View Full Version : w202 air bags anyone?

notty800
03-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Anybody in the club have air bags set-up just like this one on you tube.?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLO1mo_reXw

hvmercy
03-14-2008, 09:59 PM
OCKlasse is bagged.

notty800
03-14-2008, 10:00 PM
OCKlasse is not bagged. he has hydraulics

OCKlasse
03-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Looks like he gets about as low as me up front, but is about 2" higher than me in the rear.

03-15-2008, 01:06 AM
:eek: I LIKE IT..
make me want to get one too.. :rolleyes:
oh well... Next mod AirBag :D

btw the one on the video is it bagged or hydros? sorry noobs :D
the movements are pretty quick.

Blitzen99
03-15-2008, 07:00 AM
I have a bagged Toyota tacoma, does that count?

mr_ace5288
03-15-2008, 07:06 AM
how much would a set like this cost?

OCKlasse
03-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by 515
:eek: I LIKE IT..
make me want to get one too.. :rolleyes:
oh well... Next mod AirBag :D

btw the one on the video is it bagged or hydros? sorry noobs :D
the movements are pretty quick.

It's bags,

This is hydraulics:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_1cnWC8NkJ0&feature=related

OCKlasse
03-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by mr_ace5288
how much would a set like this cost?

"More than you can afford, pal"

LOL

Everything for me brand new was just under $2,000.

expo5.0
03-15-2008, 08:40 AM
i have a bagged ride too-

yusuke280
03-15-2008, 09:27 AM
do these bagged cars handle well?

hvmercy
03-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by notty800
OCKlasse is not bagged. he has hydraulics

Read his post on the member's gallery

OCKlasse
03-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by yusuke280
do these bagged cars handle well?

not really made for handling.

My car (hydraulics) rides great! Very soft and cushy.

expo5.0
03-16-2008, 07:08 AM
either can be set up for handling etc.

I think hte general consensus and my experience is that bags usually ride softer and handle better- but like anything customs it's all in how it's done

OCKlasse
03-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by expo5.0
either can be set up for handling etc.

I think hte general consensus and my experience is that bags usually ride softer and handle better- but like anything customs it's all in how it's done

Bags ride softer if one does not have accumulators with hydraulics. I would not say hydraulics can be set up for handling, considering you are adding around 300 pounds of equipment to the trunk ;)

04-13-2008, 08:59 AM
any guru out there that know about w202 airbag set up? :)
I'm doing a custom air set up & having trouble making the rite bracket that hold the bag. I need detail pics of the bracket. how they look like, shape, sizes & where do they sit exactly on the control arm. (a Pictures to show will be great help)

Not having a professional mechanic around my area making it worse so I ended up making a custom bracket my self & do all the install with my friends, in the end bracket turn out to be all wrong :( the bag doesn't have any clearance at all and it rub everywhere. :bored: I know there are some cutting involve to create more space, but is it safe?

all the other set up is done, except for these bracket. been stuck for few days now :bored:, trying to figure out how to make it fit and how a correct bracket look like front & rear?

I tried searching the net, but no details pictures provided, only a finish set up of the car.

So anyone.. some help please.. ;)

OCKlasse
04-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by 515
any guru out there that know about w202 airbag set up? :)
I'm doing a custom air set up & having trouble making the rite bracket that hold the bag. I need detail pics of the bracket. how they look like, shape, sizes & where do they sit exactly on the control arm. (a Pictures to show will be great help)

Not having a professional mechanic around my area making it worse so I ended up making a custom bracket my self & do all the install with my friends, in the end bracket turn out to be all wrong :( the bag doesn't have any clearance at all and it rub everywhere. :bored: I know there are some cutting involve to create more space, but is it safe?

all the other set up is done, except for these bracket. been stuck for few days now :bored:, trying to figure out how to make it fit and how a correct bracket look like front & rear?

I tried searching the net, but no details pictures provided, only a finish set up of the car.

So anyone.. some help please.. ;)

Prob is lack of room. I hope you're using 1500 pound bags, and even then, you won't be able to fit shocks up front.

