PDA

View Full Version : battery?

benzo23
01-15-2008, 05:24 PM
hey well this morn i went to go and get gas at like 10...drove fine just like normal, went to go get in it at noon to go to work and lights came on but wouldnt cranlk, then got like flickering lights and what not, now my issue that im having is that i tryed to pop the trunk with my remote and when i did i keep hearing this clicking inside the trunk on the right hand side (pass side) along the side pannel..i know there is a mechignasim that controls the doors and trunk unlocking and what not...now i can get into my trunk with the pop thing with the key blade, but my question is that if this stupid clicking continues will it burn out?,,or will it just suck the last of the juice out of the already pretty much dead battery?,,any suggestions would be great..thanks..

benzo23
01-15-2008, 05:58 PM
and i heard that there was a recall on the batt for the 98 so i went out and looked at the batt, and it is not the original its been replaced but when i put my blade key into the trunk popper and turned to open the trunk, the windows rolled down...very very strange

xvvvz
01-15-2008, 06:50 PM
>>the windows rolled down<<

This is a standard feature.

benzo23
01-16-2008, 04:22 AM
i understand that, but not if i open the trunk...

JRE320
01-16-2008, 08:21 AM
How old is your battery?

benzo23
01-16-2008, 11:59 AM
prob 4 to 5

JRE320
01-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by benzo23
prob 4 to 5

Time to change your battery..

junklar
01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
maybe your alternator needs to be changed as well.. if the car dies out on you again with the new battery then change your alternator

DynoXG
01-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Just stop by a kragen or autozone and they can check your alternator for free. If it's good, take out the battery and they'll check that as well.

OzC36
01-18-2008, 04:55 AM
benzo23,

I've said this a few times on the different MB forums...I once had a case where my wife borrowed my sister's C180. She went shopping and then called me up and said that the car wouldn't start.

I found her at the shopping centre and took a look. Sure enough, instrument lights on normally, but no engine crank. I quizzed her on what her last actions were. She said she locked some groceries in the trunk and went back shopping.

Sure enough, I found that the trunk lock was overturned clock-wise about 90 degrees. I inserted the key in the trunk and turned it back 90 degrees.

Tried the ignition again and the car then instantly was able to crank and start normally!

Go figure!

benzo23
01-18-2008, 08:53 AM
damn, never thought about that, but i ended up taking it to autozone and they tested it and it was around .83 volts...so got a new duralast and put it in and i swear the damn thing has never started up faster...they tested the altinator as well and found that to be in excellent shape too...

junklar
01-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by benzo23
damn, never thought about that, but i ended up taking it to autozone and they tested it and it was around .83 volts...so got a new duralast and put it in and i swear the damn thing has never started up faster...they tested the altinator as well and found that to be in excellent shape too...

did autozone test the alternator while it was still on the car?

DynoXG
01-18-2008, 01:49 PM
They test while it's on the car. They just connect their meter to the battery circuit and check to see if its charging the battery, and if so, with sufficient amps.
I'm not sure if they can test the charging capability of the battery on the car. Usually I remove it and take it in and they pop it on their machine and will let you know within 10 minutes if the battery is good.

benzo23
01-19-2008, 08:55 AM
they had me rev it up to 2k rpm and leave it for like 30 seconds and they said that everything looked great and was charing my new battery, all in all it was easy to change out except that i had to re- route where the battery tube fed to the one in the car nothing a little extra tubing and some zip ties didnt fix..