PDA

View Full Version : Navi install, need a little help.

RemoLexi
01-01-2008, 01:46 PM
so ive got my 2.0 comand almost done ..

http://a421.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/122/l_cba041a62b1c8018d9c8f045aceb49b4.jpg

http://a347.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/102/l_02d81f4699f994ddef52bb8dce49897a.jpg
sorry for the filth ..
http://a782.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/83/l_33c705abe7bc7e3ae8b40a6bf8a1ba8d.jpg

http://a364.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/45/l_2934cc7269b2bfc42dea2201b0f70f83.jpg

now its closer to being finished still need to do a few more things to make it a clean (working) install.

now I need some help from people who have done this,

-Ive got my GPS antenna bolted to the roof, but I need the Part number (and picture if you have one) of the wire that goes from the headunit to the roof-mounted antenna.

-Ive managed to wire a hi-low converter for my aftermarket subwoofer/amp, now its time for my Ipod, is there something that plugs into my ipod (charges it) and controls my ipod through the headunit ? ... so I would never have to look at my ipod for any reason.

-I really dont like how I have to take out the music CD in order to use the NAVI feature to guide me around, so I would like to get an aftermarket CD changer but never used a CD changer before nor did I ever install one, advise me on this what should I buy and from 1-5 scale of installation difficulty.

-I purchased this used unit and inside it had a Navi CD but it only shows SF and SJ bay area (California) im in Sacramento and need the CD for my area ... is there a 1-disk for my area that I can buy somewhere rather then having to buy the entire collection from my dealership?

-I have an extra W210 cluster with the LCD screen in it, ive searched this and like how another member installed the Navi+W210 cluster and steering wheel with mounted controls, what is needed for the install of those items?

Replies are very much appreciated, everyone have a happy new! year! :)

DRM
01-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by RemoLexi

-I have an extra W210 cluster with the LCD screen in it, ive searched this and like how another member installed the Navi+W210 cluster and steering wheel with mounted controls, what is needed for the install of those items?

You will need a W208 cluster

RemoLexi
01-01-2008, 02:22 PM
ive got both the 208 and W210 cluster ... are they differnt? im assuming theres an extra wire loom for the cluster/steering controls/navi so they are to be used together?

SLAMMED_C
01-01-2008, 05:36 PM
pretty good job on the install bud.

okay.. I just dug up the part number for the antenna cable that goes from the head unit to the roof antenna.. 168 540 82 07.. this is what i used in my car.. after trial and tribulations with ordering a W203 antenna cable (the wrong one completely!!) the 168 numbered part is the right number for our style of connectors on the antenna cables and at the head unit.

but also remember that you need another cable.. there is one that goes between the antenna cable from the roof antenna and the head unit. its a very short cable.. an adapter basically. if you bought the comand from MBenzNL it should have been included.
edit: okay just re-read.. you bought it used.. then it may not have come with the antenna.. i dont think i have the part number for the adapter cable.. ill have a look for it though.

hope this helps.

Ashkan's C280
01-01-2008, 08:45 PM
How much did all the cost you? Does Steve do installs for 202s anymore? I know there is more money in 211s and newer cars, but I'd hope he'd be willing to do installs for his old pals at club202. Cheers.

~ Ashkan

RemoLexi
01-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Slammed-C I saw your install and its of of the installs that inspired me and lucky I found this unit for free from a good friend after he smashed his 210 years back I called him and he had this unit on the shelf collecting dust in his garage so I got lucky there. I picked up the GPS antenna at a local wrecker yard from a 210 also for $120.

the connecter you say I may need does it look like a splitter with one cable going to the teleaid control module in the trunk on 210's? thank you very much for the P/N what was the price on that if you remember ill order it at work tomarrow.

Ashkan, so far this cost me $120 for the antenna (those go for almost $400 new) and $40 for a hi-low converter for subs thats pretty much all everything else is my own time/work. :)

SLAMMED_C
01-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Slammed-C I saw your install and its of of the installs that inspired me and lucky I found this unit for free from a good friend after he smashed his 210 years back I called him and he had this unit on the shelf collecting dust in his garage so I got lucky there. I picked up the GPS antenna at a local wrecker yard from a 210 also for $120.

the connecter you say I may need does it look like a splitter with one cable going to the teleaid control module in the trunk on 210's? thank you very much for the P/N what was the price on that if you remember ill order it at work tomarrow.

nice score on the free comand!! no.. the connector you need is a short cable that just connects the antenna wire (the one i gave you the part number for) to the head unit. it has a square connector on one end (goes into the comand) and then the other end is round with a locking tab on it so it locks to the antenna cable.

the antenna cable with PN 168 was about $50 I think.. maybe a lil more. under $100 for sure though.

RemoLexi
01-04-2008, 08:46 AM
http://www.cars.engisoft.net/Images/Catalog/Products/Mer/W163Nav1.JPG

does it look like this?

so id still need to buy the extension cable too huh ?

DRM
01-04-2008, 01:46 PM
ive got both the 208 and W210 cluster ... are they differnt? im assuming theres an extra wire loom for the cluster/steering controls/navi so they are to be used together?

Yeah I don't know why but steve told me, guess you could e-mail him for some help?

SLAMMED_C
01-07-2008, 06:50 PM
http://www.cars.engisoft.net/Images/Catalog/Products/Mer/W163Nav1.JPG

does it look like this?

so id still need to buy the extension cable too huh ?

YES.. thats the adapter cable that goes between the comand and antenna cable.. you got it bud!

RemoLexi
01-10-2008, 09:04 PM
thanks ... but is it that short ??? I know there has to be another long cable in between the antenna and this adapter ?. :confused:

Slammed, thanks for your help too man!

SLAMMED_C
01-12-2008, 08:29 PM
thanks ... but is it that short ??? I know there has to be another long cable in between the antenna and this adapter ?. :confused:

Slammed, thanks for your help too man!
The part number I gave you for the cable goes from the roof antenna and then runs through the car side sill channels up to the comand.. that short cable you posted the pic of connects to the antenna cable that you run up to the comand.. so you can plug the antenna cable into the comand. i hope that made sense.

RemoLexi
01-12-2008, 10:43 PM
yea I got that, only problem is -I used the P/n you gave me to see if Parts' dept. can order it and Mercedes-Benz cant order it its not a part made by Mercedes. I have to find one online. :(

SLAMMED_C
01-12-2008, 10:55 PM
yea I got that, only problem is -I used the P/n you gave me to see if Parts' dept. can order it and Mercedes-Benz cant order it its not a part made by Mercedes. I have to find one online. :(
what...really?
i ordered that part from my dealer.. it is a mercedes part.

RemoLexi
01-13-2008, 01:01 PM
ill keep pulling strings ... worst case .. I may ask you to help me with it.

dpc004
01-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Nice install, but where did you get the command bezel? I have been looking for one like that but with three switches on the top. Is that available from the dealer?