PDA

View Full Version : transmission problem - help!

IRISH_MERC
02-11-2008, 12:16 PM
My auto transmission is behaving oddly.

Every so often, it will suddenly 'surge' when changing between gears (I think it happens between 2nd and 3rd). When this happens, the car leaps forward suddenly and the rev meter jumps about 1500 rpm and back to normal again, all in about one second.

Also, occasionally when shifting from N into D at traffic lights, the transmission gets stuck in one 'long' gear and wont change until I turn off the engine and restart it, which seems to 'reset' the transmission.

The engine is also rather rough when driving below 10mph and when idle in D.

Its an 1998 C180 with 75000 miles, last serviced about 12000 miles ago.

Apart from the above, the gear changes are normal and quite smooth for 95% of the time.

Could somebody please help me!

Thanks

kameraguy
02-11-2008, 02:14 PM
That last part of your problem description sounds like the transmission is going into limp mode. You should get the trouble codes read.

I had similar experiences when it was found one of my clutch packs was failing. Hope that's not the case. Either way, you should get it checked out asap.

xvvvz
02-11-2008, 03:29 PM
A bad MAF sensor can produce these symptoms too. Lots of posts about the MAF on these forums, so read up on it.

IRISH_MERC
02-12-2008, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by kameraguy
That last part of your problem description sounds like the transmission is going into limp mode. You should get the trouble codes read.

I had similar experiences when it was found one of my clutch packs was failing. Hope that's not the case. Either way, you should get it checked out asap.

Any idea how much it costs t ofix the problem you described?

Logic
02-12-2008, 08:35 AM
when did you have you last transmission flush? also i agree about the MAF since your getting near that 100k mark usually those need to be replaced. my MAF was causing a hard shift like you said once in awhile in my car. plus my check engine light when on but that was the problem with mine.

kameraguy
02-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by IRISH_MERC
Any idea how much it costs t ofix the problem you described?

*IF* the problem is due to an internal component that requires the transmission to get pulled, it'll be a lot of money for labour alone. In my case, the total repair with parts and labour was $5300 from an independent, $7400 from the stealership.

So hopefully you aren't having these type of issues. If it's the MAF, then that's around $300 for the part.

junklar
02-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by kameraguy
In my case, the total repair with parts and labour was $5300 from an independent, $7400 from the stealership.

wow, might as well buy another 202

IRISH_MERC
02-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by IRISH_MERC
My auto transmission is behaving oddly.

Every so often, it will suddenly 'surge' when changing between gears (I think it happens between 2nd and 3rd). When this happens, the car leaps forward suddenly and the rev meter jumps about 1500 rpm and back to normal again, all in about one second.

Also, occasionally when shifting from N into D at traffic lights, the transmission gets stuck in one 'long' gear and wont change until I turn off the engine and restart it, which seems to 'reset' the transmission.

The engine is also rather rough when driving below 10mph and when idle in D.

Its an 1998 C180 with 75000 miles, last serviced about 12000 miles ago.

Apart from the above, the gear changes are normal and quite smooth for 95% of the time.

Could somebody please help me!

Thanks

Forget to mention that the engine seems a little low on power. Im starting to thing it may be related to the MAF

kameraguy
02-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by junklar
wow, might as well buy another 202

Thank GOD for extended warranty ;)

omeyhomey
02-12-2008, 10:20 PM
try a bottle of Lucas Transmission stop slip tranny fluid. It did wonders on my old S320 tranny. Add half a bottle to your current fluid see if there is any improvement. you have nothing to lose at this point.