PDA

View Full Version : Awesome audio wiring shortcut (non-bose)

iwhocorrupts
03-10-2008, 11:33 PM
I rewired my system today and I figured out the one of the biggest shortcuts ever.

Originally I had 4 speaker wires going from my amp in the trunk to the dashboard, now I have zero...

Our cars (and most others) have speaker wire going from the dashboard to the rear deck, and then from the deck paralleled to the rear doors.

So I began by connecting the rear deck speakers directly to my infinity amp thats in the trunk. Now there are 2 wires that go from the rear deck to the rear doors, so I wired those into the rear deck speakers as well (parallel).

Now you have a + and - wire left over at the rear deck for each speaker that goes up to the head unit, and you need to get your front speakers to work... I hooked up my the front output on my amp to those remaining +/- at the rear deck, then went to the dash and connected the +/- leads from the rear deck to the +/- leads that go to the front speakers.

Now everything works perfectly and sounds more clear than ever because stock wiring is routed strategically to minimize engine noise/interference. Not to mention I have 4 less wires running across my car. Hope that made sense.

-Mark

Proven Guilty
03-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Nice find. I'm half-tempted to photoshop a diagram of the wiring fnd you've discovered as a rough schematic to see if I understand correctly.

I've still gotta trace the wiring in my W208 with bose to keep it 4 channel as well. Im upgrading the front door speakers to kickpod locations, so I've got a little more i'll probably need to do. I'm trying to keep it all at 2ohm load so if I can series wire all 8 speakers to 4 ohm f+r stereo, should be good to go.

What I'll probably end up doing is disconnecting the from door speakers altogether and back-wire to the kickpod locations on the floor by splicing into the speaker wire feed that goes into the door in the first place (and just safely wrap up the speaker wires in the doors so they dont ground out to any metal).

As far as I know, the W202s and W208s all had wiring for bose amps and cd changers, regardless if the cars had the options from the factory or not. This way with the wiring already pulled through the loom at the time of production assembly, it would make it tremendously easier for upgrading options for the dealership at the time of sale.

Anyone care to chime in and confirm/deny my theory?