PDA

View Full Version : Redline Water Wetter, anyone use?

kameraguy
09-19-2003, 10:53 AM
I put some in, and haven't noticed anything really.

Anyone use this too? Anyone notice any diff?

pnsji
09-19-2003, 12:06 PM
I use this with my previous Honda and BMW. It does help in those cases. I have not use them with my Mercedes yet, but I think it should work especially at traffic jam.

kameraguy
09-19-2003, 12:14 PM
I dunno if the temp guage is the best way to see any differences, but after adding it to my coolant, I have not noticed any difference thus far. Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me, but it seems my temp guage is at times higher than what i recall prior to adding the stuff!

Maybe I should not have added it directly to the existing coolant?

Renn 208
09-19-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by kameraguy

Maybe I should not have added it directly to the existing coolant?

I don't think that'll matter so much as it all gets mixed together in the circuit anyway.

If anything though, I would expect to see differences (if any) under stress loads...just like pnsji said.

nokia8860
09-19-2003, 02:01 PM
70/30 is what i run with ww

J Irwan
09-19-2003, 02:06 PM
Funny thing is that after I have my coolant flush,

the engine temp seem to be higher than how it usually used to be..

I remember Susanto keep asking me about my operating engine temp, and I always have the temp much lower never exceed 80
even in traffic jam.

but now it can reach 90 at traffic jam.

Now, I know that you have to mix this water wetter with water
20% collant.

How does one go about doing that
do you put water in a container then mix the water wetter solution and the collant to the correct ratio..

if you do this, I'd like to want out exactly how much gallon/qrt does our car hold this ;)

Regardz,

nokia8860
09-19-2003, 02:22 PM
air bubbles in the cooling system will increase operating temps. you could actually get one caught on the thermostat and have it read really high numbers. (ok ok i got that watching some tv but still sounds like it could happen)

I do more of a backyard mixture. After flushing I open up a gallon of distilled water and pour it in with ww. Usally cars can take up to 2ish gallons of fluids.

So using this. I then crack open another bottle of distilled water and add around 1/4-1/2 then pour in coolant.

I use sierra only cuz im a sucker for advertisment. I'll pour it in till i cant pour no more close it then turn on the car with the heater.

After watching the coolant level drop I let the car cool and discharge presure then continue with coolant but I watch how much of that 1 bottle I use. If its going too much I add the rest of the water.

Not exact, but as exact as my butt will ever get.

kameraguy
09-19-2003, 02:31 PM
Come to think of it, my car seems to run a tad "hotter" after i got my coolant flushed, which was about three months ago. I too never recalled my car runing this hot before. At the most, never more than 85 on a hot day....but now, even while crusing on the freeway, it's like 83-ish, and when I stop it's like 85 or 87-ish.

So i add the WW and I really don't see any diff.

So maybe for my situation WW isn't going to help...but I wonder if that coolant flush negatively affected my car???

J Irwan
09-19-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by kameraguy
Come to think of it, my car seems to run a tad "hotter" after i got my coolant flushed, which was about three months ago. I too never recalled my car runing this hot before. At the most, never more than 85 on a hot day....but now, even while crusing on the freeway, it's like 83-ish, and when I stop it's like 85 or 87-ish.

So i add the WW and I really don't see any diff.

So maybe for my situation WW isn't going to help...but I wonder if that coolant flush negatively affected my car???

Kam
coolant flush is always good ;)

I wonder if the previous owner of my car actually used something else to keep the temp down.
I had my coolant flush last time when I have to replace the AC condensor .. (which I think roughly 2 months ago)

Regardz,

marksbenz
09-19-2003, 05:44 PM
Yo Kam what kinda coolant they use and what mixture? Using other than Mercedes coolant is bad for Mercedes cars. I only use Mercedes coolant or Zerex. And check your thermostat too. I put 40 percent coolant and 60 percent water then Red Line water wetter.

Koolvin
09-19-2003, 10:08 PM
I use water wetter

714guy
09-20-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by J Irwan
Funny thing is that after I have my coolant flush,

the engine temp seem to be higher than how it usually used to be..

I remember Susanto keep asking me about my operating engine temp, and I always have the temp much lower never exceed 80
even in traffic jam.

but now it can reach 90 at traffic jam.

Now, I know that you have to mix this water wetter with water
20% collant.

How does one go about doing that
do you put water in a container then mix the water wetter solution and the collant to the correct ratio..

if you do this, I'd like to want out exactly how much gallon/qrt does our car hold this ;)

Regardz,

I am haven the exact same problem too, i just changed the thermostat and flushed it and it's still a tid bit lower than 90.
My friend says i show try to let aire out of the system but i dont know how.

Renn 208
09-20-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by 714guy

My friend says i show try to let aire out of the system but i dont know how.

right after you add coolant and water, run your engine with the coolant cap off and the defroster on. you can then watch the coolant tank burp a few times within 5 min or so. replace the cap, drive around for a bit, and check your coolant level. if it has gone down, the system has burped some more and you may need to add more coolant. no movement? then you're all good

nokia8860
09-20-2003, 08:39 AM
Hahahaha I would do this just to put in the correct level of coolant and to watch it bubble. Didnt know thats how the air got out!!

Recaro18
09-21-2003, 12:11 AM
my car runs hot all the time....on a hot day, freeway driving 95-100...stuck in traffic, 110......i always get paranoid...scarry to see that needle almost on the red-zone...called MB, they said its normal on my year/model....i change my thermostat to the lowest temp, so it opens sooner....still runs way hot....

had a coolant flush, same thing, no difference......i was thinking of using the redline ww, but not sure if it will do any good.....

Renn 208
09-21-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Recaro18
my car runs hot all the time....on a hot day, freeway driving 95-100...stuck in traffic, 110......i always get paranoid...scarry to see that needle almost on the red-zone...called MB, they said its normal on my year/model....i change my thermostat to the lowest temp, so it opens sooner....still runs way hot....

had a coolant flush, same thing, no difference......i was thinking of using the redline ww, but not sure if it will do any good.....

do your temps drop in traffic if you turn on the defroster?

kameraguy
09-22-2003, 01:51 PM
Well, the coolant i'm using is what ever the dealership uses, as that's who changed my coolant three months ago. So when I said to change my coolant, I take it they DON'T automatically flush? Because I was under the impression they did, but for whatever reason it seems my car runs hotter than before.

I supose I can take it back. i hope they won't charge me to have a look :/

Recaro18
09-25-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Renn 208
do your temps drop in traffic if you turn on the defroster?

yeah, well...10 degrees at most....

Hank
09-25-2003, 01:18 PM
I run 1 bottle WW, the rest w/ distilled water. No coolant.

(in my Turbo GS-R)

nokia8860
09-25-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Hank
I run 1 bottle WW, the rest w/ distilled water. No coolant.

(in my Turbo GS-R)

hard core!! the way it should be ran. now what do you do about corrosion?

kameraguy
09-25-2003, 01:58 PM
I would imagine he has to drain out the WW/distilled water when not in use???

Hank
09-25-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by nokia8860
hard core!! the way it should be ran. now what do you do about corrosion?

LOL.. good question. :p