PDA

View Full Version : 94k repairs???

benzo23
12-15-2007, 05:25 AM
hey goodmorning, well i have now 94000 miles and i know i need to service my car...i have done regular things like change the oil every 4k, changed plugs at around 85k, cabin and engine filters...and thats about it. so my question is im going to be taking it to a guy that only does german cars because i dont really trust myself to do anything besides change out the air filter...these are the things i was going to have him do, brake flush, coolant flush, and transmission flush, i know the tranny is fluid is"lifetime", but screw that i dont want to be driving a car with almost 100k and never change the fluid...is there anything engine wise that should be done? and i dont really want to be spending a shit ton of $ either...any suggestions would be hepful, oh and one more thing whenever i open the hood while the motor is running and i put my ear close to the top of the valve cover it sounds like a damn diesel, but i guess thats just how our 4 bangers are...

lamf
12-15-2007, 10:31 AM
lifetime tranny fluid??? i change mine every year. besides the engine stuff u mentioned id say check your flex disk and steering damper which seem to need to be changed around 95k or so

timmyj51
12-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Are you saying you're at 94K and you've NEVER changed the tranny, brake fluids, or coolant? You're supposed to change the
plugs every 30K and you just changed them at 85K! Have
you every changed the fuel filter, checked the belt or brakes?
Should have spent a little more on these maintenance items
and a little less on all the add-ons you've loaded up with.
Not a good situation if you've got a car full of toys that
conks out at 100K.

benzo23
12-15-2007, 05:20 PM
im the 2nd owner and don't know what the previous history was to be honest...but no I have not done any of that stuff since I've owned the car..just oil changes..plugs and filters..and not fuel filter...but that's why I asked what else I should get done on top of the tranny..coolant and brakes...I know ill probably hear some massive list that isant possible for me to accomplish even if I worked it off for a year...so any other suggestions would be great I will now add in the flex disk and steering...anyone have idea how much it is to swap out the flex disks?

jnolte
12-15-2007, 05:20 PM
flex disc, diffy oil, motor mounts, bearings, lca bushings, ball joints, tie rod, steering damper, fuel filter, brakes the list goes on an on. check it all

c280nz
12-15-2007, 06:02 PM
do you have a warrent of fitness for the vehicle licence where you are? if you do like we do over hear they should pick up on alot of those things for you to do with suspension/brakes/joints/bearings/motor mounts etc

jnolte
12-16-2007, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by c280nz
do you have a warrent of fitness for the vehicle licence where you are? if you do like we do over hear they should pick up on alot of those things for you to do with suspension/brakes/joints/bearings/motor mounts etc

america< no only emission :)

c280nz
12-16-2007, 10:01 AM
O, so your engine and wheels can just fall off while driving along on the freeway, but as long as your car doesnt smoke its legit :D i like it

timmyj51
12-16-2007, 10:51 AM
You may want to check the flex disk and suspension but at 94K
I doubt you'll need to replace anything. Suspension on
these MBs are the one thing that lasts a long time. I never
had to replace anything on the suspension of my old 190E, nor
the flex disks, and I kept it for 260K. All fluids, filters, ignition, and brakes.
These are the important things.

jnolte
12-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by timmyj51
You may want to check the flex disk and suspension but at 94K
I doubt you'll need to replace anything. Suspension on
these MBs are the one thing that lasts a long time. I never
had to replace anything on the suspension of my old 190E, nor
the flex disks, and I kept it for 260K. All fluids, filters, ignition, and brakes.
These are the important things.

i dont agree<

benzo23
12-16-2007, 01:19 PM
well as of right now, my list includes..
-tranny flush
-coolant flush
-brake flush, (which i have replaced my rotors and pads about 8k ago, but not the fluid)
-fuel filter

i think this is all i will be able to afford for now, but in the near future i will look at changing the flex disk, in which one of my friends told me is a simple swap but i dont know about that. i will also be looking at replacing the timing belt and tie rods..

lewda
12-17-2007, 07:17 AM
if yoru flex disc is bad, you'll know it, if you wanna check it, just get under the car, and try and rotate the drive shaft, if it feels snug, your good, if it has some play in it, then you may be in for a flex disc soon. I had one explode on me on the highway in my old 190D

timmyj51
12-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Flex disks were notoriously bad in the older model (pre-90) 190s, but
my mechanic says he's rarely seen one fail in a C class.
Just have your mechanic look at it next time you have an
oil change. .

benzo23
12-18-2007, 02:29 PM
oooooooooooookkkkkkkkk, well just got it back today, tranny shifts so smooth and brakes are extremely touchy..which is great..but the mechanic said that he said that the water pump is going to be going out in the near future, he said he can hear it ticking...so if anyone has a spare water pump for a 98 c230 that would be sweet, and i didnt end up getting the fuel filter done, because they wanted 55 for the filter and another 87/hr to put it in, i looked up on here on how to change it out and figured i could do it on my friends lift, didnt look that complicated, plus my friend is a service tech at ford so im sure he could help too, but i got the filter from discount auto parts and its a purolator fuel filter and got it for 15$!, so i saved 127...so any advice for putting it in? and while im under there ill look for play in the drivfe shaft to see if the flex disk is going..

c280nz
12-18-2007, 07:20 PM
water pump ticking??? that sounds made up to me??? never heard of a stuffed waterpump ticking

benzo23
12-19-2007, 03:49 AM
yea I had my head under the car as near to the pump as I could get while the car was running and was next to the guy and I sad that it sounded like valves knocking..and he said...no that it was the water pump and something about how the bearings are old and worn out...he quoted me 4hrs of labor plus the 350 for the actual pump..but on my car there is a lot of room between the pump and the fan...why the hell would it take 4 hrs?..and I only have 1 belt..

Cru328prod
12-20-2007, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by timmyj51
Flex disks were notoriously bad in the older model (pre-90) 190s, but
my mechanic says he's rarely seen one fail in a C class.
Just have your mechanic look at it next time you have an
oil change. .

That all depends on how bad u rag on your car....

benzo23
12-22-2007, 08:36 AM
not that bad at all actually, getting my fuel filter changed in about 3 hrs ill let you guys if i can tell a difference after its swaped out..

benzo23
12-23-2007, 01:14 PM
well, got the fuel filter changed thanks to my friend, i pulled up onto some ramps and gave it a little to much gas and flung one of the ramps out from under my car, but anyways...the inside of the filter was black and i noticed that my idleing improved alot, not to much in terms of performance wise, but i havent jumped on it since its been changed...definitly suggest the swap to a new one

lamf
12-24-2007, 09:32 AM
man you need to find a new mechanic.

benzo23
12-25-2007, 05:10 AM
why would i do that?..i was the dumbass tried to fly my car off the ramp