PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic converter replacement

BBad199
12-11-2007, 07:21 PM
I have a 98 C280 that never ceases to have parts go bad as it gets older! Anyhow, the cat closest to the engine on the driver's side just before a "y" split went bad about a month ago, and its rattling like nobody's business.

Needless to say, I don't plan on having the part replaced at a mercedes dealership. Since I don't have access to welding gear and I'm not spending $1200 on the part, I have to search for alternatives. Luckily, I have a buddy that manages a muffler and brake shop. Thing is, he says he can't find a universal cat to weld in.

I have two questions:
1. Sensor wise, would it be ok to just get rid of the left cat and put a piece of straight pipe in?
2. I found a mention of two alternatives for a 220 by Espresso on this forum a few months back:

You can get cheap universals at summitracing.com or jegs.com
Go to summitracing & look up "Keyword" CTO-6905-R or MPE-53005CA. Both good universals.

I'm assuming these will work, but can anyone guarantee that? If not, can anyone out there point me to good universals for a 98 c280?

Your help is much appreciated!

Jonathan

Len013091
12-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Search magnaflow's site. They sell highflow universal cats. They have a tool that will list the ones that will work with your engine displacement. You can also get normal flow cats.