PDA

View Full Version : 94 c220 problems

rabbler
12-20-2007, 09:37 AM
As my last resort I have decided to bug you fine people with my issues. I come here regularly to browse, and I was up till 2ish this morning scouring the different boards for the solution to my problems and couldn't get definite answers.

So.

1. I have been having problems with my windshield wiper blade where it misses spots. When I spots I mean giant ovals in front of my face. Few months ago at the end of the rainy season here in Ohio, I got a new bosch micro edge. While it was an improvement over the cheapo one I had on there before the same spots persist. Finally after looking for the answer to my problem I thought I would rule out the blade by getting a brand new Icon blade this afternoon. It is by far the worse of the three blades I have had on this car since I purchased it. I am not knocking the Icon blade, I think there is an underling issue. If I stop the car right when the blade is over the middle of the spots it doesn't even touch the glass. I could slide a quarter under there, or two. I thought I would test how it would work while there was down force going about 80 on the highway. I had applied rainx in the parking lot of auto zone before I set off. On the highway I can watch the wiper fluid stream up right through the blade, kinda surreal. I am wondering if I need new springs because there isn't enough tension. I am also wondering if the glass had been replaced at some time and they did a really bad job.

2. I have been having suspension issues. My limited knowledge of cars and mercedes products, have led me to believe it is a problem with the ball joint aka a cv joint? There is a distinct pumping/clunking noise when I first move the car and then I never hear it again, it seems to be only coming from the front driver side. The steering wheel starts squeaking when I turn it at very low speeds. I have also heard that the bushings need to be replaced? I heard it for the first time one night coming home, large clunk, After that I heard it every time I moved from park and the steering wheel defaults a few degrees to the right.

Any wisdom anyone can impart on me would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

JRE320
12-20-2007, 11:03 AM
You really got a problem if you don't bring it to a Mercedes shop for them to look at it.

timmyj51
12-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Sounds like your wiper mounting is out of alignment. With
your wipers on turn off the engine so the blades stop on
windshield. See if there's any space between the blades
and windshield surface. As for the suspension, just have a
good indy mechanic look at it (NEVER take off-warranty MBs to the stealership). If it only happens when you
start it may be something with the drivetrain, not the suspension.

predrag1
12-20-2007, 11:48 AM
I have problem #2 as well

1994 c280

rabbler
12-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by timmyj51
Sounds like your wiper mounting is out of alignment. With
your wipers on turn off the engine so the blades stop on
windshield. See if there's any space between the blades
and windshield surface. As for the suspension, just have a
good indy mechanic look at it (NEVER take off-warranty MBs to the stealership). If it only happens when you
start it may be something with the drivetrain, not the suspension.

There is a definite space between the blade and the windshield. I know all about the "stealership" they wanted to charge this poor college kid $200 bucks just to look at an electrical problem I had, not including any hourly service once they pulled the damn thing into their bay. I opted against it.

My question about the suspension I suppose is if a cv joint is the same thing as a ball joint. I asked a couple of my pseudo-mechanic buddies, who have never worked on mercedes, they said it was most likely a cv joint. And the symptoms I am having seem to relate to a cv joint, but from what I understand I don't have cv joints on my car. *shrug*.

Thanks.

predrag1
12-20-2007, 04:39 PM
my friend looked at my car when he replaced my head gasket and he said that my bushings were really bad so Im guessing thats whats causing my(your) problem

Kropf
12-20-2007, 06:29 PM
(Your #2 has separate issues.)

Originally posted by rabbler
2. I have been having suspension issues. My limited knowledge of cars and mercedes products, have led me to believe it is a problem with the ball joint aka a cv joint?

A Constant Velocity Joint is part of a drive train and is a step up from a Universal Joint. Basically, it creates a flexible drive shaft.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant-velocity_joint
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_joint
Our W202s have CV Joints as part of the rear axle shafts.

However, no connection to a Ball Joint.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_joint
Ball joints are in the front suspension. (The lower aka Supporting Joint in some M-B documentation, and the upper aka Steering Knuckle).

There is a distinct pumping/clunking noise when I first move the car and then I never hear it again, it seems to be only coming from the front driver side.

IIRC, mine would clunk once when the car first moved maybe 3-10 feet out of the garage after sitting for awhile. I haven't heard it lately, but it may have happened only when I still had the brakes on somewhat which could mean that it is brakes/caliper related. Or maybe a worn bushing?????

The steering wheel starts squeaking when I turn it at very low speeds.

My C43 came with a VERY squeaky Steering Damper when turning slow. $24 for a new Stabilus-Boge Damper from http://AutohausAZ.com/, a two bolt remove and replace, and I have no more squeak.

adamsry
12-21-2007, 04:26 AM
This sounds to me like it is a bad flex disk ( it is in between the transmission and engine it is functionally a rubber piece that reduces drive train noise and vibration from the engine there are 2 of these one before the trannine and after the trannie. Depending mileage i would consider checking these 2 out sometimes the engine & or transmission mounts if bad will cause the symptoms that you are having. Im assuming this is occurring when you place the car in drive, or reverse... ?

rabbler
12-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by adamsry
This sounds to me like it is a bad flex disk ( it is in between the transmission and engine it is functionally a rubber piece that reduces drive train noise and vibration from the engine there are 2 of these one before the trannine and after the trannie. Depending mileage i would consider checking these 2 out sometimes the engine & or transmission mounts if bad will cause the symptoms that you are having. Im assuming this is occurring when you place the car in drive, or reverse... ?

