PDA

View Full Version : Gonna have to splice stereo wires

Espresso
01-05-2008, 07:17 AM
This sucks. A harness is not avail here & I need this radio installed by tomorrow afternoon.
I searched & ALL the pics are down on the harness' & such so I cannot find which wires do what(anywhere on the internet).
I have an assload of things to do today, so I cannot sit searching for hours.
I got the BOSE system.
That is one of the bad things about being here. Even simple things like this are not always in stock.
I still do not even know if I can get the antenna adapter. But I just want the stereo hooked up so the guy coming to look at it, atleast knows the audio system works.
Hell, it is going to take a month just for the small window to get here...only $80, but a damn MONTH for a piece of glass.

I hate even think of getting rid of this car, but parts availability SUCKS here. I may buy new, atleast I know parts are stocked for this stuff. Looking at possibly getting a 2008 ML 420CDI

ANY HELP would be appreciated.

Logic
01-05-2008, 07:42 AM
well year and make and model of your car usually helps but if your looking for a factory amplifier integrade harness metra makes one model 70-1786 . only draw backs on some of these harness's they car cause engine whine or sometimes amp turn on noise. the 70-1786 is a amp intergrater using rca ends on it the 1784 will also work but will be speaker level . the only thing is the 1784 is the volume can get loud pretty quick. plus you will have to change the constant and acc which in that harness are backwards. as far as the antenna adapter the model number is 40-vw12 or even 40-vw 10 will also work. also doing some research the 70-9401 will also work and is a landrover harness but like the volkswagon harness its speaker level... hope this has help... the years this will work on is 1996 threw 2000 c230 and c280 and c43.

Espresso
01-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Maybe you didnt understand...
THEY DO NOT HAVE HARNESSES HERE. They also take weeks to get here. I need this in TOMORROW. No harnesses, none. Not for BMW, Toyota, ect..

Make & model? Check the sig
Also. I posted info on antenna adapters numbers & such a while back. I know what works & what doesnt.

But like I said. They do NOT have them here. I need a diagram so I can splice the wires.
that is all.

I have to start begging the dealers to see if I can get anything.

expo5.0
01-05-2008, 10:35 AM
power and ground will be larger gauge wire- ground is brown

remote you'll have to test for (probably red/blue)

speaker wires you can test for using a 9 volt battery

don't worry about splicing the wires- you'll have a better connection and higher quality than you would with a "kit" anyways

Logic
01-05-2008, 11:15 AM
you don't have to be rude.... was just saying that metra makes these for cars. i was also stating the numbers just in case some one else needed model numbers etc. why did you wait at the last moment to get this stereo installed ???? you could have planned for it also.
COLOR POLARITY LOCATION
Battery WHITE/YELLOW (+) RADIO HARNESS
Accessory WHITE/RED (+) RADIO HARNESS
Ground BLACK (-) RADIO HARNESS
Illumination RED/BLACK (+) RADIO HARNESS
Dimmer RED (-) RADIO HARNESS
Power Antenna YELLOW/WHITE (+) RADIO HARNESS
Amp Turn On YELLOW/WHITE (+) RADIO HARNESS
LF Speaker (+) WHITE
LF Speaker (-) ORANGE
RF Speaker (+) YELLOW
RF Speaker (-) BROWN
LR Speaker (+) RED
LR Speaker (-) GREEN
RR Speaker (+) BLUE
RR Speaker (-) BLACK
Amp Location MOUNTED TO BRACKET IN RIGHT SIDE OF TRUNK
Steering Cntrls YES
Speed Cntrl NO
Radio Security YES
these colors were pulled for a audiovox site based on a 2000 c280 mercedes colors may vary to this chart but at least it will guide you in the right direction.

Espresso
01-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Logic
you don't have to be rude

why did you wait at the last moment to get this stereo installed ???? you could have planned for it also.

COLOR POLARITY LOCATION
Battery WHITE/YELLOW (+) RADIO HARNESS
Accessory WHITE/RED (+) RADIO HARNESS
Ground BLACK (-) RADIO HARNESS
Illumination RED/BLACK (+) RADIO HARNESS
Dimmer RED (-) RADIO HARNESS
Power Antenna YELLOW/WHITE (+) RADIO HARNESS
Amp Turn On YELLOW/WHITE (+) RADIO HARNESS
LF Speaker (+) WHITE
LF Speaker (-) ORANGE
RF Speaker (+) YELLOW
RF Speaker (-) BROWN
LR Speaker (+) RED
LR Speaker (-) GREEN
RR Speaker (+) BLUE
RR Speaker (-) BLACK
Amp Location MOUNTED TO BRACKET IN RIGHT SIDE OF TRUNK
Steering Cntrls YES
Speed Cntrl NO
Radio Security YES
these colors were pulled for a audiovox site based on a 2000 c280 mercedes colors may vary to this chart but at least it will guide you in the right direction.

First was not not being rude. As you know the internet covey emotion. I was shouting however, because YOU did not read my post properly. My fault on that & I apologize. I was just in a hurry & had 3 phone calls at the same time. So i am a bit aggravated. Not going to see any money from HOA for a long time for this, cash coming out of MY pocket AND I have to sell for a cheaper price, because of the damage. So I am a bit pissed at this entire country right now.

Second. Hardly waiting until the last moment. My car was broken into WHILE it was forsale. I was able to get a stereo LAST NIGHT. Ummm...Plan for it? Well, lets see. I did plan..
My plan..as SOON as I get a stereo get it put in.
So I am sticking to my plan. I got my radio last night at 9PM. Now I have it installed & it is working, with the exception of the radio, because of the antenna.
Thank You for the wiring info. But it is not correct. WELL, not correct for my particular car wiring.

Sorry if I was being short, again I apologize.

Espresso
01-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Just a couple of pics
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Black05PT/C280%20sport/DSCF7479.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Black05PT/C280%20sport/DSCF7480.jpg

Proven Guilty
01-05-2008, 02:07 PM
I believe it was a volkswagen harness for my '99 C230K, and I had to reverse the wiring for 12v+ constant (yellow) and the ignition wire (red) to get the presets to save.

If it takes that long to order and arrive, you could always order one now, and install it in a month now that you have it roughed in and working. ;)

Espresso
01-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
I believe it was a volkswagen harness for my '99 C230K, and I had to reverse the wiring for 12v+ constant (yellow) and the ignition wire (red) to get the presets to save.

If it takes that long to order and arrive, you could always order one now, and install it in a month now that you have it roughed in and working. ;)

Yeah, the VW 87-up harness from crutchfield works. That is what I had with my Sony..but ofcourse they just unplugged it from the factory harness. Atleast they didn't cut the wires.

Considering I may not have the car as of tomorrow night. Ordering it would be a waste(today atleast). If this guy doesn't buy the car I will order it. But I needed it working tomorrow, because that is one of his prerequisites, is to make sure the BOSE system works, as we know..IT IS EXPENSIVE to fix.

I also just made a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cord so I can plug my laptop into the AUX. I got some vid of TRANSFORMERS playing through the stereo. I just gotta figure out Media Movie Maker to make the size smaller .

Espresso
01-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Here is a short vid.
Kinda boring. I made if mainly for my forsale ad, so they know everything works before bugging my ass & asking 100 questions.

Can someone let me know if the link works?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwmcFj50_pc

anf6789
01-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Video works for me.

oh not sure if this helps at all, but my stereo is hooked up via a harness called a pack oem2. dont now if that helps, but it is freakin confusing, theres a bout a hundred different wires back there, its hard to tell which ones which,lol