View Full Version : nitrous

koepfsm
02-05-2008, 10:48 PM
If i was to use nitrous

dry shot or wet shot

is the dry shot hard on the car than the wet shot

omeyhomey
02-06-2008, 12:29 AM
you have a mercedes... please do not use nitrous... its fake HP and you are only fooling yourself. Put that money into actually making the car faster the natural way, it will be much more rewarding in the long run.

Logic
02-06-2008, 07:56 AM
what omey said....you can even ask cru328prod when he did his it was all good and all but the problems that arised after he did it , it isn't worth it....

Denlasoul
02-06-2008, 08:36 AM
I have to disagree with the two above posters.

If done CORRECTLY, N2O is a good alternative to major engine modifications. It has been proven for many years, though not many are willing to take the plunge with a Mercedes. When someone finally takes the bullet, many shops are unfamiliar with the MB setup and install is not correct.

In all, if you know what you are doing, why not try N2O?

Its as risky as any other unproven performance mod out there.

expo5.0
02-06-2008, 09:11 AM
there is nothing riskier about nitrous than a turbo or supercharger

i don't get the negativity

if i can get enough cooling with my air-water ic that i don't end up running meth i'll likey run a 50 shot myself

wet or dry depends on what else you have done to the car and how much power you are trying to add

Logic
02-06-2008, 10:16 AM
base from what i read on 202's the increase horse power not only cause's problems with engine, it also will cause transmission problems since the tranny is not able to handle the added torqe. but again the risk is all you when its added . a correct install even tho done right will have its fall out and added fixes etc...

JRE320
02-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Logic
base from what i read on 202's the increase horse power not only cause's problems with engine, it also will cause transmission problems since the tranny is not able to handle the added torqe. but again the risk is all you when its added . a correct install even tho done right will have its fall out and added fixes etc...

Totally agree with you. Nitrous is not for Mercedes Benz no matter
how right your installation is.

expo5.0
02-06-2008, 11:49 AM
it is NO less right by the reasoning presented than ANY OTHER modification which adds hp-

justify your positions with data/reasoning?

Section 8
02-06-2008, 12:16 PM
what the fuck are u lot on about....

mercedes enthusiast did a story on using nitrous with the 2.3K engine and it worked fine no problems everyone saying it dont work on emrcedes....mercedes make the strongest engines,,if your gonna use it get a fewopinons from people who fit it for a living

peace

Logic
02-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Recently, I did a ton of research and contacted some of the countries top NOS guys....the true experts were very honest in that, if it's done right, it can give you a ton of power....but at a cost.....worn rings, burned pistons, galled cylinders, worn wristpins, early failure in the crank bearings....and that's if you have no problems. One little puddling and associated backfire will cost you a top end to your engine.

To me, it wasn't worth the price of admission...I like my car in one piece.

I HAD nitrous on my 230 for about six runs until the computer (who retains 10% control, even with ASR OFF) shuts the throttle body while you are still spraying due to excessive wheel spin. If I were to EVER run it again it would be direct port with a custom manifold. When my backfire happened the fuel and nitrous was trapped in the manifold and it blew apart, taking the inlet elbow to the TB and the intercooler end tank with it (not to mention the MAF). Dealer would have charged prolly $3000 to fix. I fixed it myself for considerably less.

these are the post i read in another forum......also i m not saying it won't work, i never implied that it wouldn't work . i m saying if you do it , its at a price.
SO CALM DOWN!!!

JRE320
02-06-2008, 01:00 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Section 8
[B]what the fuck are u lot on about....

mercedes enthusiast did a story on using nitrous with the 2.3K engine and it worked fine no problems everyone saying it dont work on emrcedes....mercedes make the strongest engines,,if your gonna use it get a fewopinons from people who fit it for a living

What the fuck is your problem??? :mad:
No body is saying that nitros won't work on a mercedes
it's just not worth it. :mad:

expo5.0
02-06-2008, 02:00 PM
so you installed it wrong and now say it shouldn't be done?

screw that reasoning

i want someone to tell me why they think it's less safe than forced induction? or to tell me forced induction shouldn't be done on a mercedes... take your pick.

