PDA

View Full Version : car wanders

allirroz
12-31-2007, 08:05 AM
What would be the cause for car to wander when braking at a fairly high speed like around 60 to 70 mph . Car would drift to left to right or vice versa when brakes are applied. My pads and rotors are good my tires are good. Alignment is good and straight.
TIA.

NISMOPOWERED
12-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Anything worn in the front. IE control arm bushings,balljoints, or the like.

Fred Hayward
12-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by allirroz
What would be the cause for car to wander when braking at a fairly high speed like around 60 to 70 mph . Car would drift to left to right or vice versa when brakes are applied. My pads and rotors are good my tires are good. Alignment is good and straight.
TIA. If You Have After-market tires &wheels ie Oversize.That will Cause ,Wander >

allirroz
12-31-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by NISMOPOWERED
Anything worn in the front. IE control arm bushings,balljoints, or the like.

Maybe so, I'll need to check. Thanks.

Originally posted by Fred Hayward
If You Have After-market tires &wheels ie Oversize.That will Cause ,Wander >

Hmmm... this is not the first time I've ran plus sizes and wider rims on a car, but it is the first time I've gone staggered
18x8 and 18x9, but skeptical that this would cause the wandering when braking.

Fred Hayward
12-31-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by allirroz
[B]Maybe so, I'll need to check. Thanks.

Hmmm... this is not the first time I've ran plus sizes and wider rims on a car, but it is the first time I've gone staggered
18x8 and 18x9, but skeptical that this would cause the wandering . [when braking/B] If they are brand-new tires,they may need running-in,as I had the same problem!

OzC36
12-31-2007, 07:36 PM
If you wheel offset is outside the recommendations, the braking force on each front wheel may cause an asymmetric loading such that the steeering system backloads and turns either L or R. This effect may be magnified if there is some steering input. Even on a dead straight road, some steering input is required to keep the car from diverging towards the edge due to crown or camber of the road (required to drain the road of water).

Any wear in the steering system may allow the nominal toe value to become either more toe-in or toe-out under braking loads. This might cause unwanted steering effect.

For your staggered set-up (18x8 and 18x9), it appears that AMG recommends a wheel offset of 31 for F and 35 for R. Carlsson recommends 35 for F and 28/35 for R.

Also pay very close attention to the tyre sizes in conjunction with the recommendations. I have previously used 235 tyres on the front of a W202 and found it wanted to tramline and follow every road rut. Changing the front tyre to 225 magically cured that problem.

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/information/fitting_chart/mercedes-benz

allirroz
12-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Yes, I'm running the e55 Mnoblock II offsets 31 fr 35 rear with 225/40/18 and 255/35/18 respectively . It definitely sounds like I have a worn suspension bushing as the culprit.

btw......HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL 202 MEMBERS. MAY THE NEW YEAR BE PROSPEROUS AND SAFE TO ALL.

JRE320
12-31-2007, 09:38 PM
I think your front offset is the problem.

allirroz
12-31-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by JRE320
I think your front offset is the problem.

In what regard and how come? Does the others running the same offset's and wheel setup I have, having the same issue i'm having ?

allirroz
12-31-2007, 09:46 PM
Could it be because it sticks out more than the rears and causes tramlining?

OzC36
12-31-2007, 10:40 PM
allirroz,

I think JRE320 is saying that even though the offset of your new front wheels is approved by AMG, the change in offset over your old wheels has become more positive.

That is, the centreline of your new wheels has moved outboard. This affects the "scrub radius" which will affect your steering. In particular, any asymmetry in braking will have a more noticeable affect on your steering than with your old front wheels.

See below to calculate your new offset:

http://marksink.com/tire_wheel_offset/offset.html

See Wikipedia for "Offset" and see below for "scrub radius".

http://www.familycar.com/Alignment.htm

allirroz
01-01-2008, 07:24 AM
Thanks OzC36.
So the question I now pose, people running the same type of setup I have( and I know they're many), AMG Monoblock II from the w210 e55 with 225/40/18 and 255/35/18 having the same wandering issues I am currently experiencing? Or is this something random that can be eliminated by adjusting toe in/out , if at all it is adjustable on the 202's?

NISMOPOWERED
01-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Did you change your tires or rims and then this started? Or have you had these issues without changing anything? If this started without changing your rims or tires then its most likly not them causeing it. Our front suspensions suck! There are many things that dont last to long.

Fred Hayward
01-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by OzC36
allirroz,

I think JRE320 is saying that even though the offset of your new front wheels is approved by AMG, the change in offset over your old wheels has become more positive.

That is, the centreline of your new wheels has moved outboard. This affects the "scrub radius" which will affect your steering. In particular, any asymmetry in braking will have a more noticeable affect on your steering than with your old front wheels.
At least Aussies & Kiwis Agree on Some-Things !!
See below to calculate your new offset:

http://marksink.com/tire_wheel_offset/offset.html

See Wikipedia for "Offset" and see below for "scrub radius".

http://www.familycar.com/Alignment.htm

JRE320
01-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Your front offset is 31 that's probably the problem. If that's 35 then it's o'k.

benzboy
01-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Dont see how ET31 is an issue.

Anyone who has the staggered E55 AMG wheel setup has ET31 offset on front.

I have the staggered 18x8 ET31 F 18x9 ET35 R and have no issues with wander.

Does anyone else have issues with this setup and wandering?

JRE320
01-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by benzboy
Dont see how ET31 is an issue, as everyone who has the staggered E55 AMG wheels has that offset, I have it, and never notice any wander??

Well if that's the case then I rest my case. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Section 8
01-01-2008, 08:54 PM
sounds like new tires???

happy 2008 yall this is the year i clock a R230

allirroz
01-02-2008, 03:36 AM
Tires are not new. Are about 6 to7k miles old. No uneven wear on them from what I can tell either. I suspect as Nismopowered first suggested that I may have a suspension bushing issue.