PDA

View Full Version : Timing Chain Too Tight

HRC280
12-31-2007, 04:27 PM
I took on the task of changing the headgasket over this long holiday weekend on my '94 C280. During disassembly the timing chain seemed to have some play. Now during re-assembly, the chain seems to be tight. I have cranked the motor and the chain turns. Now that I am placing the timing cover back on, the top chain guide will not fit back in. I have taken the chain tensioner out an the chain does not loosen up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pics of Head Gasket Change out: http://flickr.com/photos/54466514@N00/sets/72157603598140271/

NISMOPOWERED
12-31-2007, 10:50 PM
Did you lock the tensioner before you reinstalled it? Once the chain is removed the tensioner must come out.

HRC280
01-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Yes the tensioner was removed before the timing chain. During re-assembly I placed the chain in place according to the marks I put on thc chain and gears. the next step i took was to put the tensioner back in.

NISMOPOWERED
01-01-2008, 08:03 AM
You have to put that in before you install the tensioner. When you install the tensioner you have to compress it before have. The inner piston needs to come out by pushing from the outside thru. You install the base first then you install the piston and spring. If you dont do it in this order you are over tight on the chair. The tesioner only works one way and can not retract backwards.

HRC280
01-01-2008, 08:11 AM
So at this point, should I take the tensioner out, take the gear on the left off and drop the chain and try it these steps again in reverse order?

NISMOPOWERED
01-01-2008, 08:14 AM
You shouldn't need to remove the chain. take the tensioner out and install the upper guide. then take the tensioner apart and install the out houseing then install the inner piston and spring with the smaller cap to keep it in.

SLAMMED_C
01-01-2008, 06:09 PM
you shouldnt have to remove the chain from the timing gear.. i usually zip tie the timing chain to the cam gears.. as well as mark the position of the chain. so I know everything will be exactly like how it was removed.

the only suggestion I have to you is that the engine turned a lil somehow and that why it was tight when you put it back together?

after spinning the engine a couple times, do all the timing marks line up?
if so.. and the tensioner went back in with no problems, you may be okay.

also check if maybe the chain is on a guide funny too.. maybe jumped on top of the guide?