PDA

View Full Version : corner lights question

Devero
01-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Hey I was wondering how you guys did this to your corner lights.... your low beams are on but your corners aren't. when you put on your turn signal do they still light up? thanks

some example pics:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e64/chridev/DSC02890.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e64/chridev/09292007125.jpg

Espresso
01-01-2008, 05:13 PM
The corner lights are not supposed to be on with the lights. They are turn signals only.

Mine... Low beams
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Black05PT/DSCF4194.jpg

Mine...City lights.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Black05PT/DSCF4197.jpg

Devero
01-01-2008, 05:57 PM
hmmm.... well than why are they lit on my car?

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e64/chridev/P1000778.jpg

crazy00c230k
01-01-2008, 07:30 PM
all american cars have parking lights that come on w/ur low-beams, so all american 202 corners turn on w/the low-beams, as far as how to turn them off, pretty sure you can do it the legit way by using a star-diagnostics computer, only other way i can think of is to find out which wire causes them do come on w/ur headlights and snip it

Kropf
01-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by crazy00c230k
... other way i can think of is to find out which wire causes them do come on w/ur headlights and snip it

Careful, snipping that wire will prevent them from coming on at all, which may create a Dept. of Motor Vehicles Inspection problem.

I think another way would be to change the bulb socket from a 3 wire that uses a 2 filament bulb (for parking and turn signal), to a 2 wire socket (that I assume is only turn signal).

My used Clear Corners came with 2 wire sockets. There are no numbers on them, but maybe the dealerships have both socket versions available. (Which could still leave you with a DMV Inspection problem unless you switch them back.)

Originally posted by crazy00c230k
pretty sure you can do it the legit way by using a star-diagnostics computer

Hummmm... Is it actually possible to reprogram the computer so that my parking lights and front C43 fog lights come on whenever the ignition is in position 2 (driving/running)?

bish0p
01-01-2008, 08:07 PM
you can do this by rewiring it. i don't know where you're from but here in california i believe it's illegal. All you do is run a resistor so the car thinks that it's on but you won't see it. but when you signal the second filament burns so you see it. so basically you're going to be using only one filament when you do that.

crazy00c230k
01-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Hummmm... Is it actually possible to reprogram the computer so that my parking lights and front C43 fog lights come on whenever the ignition is in position 2 (driving/running)? [/B]

I'm not sure, but i know other things can be taken care of w/the computer like the fog lights coming on after turn off ur car and shut the door if the headlights have been on (aka "rape lights"), so i just assumed there would be a fix like that for the corners too, but apparently ur corners came w/a 2 wire socket, so that is probably the difference b/w the US and other country's cars, so in retrospect i doubt there is a computer fix for the parking lights. and as far as setting up custom lighting options when ur keys are in a certain position, i dont think its possible, as far as i know things like the rape lights and DRLs are an on/off choice on the diagnostics machine, so i dont think making a custom set up is possible

RemoLexi
01-01-2008, 11:24 PM
if you use an aftermarket 2-pin socket it does take out your front parking lights BUT it makes the rear turn signals GLOW orange on my car ... pretty funky but I havnt gotton pulled over for it when I had it like that but it was just funky like my turn signals didnt work at all and on the cluster the green arrows would glow as well. this isnt something you should do just for safety purposes ... imagine you dont have turn signals? hell not like i ever use mine but there have been conditions on the road when you will want to have them.

ryhi
01-02-2008, 02:26 AM
i rewired mine to a 194 bulb and stuck it into the city light hole so it doesnt throw the bulb out indicator light.

Devero
01-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by ryhi
i rewired mine to a 194 bulb and stuck it into the city light hole so it doesnt throw the bulb out indicator light.

ryhi, can you explain in more detail how you did this? thanks

bish0p
01-08-2008, 11:59 AM
you're basically using the bulb as a resistor. you can just buy a resistor and wire that in. so the computer sees the resistor drawing power and thinks that there's a bulb on there. so the lights out won't go on.

Devero
01-13-2008, 06:43 PM
but will they still blink when i flip on my turn signal?

thanks for your input guys

Kropf
01-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Devero
but will they still blink when i flip on my turn signal?

I think ryhi is talking about re-wiring just the front parking lights into 194 bulbs mounted in the 'City Lights' hole so that the 'City Lights' will be lit instead of the corner parking lights. Replacing the 3-pin corner sockets with 2-pin sockets will still operate (blink) the turn signals as before.