PDA

View Full Version : HK Drive + Play Installed

chaddeus
12-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Here's my install I did last night. I'm pretty much finished, just need to get more zip ties to tidy up the cables in the console. Did it myself, not really an electronics person, but simple enough with the right tools.

I mounted everything pretty much the same as Uncle Jase did. Thanks for the inspiration!

I actually really find the cubby shelf useful for things (wallet, phone, pens, whatever). Instead of custom fabricating a panel in front of the cubby shelf, I ziptied the mount until I can come up with a better solution.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/chadchadchad/w202/DSC03328.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/chadchadchad/w202/DSC03327.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/chadchadchad/w202/DSC03330.jpg

Looks pretty good with the sport faux-CF and black interior, I think. Though would love to get the blue LED of the controller amber instead.

anf6789
12-30-2007, 04:03 PM
nice job!, i have one too. its staring to be a bitch though,lol. keeps acting up, it stayed on twice and killed my battery. its still great though

chaddeus
12-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I agree, it makes listening to an iPod in your car way easier. Originally, I had an AI-NET cable but it was slow and it frustrated me while driving. I switched over to using just the headphone jack and RCA inputs, but I hated how it sounded, plus adjusting levels was a pain.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for a power drain, but the way I wired it (the cigarette lighter), I'm hoping that won't be an issue.

The one thing I notice is on my old 4G Clickwheel, if I change or switch artists sometimes there's like a 15 second delay while I guess the Drive+Play tries to resolve where on the iPod the files are and start playing. It's probably my iPod dying, since I've tried a newer iPod on it and it doesn't lag.

Logic
12-31-2007, 09:43 AM
if your unit is staying on your acc lead isnt correctly connected. you need to find a wire that holds 12volts when the key is on and no power with it off.

anf6789
12-31-2007, 09:12 PM
no it has something to do with the hk itself. because it usually shuts off when the car is off. but the unit itself is going retarded so it sometimes stays on and kills my battery, on the screen it says "searching for ipod" even though there is one connected. this has only happened twice though.

DynoXG
01-03-2008, 04:58 AM
Hey Anf, just buy a new one and replace the brain only. They're like $20 on ebay right now.

I got one too but put the display in the corner of the windshield like Anf, it's so much easier to see while driving. But i guess some dont like the look. Either way, it's an awesome solution.

chaddeus
01-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by DynoXG
Hey Anf, just buy a new one and replace the brain only. They're like $20 on ebay right now.

I got one too but put the display in the corner of the windshield like Anf, it's so much easier to see while driving. But i guess some dont like the look. Either way, it's an awesome solution.

Yeah, I test fitted it in that position, but wasn't too keen on it, both during driving and when everything's shut down. :bandit:

Uncle Jase
01-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Nice! matches the CF pretty well. where did you mount the Ipod itself?

chaddeus
01-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Hey, sorry I missed your reply. I used your install as a template, so the HK brain is in the lower center compartment, and the iPod in the upper.

I was thinking the other night of maybe securing it down, but since my iPod is in a rubberized skin, I found out it doesn't move around at all, which I'm glad.