PDA

View Full Version : May-day May-day 202 down!

CleanGreen230
01-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Okay, so a few days ago I started up my C230 and heard a click clack noise. After a quick search, I saw numerous posts pertaining to the belt tensioner, shock, etc. The noise went away... that is until today.

I had just picked up my daughter from daycare when the noise came back and increased. I went ahead and made a service appointment with the $tealership for Wed. We made a left hand turn and the car died. Luckily it was at a red light and there was a car in front of us. It started up again, however, there was a loud whiny noise in addition to the clacking and I could smell something burning/ heating up. I turned off all accessories and took it VERY slow the rest of the way home.

Upon pulling into the driveway, I popped the hood, and noticed one of my pulleys wasn't turning and THAT was causing the belt to heat up/ burn. The pulley that isn't turning is located directly in front of the engine. It has four bolts protruding as well as a threaded piece in the center. It is just to the left and slightly higher than the idle pulley. I wish I had a pic to better explain which one it is. If anyone knows what this pulley is/controls or an idea of how much the dealership might try to stick me with... any feedback is greatly APPRECIATED. Sorry for the short novel!
Please help.
- Roger -

benztec
01-28-2008, 03:03 PM
sounds like your water pump pulley. couple hours labor and parts. belt, pump, coolant etc. cant remember the exact layout of the pulley's on that engine but your description is pretty good of it so thats my best guess without seeing a picture.

Cru328prod
01-29-2008, 06:45 AM
lmfaoooooo that happened to me accept mines broke off, and damaged the fan clutch.........mmmh i wonder if there is a TSB on the water pump pulley

CleanGreen230
01-29-2008, 12:33 PM
**UPDATE**

Thanks for all the info / feedback. I had my C230 towed to the dealership and they should be looking at it tonight / tomorrow morning. I've seen water pumps online for about $250-$300, is that accurate?

Cru328prod, do you remember how much the repair/parts cost?

I hope it doesn't take too long for the dealership to have me in and out.... and I hope it ain't too painful either (if ya know what I mean) :confused: - Roger -

JRE320
01-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by CleanGreen230
**UPDATE**

Thanks for all the info / feedback. I had my C230 towed to the dealership and they should be looking at it tonight / tomorrow morning. I've seen water pumps online for about $250-$300, is that accurate?

Cru328prod, do you remember how much the repair/parts cost?

I hope it doesn't take too long for the dealership to have me in and out.... and I hope it ain't too painful either (if ya know what I mean) :confused: - Roger -

Nothing is more painful than the stealership. :o

Cru328prod
01-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Well give the fact I had a spare water pump from my old engine, didn't cost a thing. If you’re mechanically inclined I wouldn’t even let them work on it. You already know what’s wrong with it; so take it to another repair shop. You’re going to get stuck with $120hr(s) labor. Order a water pump threw like LKQ (junk yard), or even an aftermarket one, take it to a shop that’s cheaper, and bam. The only thing you should get from the dealer is the liquid gasket….hmm or was it paper…..I think it was liquid. If you want to do it your self, email me cbisram@hotmail.com I’ll send you how to do it.

stevodotorg
02-21-2008, 05:37 PM
ebay baby.. search w202 waterpump, just bought mine for around 60 dollars..

anyone have a manual or some assembly shots? I plan on installing hopefully this weekend.

Cru328prod
02-21-2008, 07:47 PM
lmaooooooo dude u still haven't gotten it fixed.....email me again i'll send u steps

cbisram@hotmail.com

i can't remember if you need a special tool to remove the fan clutch

CleanGreen230
02-25-2008, 01:20 PM
No, Way....I got mine fixed right away....I needed to. I guess he's just another member with the same problem...

stevodotorg
02-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by CleanGreen230
No, Way....I got mine fixed right away....I needed to. I guess he's just another member with the same problem...

Yeah he was referring to me, got the directions needed, going to work on it this week, I miss driving my car.. 1989 ford ranger just isn't doin' it for me.