PDA

View Full Version : Ignition key problems

mazdalowandslow
02-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Basically whats going on with my car is i incert the Smart key, and the car wont unlock the ignition and steering wheel. I have to put the key in and out a few times before it reconizes the key. Is this a eis problem or smart key problem. Mind that i just put new batterys in the key, and the keyless entery works fine. Has anyone had these problems? What did it cost for repair? and what had to be repaired? I did a serch and didnt find any posts with the same symptoms.

stevodotorg
02-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by mazdalowandslow
Basically whats going on with my car is i incert the Smart key, and the car wont unlock the ignition and steering wheel. I have to put the key in and out a few times before it reconizes the key. Is this a eis problem or smart key problem. Mind that i just put new batterys in the key, and the keyless entery works fine. Has anyone had these problems? What did it cost for repair? and what had to be repaired? I did a serch and didnt find any posts with the same symptoms.
I have this problem too and it is pretty annoying, I don't think its the key, I personally think it is the ignition, but I clearly cannot confirm this, if anyone happens to have any insight, please let us know.

jnolte
02-22-2008, 02:03 AM
maybe key most likley eis

adamsry
02-22-2008, 04:41 AM
The first thing i would check is a spare key if you have one and see if your able to reproduce the problem with it. The Tip of the Mercedes keys are IR similar to a remote control i know that time and use can scratch the clear plastic up and may have difficulty. One way to verify this is using the key window roll up roll down feature this to my understanding only works via IR if it works then you may have other ignition related issues. Just pray you don't need a new ignition lock as those bad boys will set you back a grand or better. You might be able to take a qTip and clean the receiver eye in the ignition lock as well just to make sure no debris is on the lens.

mazdalowandslow
02-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Good to know, I will try that out. I wish I had a spair key for the car, but unforntually I don't.

SLAMMED_C
02-22-2008, 05:49 PM
I believe this is a common problem with the w202 and the EIS (smart key) and the way to fix this is to put the key in and out of the ignition 10 time. I have had this problem with my car as well. i did that trick and so far it hasnt done it again since.. knock on wood!! so try that and see what happens. if it doesnt fix the problem im going to guess the EIS is faulty itself.. too bad you dont have a spare key to test it out with a different key. but try that trick first before diagnosing any more. see if you can get your car scanned for codes, you may have a stored code in EIS that can direct you further.

stevodotorg
02-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
I believe this is a common problem with the w202 and the EIS (smart key) and the way to fix this is to put the key in and out of the ignition 10 time. I have had this problem with my car as well. i did that trick and so far it hasnt done it again since.. knock on wood!! so try that and see what happens. if it doesnt fix the problem im going to guess the EIS is faulty itself.. too bad you dont have a spare key to test it out with a different key. but try that trick first before diagnosing any more. see if you can get your car scanned for codes, you may have a stored code in EIS that can direct you further.

Well see, I wasn't being very elaborate with my reply, my problem is that I stick the key in and I have to twist the key to the left against the plastic and then it unlocks and then I can turn the key to the right to start the car, did I forget to mention that I can take the key out of the ignition hole after the car has started?

Basically, I'm pretty sure I need a new ignition key hole mechanism, anyone know where I can get one?

adamsry
02-23-2008, 04:49 AM
That is a dealer only part and i believe that once they have been coded it is irreversible meaning your pretty much skrewed. When you get a new ignition assembly they come with this orange key fob thing that tells the ignition to program to the next key inserted it is not one of those items you can snatch of a wrecked car and put in yours and have it work. That is my understanding.

SLAMMED_C
02-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by stevodotorg
Well see, I wasn't being very elaborate with my reply, my problem is that I stick the key in and I have to twist the key to the left against the plastic and then it unlocks and then I can turn the key to the right to start the car, did I forget to mention that I can take the key out of the ignition hole after the car has started?

Basically, I'm pretty sure I need a new ignition key hole mechanism, anyone know where I can get one?
okay!!.. well i think you need a new EIS then.
and its called a workshop key (green key) which is placed into the newly replaced EIS to download all the info to the new EIS that was in the old EIS. then after your key will be recognized in the ignition and authorize a start.

stevodotorg
02-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
okay!!.. well i think you need a new EIS then.
and its called a workshop key (green key) which is placed into the newly replaced EIS to download all the info to the new EIS that was in the old EIS. then after your key will be recognized in the ignition and authorize a start.

How much do you think this will run me? pretty easy to install?

mazdalowandslow
06-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Solved with a new key! Thanks for the help guys!