PDA

View Full Version : need help on a solution

C280 JR
09-19-2003, 05:53 AM
ok ever since i had my head gasket got replaced i keep hearing some vibrating noises, when i slightly step on the gas, when there is most friction....i went to the dealer twice, and he took a ride with me, but both times it did not make noises, and he told me to quit wasting his time on nothing...but when i got home it started again.....

Is there any method that i can use to pin point this problem....its just irritating hearing it, i try turning up my music louder just so that i cannot hear it

Elvir

98_Benzo
09-19-2003, 11:18 AM
You could try removing the engine cover and tightening the bolts. If that doesn't help, when does the car make this noise? Is it when the car is warmed up or cold? Do you hear the noise also when you push the gas peddle to floor? Where does the noise seem to come from (like near your shifter, the dash, the doors, or whatever)?

SLAMMED_C
09-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Do u hear the noise when ur car idles?? if so it could possibly be ur belt tensioner shock.. the bushing wears out in them and then vibrates away.
start up ur car.. pop ur hood and listen to where it comes from.. I'm not sure if ur car has the belt tensioner shock.. not all W202's did.. unless it was replaced.. then there is an updated version with the shock as part of it.
if u hear it coming from the belt tensioner shock.. get a big flat blade screw driver and just put pressure on it and see if it goes away.
worth a go!!

C280 JR
09-20-2003, 01:06 PM
the only time it makes noise is when i step on the gas from dead stop...and it makes noise, like metal being loose...thats all., but its when i do a slow start

Elvir

98_Benzo
09-20-2003, 01:48 PM
the only time it makes noise is when i step on the gas from dead stop...and it makes noise, like metal being loose...thats all., but its when i do a slow start

Is that after you have been driving for a while or just all the time (right after you start your car)? The reason I ask, is it could be your Catalytic converter, if the shit inside of it breaks, it will rattle when you give it gas. Also, where does the noise seem to be coming from (i.e. shifter boot, door, dashboard, etc.)?

C280 JR
09-20-2003, 05:25 PM
the rattling noise i really cannot pin point...that is why i am asking what i can do to figure out...to me it seems as if its actually comming form behined the dashbord, could be inside it or could be in the engine...cant tell

ELvir

98_Benzo
09-20-2003, 06:57 PM
Right, I understand that's why you posted this is cause you don't know what is wrong. All I was trying to figure out, is where about the noise sounds like it is coming from, then I could tell you even better what it is. Anyways, if it's from behind your dashboard area, check your belts (make sure not loose) and I would check your catalytic converter to do that: hit the cat with a rubber mallet (not to hard) or shake the cat, if you hear something sound loose in it, then there is your problem.

let me know what you find out!!!

hocky
09-20-2003, 07:43 PM
Mine is a 1994 C180 with 194,000kms and the rattles are coming from the front like very near to the windscreen base, but outside. I opened the hood and saw some loose wires in the engine bay which may cause the noise vibrating in sync with the engine's vibes. Tied all these up and the noise still there. Today I find 3 loose plastic covers under the windscreen end of the hood which gives access to the 2 waterjets and something else. Will tapes these down now and go for a test drive. Hope I've found the culprits. If it still rattles. The indie must have left some washer or screws loose in there or bits of the broken jets he replaced.:confused: :mad:

C280 JR
10-06-2003, 12:10 PM
i finally figured it out, i know why my car made the annoying noise....well just a minute ago, i was checking the front brakes on my car, cause im planning on replacing them soon, and i notice some plastic sticking out from the brake calipers, i tuch it and its loose....hmmmm...i take off my wheel, and take a look at the brake caliper and this plastic piece that is attached to the caliper is loose, and that is the same piece that i guess is somehow connected to the white whire which is the sensor for the brakes.(????) anyway, it has only one scew that at attaches itself to the brake caliper and i scew it on...put the wheel back in its plase, and test drive it, and the noise is gone...:) :) :) :bunny:

Elvir