PDA

View Full Version : Drivers Door Lock Problem

adamsry
11-27-2007, 09:22 AM
I have googled check other MB forums and i sit her scratching my head with this one. Until yesterday i could lock and unlock my doors with no problem using the drivers side door. Now it will unlock the car but not lock?? Im able to lock and unlock from the trunk and passenger side door with no problems so i suspect that the lock tumbler or a micro switch is damaged. What further confuses me is i now have the door apart but the entire locking assembly is not accessible so do i have to start drilling rivets out ? to get at this. I was hoping that there is some trick to remove the door (exterior handle to see if i can tackle the door locks that way. BTW no vacuum leaks i checked this and unusually ... i can turn the key to the lock position and hold it there and miraculously the windows will roll up??

adamsry
11-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Ok so i have figured out to remove the tumbler after an afternoon of cussing and swearing but in doing this i have damaged the Micro Switch Pickup .. so... time to order that baby for 76.00 from the stealer ugg... im going to attach pictures so others may find this helpful. If there is damage to this switch it can cause the alarm system to immobilize the starter w/o a siren.

JRE320
11-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Great!! that's how you learn by trial and error. ;)

junklar
11-27-2007, 04:36 PM
I would definitely want to see some pictures of the process. I have a similar problem, my driver's side door would not unlock or lock at all. I use the trunk to lock/unlock. Thanks adamsry I hope to see the pictures soon : )

adamsry
12-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Ok pictures coming soon, problem fixed!

The lock in the door has a shaft that resembles a boat paddle but it is attached to the lock tumbler in a square fitting with a lock pin it appear that tension is placed on this pin with age and will cause it to become loose and then fall out. This will cause the lock paddle as i call it to become disconnected from the tumbler and do nothing.

At the opposite end of the lock tumbler inside of the door accessed by removing the interior door panel, there is a lock micro switch this is locked in in the rear of the switch by a plastic retainer if you push the lock retainer the micro switch can be easily removed. Im my car not only was the connection of the tumbler messed up but the micro switch was as well.

By removing and repairing both it seems the issue has been corrected.

I have also noticed that there is excessive tension when locking, so i disassembled the locks yet again to lubricate the connections, in the door from the exterior with the lock tumbler removed i sprayed lithium grease into the area where the lock tumbler sockets. I used door lock lube and sprayed it in the tumbler. I locked unlocked and did this process several times and viola the key turns nice and smooth like new.

DRM
12-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Any pictures would be good! Might help in removing door handles.