Section 8
02-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by JRE320
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Section 8
[B]what the fuck are u lot on about....

What the fuck is your problem??? :mad:
No body is saying that nitros won't work on a mercedes
it's just not worth it. :mad:

sorry i dident mean it that way...sesative to swearing....thats just my mentality.....

JRE320
02-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Section 8
sorry i dident mean it that way...sesative to swearing....thats just my mentality.....

That's o'k mate... ;)

koepfsm
02-06-2008, 08:23 PM
ok so if i was to do it know one said if i should go with the wet or dry and i was looking into it and what about a nitrous shot to the intercooler and all on top of that i was thinking only a 50 hp shot that would only be used when took to the drag strip so now what are we looking at

koepfsm
02-06-2008, 08:31 PM
also to add to the drama isnt a c230k engine all ready a high performance engine and why couldnt hold all the pressure of the nos

c280nz
02-06-2008, 08:37 PM
it is ok to do if done right-

the risk with most off the shelf style kits is it doesnt adjust the spray+fuel to suit conditions, its just on or off dependant on throttle position(simple kits), and like mentioned if using with the standard computer there are other variables that the standard computer controls that can stuff everything,
it is hard to do and can be risky ( but not impossible to do) with standard mercedes computers.
the engines themselves will handle it aslong as enough fuel is supplied aswell.
i have no idea about the transmissions

expo5.0
02-06-2008, 09:09 PM
if i can figure out how to make the "open loop switch" that and the ESP full-off mod would both be big steps toward making this a better idea.

you could also relocate your tb- such as i have already had to do.

If you just want a 50 shot- you may be fine in open loop as is, but finding a way to be certain your adding a bit of fuel can't hurt

koepfsm
02-06-2008, 10:02 PM
so nos would be fine if i just added more fuel to the ratio

JRE320
02-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by koepfsm
ok so if i was to do it know one said if i should go with the wet or dry and i was looking into it and what about a nitrous shot to the intercooler and all on top of that i was thinking only a 50 hp shot that would only be used when took to the drag strip so now what are we looking at

Your are looking for something to waste your money or your looking for something that you don't even know what gonna happen next to your engine. Well it's up to you, it's your car and your money. Let us know the out come of your experiment.

expo5.0
02-07-2008, 09:26 AM
i'll let you know how my experiment goes as well

to the op- go snoop around on bimmerforums.com, corral.net or even the ricer forums of one kind or another and you'll find many of the answers your'e looking for. If people here are stupid (frankly there is no other reason for many of these posts) and aren't willing to learn there is no point in continuing here.

-drew

ps- i'm "silence" on corral.net and the bf.c if you run across me there

Logic
02-07-2008, 09:36 AM
well like most people say if your willing to spend your money trying this out more power to you , but going into this not knowing exactly what you are doing tells me your going to spending alot of money with trial and error and hopefully you dont jack your car up in the long run....

JRE320
02-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by expo5.0

to the op- go snoop around on bimmerforums.com, corral.net or even the ricer forums of one kind or another and you'll find many of the answers your'e looking for. If people here are stupid (frankly there is no other reason for many of these posts) and aren't willing to learn there is no point in continuing here.

