PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket Leak

HRC280
12-13-2007, 04:22 PM
I noticed thatI have a head gasket leak and its been ongoing for a couple months. I have replaced the timing cover gasket seal but the leak is still there. I know I have to buy the head gasket set. Is there anything else that I should need? I know its a 10+ hour job, anything I should read up on or be aware of?

Thanks

JRE320
12-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Since you are doing the head gasket also do the valve job. ;)

predrag1
12-13-2007, 05:05 PM
and prepare a few grand

unless ur doing it ur self of course

junklar
12-13-2007, 09:10 PM
check this link out.. it should be helpful

http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/M104HeadGasket?show_comments=1

enawazh
12-14-2007, 01:30 PM
I dont know if its just me but ive read that article several times and i never understood the part about the pin and resealing the gasket. ( that little green gasket at the corner.) . it would be nice if someone can elaborate on that

thnx

alphanumeric
12-14-2007, 04:51 PM
while doing head gasket, I would do all the other typical stuff like valve cover gasket obviously.. spark plugs, clean out your fuel injectors.. etc etc etc.. try to replace and fix anything you can while your car is out of service. oil change is a must! might as well do the fuel filter while your at it! having the cylinder head off gives a perfect opportunity to clean the engine block.. it makes life much easier in the future next time u work on different parts of the engine.

OzC36
12-15-2007, 05:30 AM
Yes, you must also get new head bolts (14). They are special stretch bolts and can only be used once. They are cheap at Autohaus. Also you should buy a bunch of copper exhaust nuts for the exhaust manifold as these can be damaged during removal. Also a few (say 3) exhaust manifold stud bolts for the same reason. These latter two items are extremely cheap. You might think about a new serpentine belt and some new radiaitor/coolant hoses, hose clamps and a new thermostat at the same time as the coolant has to be drained. Don't forget a new sump plug or at least the seal washer as you will drain and refill the engine oil. This also means a new oil filter kit as well.

Be very very gentle with the engine wiring harness. Any unnecessary twisting or bending will write off an old harness. They are mega expensive to replace! However, they can be repaired (if in trouble, give me a bell, and I can help with some part numbers for wiring repair kits).

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=hyutso55naqaaanjwsl4w545&makeid=800016@Mercedes&modelid=1195488@C280&year=1996&cid=20@Engine%20Parts,%20Seals%20%26%20Gaskets&gid=5308@Cylinder%20Head%20Bolt

I also like this quote from the site that junklar provided in his post above:

Most of this discourse is designed to put this repair into a proper perspective. That is, it's just a head gasket so don't go rebuilding the motor over it. The valve guides don't wear out in this engine, and the chain rarely, if ever, has problems. Just replace the gasket and fix the leak.