PDA

View Full Version : Trannie Opinion

adamsry
01-26-2008, 05:00 AM
Ok i have a 1994 C280 and it is Whore Red ... "MB calls it Imperial Red" I really love the color and the cream interior and i don't want to give her up ...But!

The car has a funky shift from third to 4th this is an auto and not the 5 speed or tiptronic.

I took the car to a Transmission shop and it appears that the car's 4 clutch pack is going bad. The shop tells me that 1,2, & 3rd packs will have to be removed to repair this so... might as well replace those while they are in there. The shop at this point with the car still driving will set me back say 1600/ 1800 US repair the warranty will be 1 year and unlimited mileage.

First off i bought the car for 3 grand so... i could invest a little but the car still needs a full body paint job to be like new.

There presently is 108,000 on the odo and want to make sure that no other common gremlins could present them selves.

The car was reasonably well maintained by the prior owner and had the engine harness replaced in 2001 so that is one concern i don't have PTL.

I guess what im asking is sell the car make a profit and buy one that i think does not have issues "LOL" or keep what i have fix it and stick with the daemon that i know...

Thus far i have repaired a fuel leak, door lock issue, head liner, repaired Bose system, fixed misc trim pieces that have cracked and become brittle due to age. Things i know that need to be corrected is there is a minor vacuum leak for the AC control block " waiting to repair so i can replace all the bolos that have issues to if i decide to rip the dash apart. The wiper motor is bad works but boy is she noisy ( it is the gear box that is messed up) The car needs to be stripped and sanded then repainted.

So it is hit or miss if i fix all the present flaws I'm rapidly approaching the cars retail value. Or i could sell it keep some cash buy something else and let this be someone else's problem but then who knows for sure what the status quo is for what i decided to buy... I really like the red color LOL only seen one other 202 like it.

So what would you do ?

DynoXG
01-26-2008, 07:10 AM
I'm in the same position as you. I bought mine for 3000 as well, and have already invested in it about 2000 in fixing many problems, and that figure is low since I did many of the repairs myself.

My opinion would be for you to keep it. The great thing is that it's already had the wiring harness replaced which is one of the most common and expensive failures. However, due to it's age, you will be getting more problems here and there and you'll have to deal with those as they come along. You never know all the things you may have to repair if you buy another 202. But if you choose to take this route, it would be to your best interest to have someone who knows these inspect as much as possible to see any upcoming or current problems with the car you want to buy.

junklar
01-26-2008, 07:13 AM
You are probably going to need to change the head gaskets as well, if the previous owner had not already changed it..
That would set you back another
$1200

Another repair that would be needed is changing the electronic throttle actuator, which is made up of the same wires used on the original engine harnesses..
That would set you back another $400 if you want it rebuilt, $1000 if you decide to buy a new one from autohaus, or $2000 if you decide to buy it from the dealer

I have the same vacuum leak as well that I didn't fix yet.

after getting my throttle actuator rebuilt, my car would reach the retail value

sell the car, you have another 202 anyways!!

Sulaco
01-26-2008, 12:57 PM
I also have a 1994 C280.

It's done that slight gap in shifting from 3rd to 4th for about 5 years now. But only when it's not warmed up yet.

I'm ignoring it until I can't get to work. 5 years so far (knock on wood).

But I agree with junklar. Sell your car. Sell it to me. Now.
That head gasket is ultimately GOING to happen. I did mine myself for $200. But for the faint-of-heart it will cost you at LEAST 1200 at a shop.