Yessir, drive and reverse that I can actually notice. If ive been driving for a while and say park, turn off the car, and drive off in 5 minutes, I don't ever hear it. Seems to only happen with cold starts. Ironically enough, since its been near freezing here in Ohio the noise is definitely less prominent than when its warmer. Not sure if that makes much a of a difference.

FYI, I am about 100 miles from 230k. The previous (original) owner is my fathers business associate. It was his daily driver for 12 years give or take. He has taken care of it pretty well and I am told it will go quite a bit longer. It was serviced before I brought it here to Ohio, but the extent of the checkup isn't known. Sounds like I am going to need to have it looked at, but for now I am just looking for a fix that myself, or one of my mechanic friends can take care of for a case of beer.

Thanks.

adamsry
12-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Ok then it sounds like your in for a so so repair it is not that bad to do search the forums i think there is a thread with images on replacing a flex disk

JRE320
12-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by adamsry
Ok then it sounds like your in for a so so repair it is not that bad to do search the forums i think there is a thread with images on replacing a flex disk

You don't want to jump into conclusion.. ;)

strictlyspeakin
12-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Agreed.

I don;t know about the wiper issue. I've taken the cowling off. It doesn't take that long to do. You can check to see if it is bent or not bolted down all the way then.

Have you ever been outside the car to track the noise when it happens?

rabbler
12-22-2007, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by strictlyspeakin
Agreed.

I don;t know about the wiper issue. I've taken the cowling off. It doesn't take that long to do. You can check to see if it is bent or not bolted down all the way then.

Have you ever been outside the car to track the noise when it happens?

From inside the car it distinctly sounds and feels like it is coming from the front driver side wheel well area. I could be sitting in a biased position though. Ill have to find someone to drive it for me, its kind of hard to diagnose when it really only happens until I get out of the driveway.

Kropf
12-23-2007, 10:12 PM
A new thread on another W202 forum sounds like it may be the same issue:

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223658

rabbler
12-24-2007, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Kropf
A new thread on another W202 forum sounds like it may be the same issue:

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223658

Thanks. That was my original suspicion, it looks as if I am going to have to jack it up and look around when I get back into town. Flying home in a few hours once I get off work.

Thanks for the advise everyone. Ill post back if I can get to the bottom of this.

rabbler
01-08-2008, 02:50 PM
So, after a couple of days at the shop they gave me a list of things that need to be fixed either ASAP or can wait a little bit, and none of them sound good.

1. They said the spark plug wires are all trashed and were not aligned correctly so they were misfiring. A trip to autozone with the ODB backs this up. She said they probably have never been replaced and the plugs themselves could stand to be replaced as well. The more scary part about this is that she said from her main distributer they were going to cost $400 and change. $100 per wire! I need to snoop around for a better price, she doesnt usually work on benz', and she is waiting for a call back from the dealer.

2. Two bad front ball joints, pretty much had that figured out.

3. She said my tie rods need to be replaced. I guess the rods themselves are still fine, but the housing on them is pretty much all but gone, and they are going to get worse coming soon.

4. Mass airflow wiring is, down to the wire. She said the rubber has all but melted off possibly to a battery acid leak. Said that they could probably just wrap the bad parts in electrical tape.

5. Left front ball bearing is shot.

6. Last but not least, there is some kind of oil leak coming from high up in the engine and over the duration that it has been a problem it has just covered the inside and all of the electrical wires. I guess some kinda temperature sensor that controls the fuel mixture had come out of its socket, and that oil had got into the hole. They cleaned that out and put the sensor back in, and I guess that is working fine now.

She was having problems finding parts, the ball bearings and the ball joints, and as said above is waiting for the dealership. Time to shop around. Any advise on good prices would be helpful.

Cheers.

rabbler
01-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Wire:
http://catalog.worldpac.com/importec/quote.jsp?partner=importec&year=1994&product=F1020-153166&application=000851847&clientid=importeccatalog.com&cookieid=29S14RL7229S14RRB3&baseurl=http://www.importeccatalog.com/

These are the things they were finding for $400 correct?

Bosch or beru?

Tie rod ends:
http://catalog.worldpac.com/importec/wizard.jsp?partner=importec&clientid=importeccatalog.com&baseurl=http://www.importeccatalog.com/&cookieid=29S14RL7229S14RRB3&year=1994&make=MB&model=C-220-001&category=M&part=Tie+Rod+End

I imagine that is what they were talking about. $60 for two of them.

Ball Joints:
http://catalog.worldpac.com/importec/wizard.jsp?partner=importec&clientid=importeccatalog.com&baseurl=http://www.importeccatalog.com/&cookieid=29S14RL7229S14RRB3&year=1994&make=MB&model=C-220-001&category=L&part=Ball+Joint

These all look like great prices. Can anyone confirm? Any preference on the brands?

Thanks again