PDA

View Full Version : A/C Compressor Troubles:Help Diagnose

Highhpta
03-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Don't know for sure if I need to bite the bullet and have my compressor replaced. Problem is for the majority of the time my ac compressor doesn't kick on and it doesn't blow cold air. The only way to get it to work is by staying in park or idleing the car for a couple minutes. I'm guessing not putting any extra strain on the motor. Because when it does start working it blows ice cold air, but if I accelerate hard it will stop working again. I have had the duo valve replaced, and it isn't low on freon. I'm guessing the compressor might just be faulty but not completly dead since it does still work just very tempermental. I know I can get a brand new compressor off ebay for around $300 but would I be able to install it or would any place install the compressor if I brought it too them? Any help with my situation would be appreciated. Need to get this fixed before the Texas heat.

xvvvz
03-15-2008, 05:59 PM
$300 is really cheap. That must be a rebuilt one vs. new. Does it come with a good warranty? Most sellers of compressors will not guarantee the compressor unless it is installed by a qualified shop and the shop must install a new drier and flush the system to remove any probable sharpnel created by a compressor going bad.

Are you sure the procedure to measure the refrigerant level was correct?

Highhpta
03-16-2008, 06:43 AM
I'm sure the the freon is good because this has been going on for the past year now, and it still blows ice cold when it does want to work. The compressor comes with a 6 mo. warranty and of couse needs to be installed by a professional. But will a professional actually install this part if I bring it to them? Here is a link to the part
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Mercedes-C230-C280-CLK320-A-C-COMPRESSOR-NEW-KIT_W0QQitemZ250157220134QQihZ015QQcategoryZ33543Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQ cmdZViewItem.

junklar
03-16-2008, 06:51 AM
Of course a professional would install it. They are still making money.

adamsry
03-17-2008, 06:52 AM
On the back of the compressor there is a sensor that picks up the rotational speed when it is engaged i have heard that if these fail the ECU gets incorrect data and then the clutch will not engage correctly. If the clutch is engaging intermittently i would look at this as a potential area to look at when compressors fail they die they don't limp along. Also if a system has been over charged with refrigerant it will dis engage the clutch to prevent over pressurizing the system. This applies to all 202 models. My 2000 car when i do a kick down the compressor disengages to temporarily to provide additional power in the car. Depending on your climate control system im assuming that you have Digital there is a way to access the diagnostic system and see the temp readings pressure and compressor rotational speed u might check that out before u tear you system open. Always remember when you open a AC system you must also replace the receiver dryer otherwise the new compressor will fail due to moisture in the condensing lines.

Highhpta
03-17-2008, 02:54 PM
When I took it to the Stealership they also said it was the compressor. Of course I can't believe everything they say. What is the sensor on the compressor called so I can see how much it would be to buy a new one. Is that something I could easily just swap out myself or would that cause the system to need to be flushed and refilled?

adamsry
03-18-2008, 07:03 AM
Im not sure where you can get the sensor by it's self but it is located in the back of the compressor housing. I believe the back side of the compressor is sealed so u don't have to de pressurize the system but i cant confirm this. The compressor that our cars use is a Nippondenzo and these are widely used across many autos the compressor in a dodge neon is the same as the one in out merc aside from the pully/ clutch assembly. I thought i had a failing Compressor at one time as well and this was my discovery from research.

adamsry
03-18-2008, 07:05 AM
NIPPONDENSO 7SBU16C