PDA

View Full Version : maf

koepfsm
02-12-2008, 05:36 PM
my engine light came on, and i took it in and they ran a test on it and said that my maf had gone bad. Is there any way to get around the 270 dollars is there any way to clean it. need some help

kameraguy
02-12-2008, 07:08 PM
If you search the forum, cleaning the MAS or MAF (however it is referred) is discussed many times. It's not guaranteed to work, and if you aren't careful, you can damage it further.

But IMHO these things don't last forever and you should replace it to save future headaches.

Kropf
02-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by koepfsm
...Is there any way to get around the 270 dollars...
http://www.autohausaz.com/
Air Mass Sensor

(Listing your Location and your year/model in your profile would help.)

xvvvz
02-13-2008, 07:20 AM
$270 for an MAF at a dealer is a great price. Most big city dealers will charge $500-800 to diagnose and install one (good pay for 20 minutes of installation labor!)

JRE320
02-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Try Importec.com they're very reasonable. ;)
Or you can check with our source which is LPD AUTO PARTS. ;)

AirPost
02-13-2008, 04:25 PM
I have a used MAF sensor only that I can sell for cheap. It still is functional but had it replaced since I found a new sensor at a very decent price and figured I'd have the old one as a backup.

If you want to try the least expensive route first, then get a CRC MAF cleaner can from an automotive store and try cleaning the sensors first. If it doesn't work, try finding a new sensor instead of the whole unit (it is hard to find one though but sometimes it pops up in Ebay at around 1/3 to 1/2 the original price). Last option would be to get the whole MAF unit from a reputable store or straight from the dealer.

Just remember that eventhough the price is rather steep, it is worth every penny. ;)

xvvvz
02-13-2008, 07:17 PM
autohausaz.com if you want new. germanstar.net (? - or .com) if you want to just buy a sensor. Be warned that some people have had hit-or-miss with just buying the sensor part.