PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine... Please LOOK**

C230KSPORT00
02-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Hey guys. My check engine light came on the other day while I was driving and stayed on. My gas cap wasnt open. So I took it to an authorized Mercedes shop. I have good experience here, they gave me some good prices on tires and they serviced my car at 76k. They tried to explain to be what was wrong but I didn't really understand, all I know is that its something with Tranny Shift Module. Here are the part numbers and prices they would charge me. 1402700861 $285 plus 2022670824 $488 plus $225 for 2 1/2 hours of labor. It all comes out to be just under $1,000. The guy said its some what of a serious problem because eventually the car wont start because it will think its in 1st or 2nd gear. I really dont understand whats going on so I thought I just run it by you guys. So if you could just look into this and help me out (AGAIN) I would really appreciate it. Thanks! :D

alphanumeric
02-20-2008, 07:55 PM
that sux, i have basically the same car as you but mine has 125k + miles and my transmission has zero problems so far. and I drive my car hard too. only while the car is rolling though. I try hard not to fuck with the transmission or stomp on it while the car is at a full stop.

have u been doing any breakstands or anything that could cause the problem? or do u drive your benz like a granny haha

C230KSPORT00
02-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Yea actually I have been doing alittle more racing lately. Actually about two days before the Check engine light came I drove it pretty hard, raced a couple of my freinds. Crap! Could this have really cause this problem?!?! :confused:

Kropf
02-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by C230KSPORT00
Hey guys. My check engine light came on the other day while I was driving and stayed on. ...
Please tell us the fault Codes. Maybe the dealer will tell them to you.
If you don't have a Climate Control where you can read the codes (http://kropf.net/w202/#CCerrs), maybe you can get them displayed at an AutoZone or similar store.

C230KSPORT00
02-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Kropf
Please tell us the fault Codes. Maybe the dealer will tell them to you.
If you don't have a Climate Control where you can read the codes (http://kropf.net/w202/#CCerrs), maybe you can get them displayed at an AutoZone or similar store. Man thats pretty cool. I wish I had Auto climate control. I never knew you could do that... Ok well this morning when I started my car the CEL is gone! and has yet to come back on! What does this mean?!?! :confused:

mr. gatsbury
02-22-2009, 06:20 PM
My check engine light just came on. I had my car idle outside of my mothers house to warm up before I left. When I got in the car the light was on. Seems to be running fine. I saw this post and checked out the link but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Which one would I use to see what the error code for the engine light is? What does the code look like, numbers (how many), letters and numbers? I also noticed the last time I had the oil changed there was this yellow/white snot on the inside of the oil cap. What do you think that's all about, related? I asked someone and they said it was most likely that the oil was mixing with water or something along those lines. Any help is appreciated.

nhmercracer
02-24-2009, 07:02 AM
Letting a higher mileage car idle for long periods can damage the O2 sensors. Most of the discount car parts stores can pull the codes for you. Hopefully just a sensor you can replace inexpensively.

timmyj51
02-24-2009, 09:48 AM
EVERYONE should invest in one of these little hand-held code
readers. Can find 'em on the web for fifty bucks. Mechanics
are gonna be ripping you off right and left unless you can
read, and erase, the codes yourself. Just to give you
an example: before I bought my own code reader went to Autozone to have my fault codes read. But they wouldn't erase them, told me it was against the law! How's that for a con job!

JRE320
02-24-2009, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by timmyj51
[B]EVERYONE should invest in one of these little hand-held code
readers. Can find 'em on the web for fifty bucks. Mechanics
are gonna be ripping you off right and left unless you can
read, and erase, the codes yourself. Just to give you
an example: before I bought my own code reader went to Autozone to have my fault codes read. But they wouldn't erase them, told me it was against the law! How's that for a con job!

That's not a con job. Autozone did it for you for free right? so don't say that it's a con job. If you wanted your code to be erased, then go your mercedes shop.
they will erased it for you and you will be charge as usually.

xvvvz
02-24-2009, 11:27 AM
>>ellow/white snot on the inside of the oil cap. <<

Discussed here a number of times. It is probably just condensation from too many short trips and idling. Drive your car at constant highway speeds for 30 miles and it will be gone.

xvvvz
02-24-2009, 11:28 AM
>>they will erased it for you and you will be charge as usually.<<

Or disconnect your battery for 30 seconds and do it for free...

timmyj51
02-25-2009, 03:51 PM
"That's not a con job. Autozone did it for you for free right? so don't say that it's a con job."

It's a con job if they're telling you it's against the law
to erase it.

Denlasoul
02-25-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by timmyj51
It's a con job if they're telling you it's against the law to erase it.
Not if the codes have to do with Emissions.

timmyj51
02-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Show me the specific law--section, paragraph, and line--anywhere
that says that.

JRE320
02-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Show us the paragraph that show that autozone is doing a con job for not erasing your codes. :mad:
Anyway how old are you? Do you have you're licensed yet? :p

timmyj51
02-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by JRE320
Show us the paragraph that show that autozone is doing a con job for not erasing your codes. :mad:
Anyway how old are you? Do you have you're licensed yet? :p

I see someone never learned how to pay attention in second
grade. I said Autozone's conning people by telling them
they can't erase their codes because it's against the law.
Tell 'em the truth: Autozone won't erase the codes cause they
want you to buy overpiced scanners from 'em. Just like they
read the codes "for free" to get you buy repair parts from 'em. End of discussion. Get you GED.

JRE320
02-26-2009, 06:49 PM
I see someone never learned how to pay attention in second
grade. I said Autozone's conning people by telling them
they can't erase their codes because it's against the law.
Tell 'em the truth: Autozone won't erase the codes cause they
want you to buy overpiced scanners from 'em. Just like they
read the codes "for free" to get you buy repair parts from 'em. End of discussion. Get you GED.

o'k you win! ha!ha!ha! I got my 2 grade degree from you. :o :rolleyes:

mr. gatsbury
02-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by xvvvz
>>ellow/white snot on the inside of the oil cap. <<

Discussed here a number of times. It is probably just condensation from too many short trips and idling. Drive your car at constant highway speeds for 30 miles and it will be gone.

Here's the crazy thing. A mechanic told me the same thing but I drive 4 highways and two bridges to get to work everyday at speeds on average of 70-80 miles an hour. Short trips are definately not a part of my everyday life. So my light is still on and the car seems fine. Again with the code reader. Is there a code guide or something? How will I know what codes are what? If there isn't anything wrong there won't be any codes showing up, right?

Denlasoul
02-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Show me the specific law--section, paragraph, and line--anywhere
that says that.

Link to SEMA regarding CEL and bypassing them. (http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?id=57922)

So, the stores are probably covering their asses as stuff like Emmisions and O2 sensors fall under EPA's blanket.

timmyj51
02-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
Link to SEMA regarding CEL and bypassing them. (http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?id=57922)

So, the stores are probably covering their asses as stuff like Emmisions and O2 sensors fall under EPA's blanket.

Doubt it. This only has to do with a device you install. Besides,
what if it's not an emissions related fault code? What excuse
do they have then?

JRE320
03-01-2009, 08:15 AM
they don't have any excuses. just don't go to autozone anymore. beside they
don't make any on money you. :p :p