04-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by OCKlasse
Prob is lack of room. I hope you're using 1500 pound bags, and even then, you won't be able to fit shocks up front.

yup, No prob on the bag. the prob is on the bracket. the front shock is clear but the inner side is rubbing to the bag. I know there is a cutting involve, but is it safe??
I'm not too sure how much do I need to cut. but to really make room for the bag, the chassis beam will need to be slightly cut.
is this how they do it?

And then the rear got even worse, there is only a very small gap between the bag and the driveshaft. I know this can be solve by raising the bracket. but it will only make the car higher. and I don't want that. :(

OCKlasse
04-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by 515
yup, No prob on the bag. the prob is on the bracket. the front shock is clear but the inner side is rubbing to the bag. I know there is a cutting involve, but is it safe??
I'm not too sure how much do I need to cut. but to really make room for the bag, the chassis beam will need to be slightly cut.
is this how they do it?

And then the rear got even worse, there is only a very small gap between the bag and the driveshaft. I know this can be solve by raising the bracket. but it will only make the car higher. and I don't want that. :(

This is why I did hydraulics man. Too much hassle with bags, and you still won't go as low as me.

04-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by OCKlasse
This is why I did hydraulics man. Too much hassle with bags, and you still won't go as low as me.

I know man... if i know i would go through all these trouble, i won't go bag. :(
but seeing many have done bag at vipstylecar forums. they make it seem soo easy. but mine turn out to be a total disaster :bored: prob they're all pro player.
Oh well I made it half way already, might as well go all the way..
BAG set up = STRESSSS... :confused:
I will prob post a new thread on suspension tuning section to get more help.

OCKlasse
04-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by 515
I know man... if i know i would go through all these trouble, i won't go bag. :(
but seeing many have done bag at vipstylecar forums. they make it seem soo easy. but mine turn out to be a total disaster :bored: prob they're all pro player.
Oh well I made it half way already, might as well go all the way..
BAG set up = STRESSSS... :confused:
I will prob post a new thread on suspension tuning section to get more help.

The reason their setups are so easy is because most of those guys are running MacPherson suspensions, essentially just a strut bag up front.

livin503
01-18-2009, 04:42 PM
515, I see that you have gotten your car bagged now... did you ever find a bracket picture or info? if not would you be willing to fill me in on some details or pictures of the bracket placement... im basically in the exact same situation you were in when you made this thread so im hoping youll be able to help me out?

Also... ocklass... what all did you have to do for the hydro setup.... did you just have to replace the shocks with the hydro cylindars? what else was needed to do? any cutting or extra mounts needed? Also my only "potential" disappointment with juice over bags is that there is no gauges to determine if you are level or what ride height you are at.. what did you do to solve this or has it even become a problem for you?

I have parts for an air ride setup and parts for a juice set up... now i just need help deciding which direction to go...

thanks

OCKlasse
01-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Also... ocklass... what all did you have to do for the hydro setup.... did you just have to replace the shocks with the hydro cylindars? what else was needed to do? any cutting or extra mounts needed? Also my only "potential" disappointment with juice over bags is that there is no gauges to determine if you are level or what ride height you are at.. what did you do to solve this or has it even become a problem for you?

I have parts for an air ride setup and parts for a juice set up... now i just need help deciding which direction to go...

thanks [/B]

The shocks were replaced by the hydraulic cylinder, which is bolted to a heim joint on the bottom. The shock tower had to be drilled a little larger, but that is the only non bolt-in part of the setup. Some pics of my new setup to get you to go with the better of the two :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/trefive/New%20Setup/713a48c7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/trefive/New%20Setup/b2cb42a5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/trefive/New%20Setup/509c9a56.jpg

livin503
01-19-2009, 06:46 PM
thanks OC... do you have any pictures laying around of your cylinders mounted in the shock mounts?

OCKlasse
01-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by livin503
thanks OC... do you have any pictures laying around of your cylinders mounted in the shock mounts?

I don't, but I also had a pipe spacer made that goes around the cylinder to prevent it from shooting through the tower.

expo5.0
02-08-2009, 09:06 PM
got pics of where you were trying to put the bags/did put the bags? I"m a bit confused actually.