PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start

JDoggery
01-27-2008, 06:08 PM
I think it might be the battery. Unlocked the car and the doors unlocked fine, but there was a long noise from the rear of the car, like it was trying to unlock the trunk.

Put the key in the ignition and the lights came on, but it would not start.

If it is the battery which one should I replace it with? It's the oem Mercedes one now, can that be refilled? I want to make sure it can handle a lot of car audio as well. Should I call roadside and have them come out?

junklar
01-28-2008, 04:02 AM
If the battery were dead then the dash lights wouldn't light up..

Looks like it is something else.. make sure the trunk lock is turned all the way to the left

benzo23
01-28-2008, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by junklar

Looks like it is something else.. make sure the trunk lock is turned all the way to the left

not true at all, trust me i went through this exact situation last week u can look at my thread on here...i mean word for word the same, well my out come was getting it jumped and took it up to autozone where they they tested it and was giving .87 volts which was enough to get the lights to come on, BUT not enough to get cranking amps..so i put a new duralast red top in there and it started right up, actually never so fast...and as for audio i am running jl audio 12" with a 400w memphis amp and havent had issues yet..knock on wood..i would suggest getting a cap if u dont already have one because it doesnt put nearly as much strain on your battery, oh and they tested my alternater too and it was fine..they had me rev to 2k for about 30 second to test it...i mean OEM is cool and all but, i get a free 2 year replacement if it ever goes dead and a 3 year pro ration after the 2 years...so basicly im covered for 5 years...i dont know about mb's but i do know that they wanted like 150 for it and i paid 90..

benzo23
01-28-2008, 04:31 AM
oh and that noise you were hearing click, was it coming from inside the trunk on the right hand side? because if it was i also had the same problem it was the trunk release trying to release and i un hooked my battery because i was afraid of buring out that motor

Section 8
01-28-2008, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by junklar

thats not true

i ahve had same problem put the key in try to start lights come on dash but no start..it was the battery..

junklar
01-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by benzo23
they tested it and was giving .87 volts which was enough to get the lights to come on, BUT not enough to get cranking amps..

You are probably right, not enough to crank.. when my alternator decided to go south the lights on the dash wouldn't even go on.. so in my case the car drained the battery completely..

ScottyP
01-28-2008, 04:39 PM
After changing the battery and the car still wont start, check/change the OVP relay (Overload Protection Relay).

Ive now fried a few of these relays. A battery change/jump will blow this relay also.

benzo23
01-28-2008, 04:54 PM
whoa...damn, umm...so new battery and still wont start..does it attempt to crank?..could it be your starter?..plugs? bad wires?..describe what happens when your try to put it past turn number 2 in the ignition..

ScottyP
01-29-2008, 09:09 AM
whoa...damn, umm...so new battery and still wont start..does it attempt to crank?..could it be your starter?..plugs? bad wires?..describe what happens when your try to put it past turn number 2 in the ignition..

From my experiences, the engine will crank but not start (while you have battery power). Or starts but runs only a few seconds.

If either is occuring, then I would check the OVP relay..

Ive had one blow after jumping the car to start, another when installing a new battery, and recently when a new injector seal was installed & leaked. These relays are a complete mystery for what events makes them burn out. I now keep a backup one just in-case. :confused:

JDoggery
02-07-2008, 09:38 AM
replaced the battery and it started right up. anyone know why the battery is so big?

Logic
02-07-2008, 10:36 AM
the battery is so big because of all the accessories even tho a battery is there to start the car . the bigger the battery the more CCA they have a better reserve they carry. the battery acts like a big capacitor to the alternator. it also filters ripple or unclean power. when the car is started the alternator does everything and sometime when things are added to the car the alternator cant keep up then it starts to take energy from the battery. the bad thing about primary batteries , which is a standard car battery is when the battery goes dead it is only 50% efficent from before. goes dead again its 50% efficent from before that.... and so on . i like optima yellow tops since they are a starting battery/ deep cycle battery. any time they go dead they can be recharged..primary batteries can hold a charge but cant be recharged....i know i went a little crazy there but just explaining how battieres work...

dezinetech1000
03-07-2009, 06:04 PM
not true at all, trust me i went through this exact situation last week u can look at my thread on here...i mean word for word the same, well my out come was getting it jumped and took it up to autozone where they they tested it and was giving .87 volts which was enough to get the lights to come on, BUT not enough to get cranking amps..so i put a new duralast red top in there and it started right up, actually never so fast...and as for audio i am running jl audio 12" with a 400w memphis amp and havent had issues yet..knock on wood..i would suggest getting a cap if u dont already have one because it doesnt put nearly as much strain on your battery, oh and they tested my alternater too and it was fine..they had me rev to 2k for about 30 second to test it...i mean OEM is cool and all but, i get a free 2 year replacement if it ever goes dead and a 3 year pro ration after the 2 years...so basicly im covered for 5 years...i dont know about mb's but i do know that they wanted like 150 for it and i paid 90..

Yeah, you're absolutely correct.. My 99 didn't turn also.. didn't make that "tick, tick, tick, tick" noise either (when you need a new starter). It however made this weird noise, one that I had never heard of before.. sounded like "puff" like engine just cut off.. or a jet engine had just powered down.... anyhow all the lights were on very strong... btw... the car was cranking slow before this happened... so i replaced the starter and nothing.. then replaced the battery from autozone... and what do ya know.. cranks right up.. harder and faster.. So just because the car still lights up strong and everything, it could still be the battery! **Important** when removing the battery to go get it tested, LEAVE TRUNK OPEN and release the Lever to the rear backseat because these cars don't have cables! everything is electronic and works off a battery.. So suppose you took the battery off and closed the trunk, you're screwed!.. I learn the hard way :(