12:42 PM
My advise to you is to take it to a shop that will check all your problem with your car.

mike_99l
11-28-2007, 10:09 AM
took it to the shop, replaced the CPS and iam back in business $200 later

dantedawg
11-28-2007, 10:19 AM
im not sure if i have the same problem . had my car tuned up about 2000 miles ago. replaced sparks, oil change, gas filter, air filter, and all that. today was a bit of a problem...car was shaking like hell in neutral and when im driving it..check engine is on.....i stopped and restart the car...and drove okay but with the check engine on.....got home and used my scanner....it says P0304 cylinder 4 misfire...

so i called my mechanic and told him this..he said i might have to change the ignition coil ( set of 2 ) and the ignition wire set ( i checked online , it comes in set of 4 and set of 2?)..price are cheaper online as we all know...what else could be the problem...if i buy the parts can i install it myself or is it really complicated? just to save some bucks! :)
im seeing my mechanic at 5pm eastern time today.

pls help ...thanks