-drew

Since you are knowledgeable on this topic why don't you make a write up on this matter so others might see it. So you don't have to say some us here are stupid. :rolleyes:

Logic
02-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by expo5.0

-drew

ok that makes alot of sence to go to a bmw or ricers forums to n.o.s. a mercedes? i m sure he better off not doing this and buying a honda in my eyes. if putting that in the car was common and problem free most everyone would have it. but for a daily driver your asking for problems...again this is my opinion and no 202's were hurt with this comment.

expo5.0
02-07-2008, 11:02 AM
have you read my other posts?

a lot of them are dumb and meandering- the thread that runs through most is that i'm capable of researching, learning, and executing whatever is necessary (and then relearning if that didn't work)

by no means am i some sort of actual expert in anything but custom bodywork, car audio, and cytogenetics. That said- everything i've said about nitrous thus far on the thread i DO actually know enough about to have said.

i have no access to any car other than my own in order to do some sort of a write-up- but when and if i add nitrous i will certainly include some information on this forum (as well as ask for help with the things i don't fully understand. particularly the things which pertain directly to our cars alone). This is the same as i have been and will continue to treat my hps gen I installation and all the other things i plan to do along with that (fuel system upgrades, boost cooling upgrades, gauge installations, etc. etc.).

lastly- why in the world wouldn't you go to a forum with more knowledgable people about a particular modification? nitrous doesn't work differently in mercedes motors than it does in bmw motors (although the install may be a bit different- but those changes are more or less common sense things) than it does in honda motors or anything else. The reason people haven't put nitrous on mercedes very often is that there is no reason to- people who want a fast mercedes usually just buy a faster model and/or have the money and preference to go with one of the many existing supercharger kit options available. it's an individual decision if one would prefer nitrous over a turbo or supercharger upgrade AND one that has it's own benefits over the other options.

Cru328prod
02-07-2008, 07:47 PM
hahahaha

I had nitrous on my 23k, i would whooped ass like there was no tomorrow. Anyone here will tell you I'm like the nitrous champ lol (time slips to prove it), so i won't tell you to get it or not to. Dry shot is not recommended with force induction. If you plan on having nitrous call up AAA and get a membership(this will come in handy). Don't buy a used or 2nd hand nitrous setup! Alot of stuff can go wrong, you just don't want that chance. You have to wire it to a micro switch, if you want pic's of how and were to mount it pm me. Heres some info..

Pro's
POD - Power on demand

Con's
1 your transmission won't hold up
2 to fill up a nitrous tank is about $30
3 filled up 10 pound tank is about 14 ,1/8th of a mile runs

Risk involved
Your nitrous silinod could freeze open
Blown Tranny<---to much hp of the trans to hold up
Blown Engine
Blown or leaky head gasket
Damage your MAF

one could happen, or all at once.....its risky

Ok now lets say you don't care wtf happens and you want to do it anyway. Wet shot is the way to go. Keep in mind you have to keep the ASR off, don't spray with it on. Wet shot puts a strain(among other things) on your fuel pump so a upgrade/or a new one is recommended also fuel filter, especially if your car is old. You also have to tap into your fuel line. If you've never done a nitrous setup let a professional do it. I've done it on my own, but i wouldn't recommended. Alot of wiring, drilling, and snaking wire and nitrous hose threw shit.

For a decent setup wetshot
$650 without installation

If you want to be more ballzy direct port is the best way to go
$1,200 + depending where you get it again not including installation

My car hasn't been the same since i blew the transmission. I've spent a shit load of money trying to get it running back. I pretty much conned extended warranty to cover most of it. One thing goes wrong it will cause a chain reaction you will not like. The biggest thing to keep in mind........PARTS ARE EXPENSIVE AS HELL, so is MERC Diagnostic time $100+ and hour.

If you asked me if it was worth it, no.

You can spend on pulleys, ecu, headers, and exhaust safety, then you would with the setup, and refill would do in 2 years.

The only reason why i did it was because no 1 has done it, so no1 really knew what to say. I did have a few people like omey who told me no. which i kick my self in the head for not listening, but it was good times, and a good experience. :bandit:

btw CO2 is a wasteeeeeeee of money, its the same as a nitrous setup, only difference is your not spraying in your engine, but just on your intercooler, or intake "ball". it just dropps the temp in the air tricking your MAF....you'll get like 30 hp max

Denlasoul
02-07-2008, 08:14 PM
I've known a few peeps with N20 in their MB's.