PDA

View Full Version : 87k mile service

C230KSPORT00
03-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Hey guys. I have 87,753 miles. And I am due for a service. My FSS indicator now has -100 miles. My question is, is what are the neccessary services that I need to be doing. Cause my dad wants to do the services himself instead of paying the stealership. Mind you that I had my oil changed at around 76,600 miles. Thanks again guys :D

lamf
03-21-2008, 06:21 PM
change your oil! steering dampener, check the flex disc, check the ball joints, spark plugs if they havent been changed yet, fuel filter, the list goes on

jabu
03-21-2008, 07:45 PM
here is what i did for mine...

-oil change(filter and Mobil 1 0w40 oil)
- coolant flush
- 2 transmission dump and fills(didn't know if it was ever replaced, replaced the transmission filter on the second dump after a short drive and pan gasket)
-replaced fuel filter
-drain and fill of rear diff(IT WAS NEVER CHANGED BEFORE!!! 104k KM on original fluid. it was black as night. drianed and filled with cheep 75w90 gear oil first, drove around for a bit, drained and filled with BG 75w90 super gear fluid)

using genuine mercedes stuff at cost, the service ran me 400 bucks just for parts.

Logic
03-22-2008, 08:43 AM
you went 9 k since the last oil change? 6 k max even on synthectic oil. even tho mercedes say alot of people go 10k i think thats way too long especially if you want that engine to last you 200 k.

xvvvz
03-22-2008, 09:52 AM
There was a study posted at bobistheoilguy.com that showed results of a study that tested synthetic oils and their effectivness over time. The site has changed and my link is no longer valid but the bottom line was that synthetics were definitely fine for 10k miles (and more depending on conditions) as long as you were using a high quality filter and you had consistently been using synthetic. It was just a waste to change the oil earlier when it wasn't necessary.

timmyj51
03-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Had your car for 87K and still don't know what
you have to do to maintain it! I swear, they
outta pass a law that anyone who buys a car
also be required to buy the appropriate Haynes manuel (or equivalent). Will tell your pop what to do, when to do it, and how to
do it.

C230KSPORT00
03-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by timmyj51
Had your car for 87K and still don't know what
you have to do to maintain it! I swear, they
outta pass a law that anyone who buys a car
also be required to buy the appropriate Haynes manuel (or equivalent). Will tell your pop what to do, when to do it, and how to
do it. Uh I got my car at 76k miles. Tell me more of this "Haynes Manual"...

RemoLexi
03-22-2008, 08:08 PM
do what i did with the altima ... drive until stuff falls off or causes it hard to drive then fix those problems in the cheapest ways possible and keep driving til more stuff falls off. you would really get your moneys worth . :D

C230KSPORT00
03-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by RemoLexi
do what i did with the altima ... drive until stuff falls off or causes it hard to drive then fix those problems in the cheapest ways possible and keep driving til more stuff falls off. you would really get your moneys worth . :D Lol I think everyone should take up this way of servicing. lmao not... :D

C230KSPORT00
03-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Ok guys. What else should I be doin besides all of this stuff? Thanks :cool:

anf6789
03-23-2008, 07:23 PM
cabin filter, engine air filter, check tires, lubricate doors etc...

timmyj51
03-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by RemoLexi
do what i did with the altima ... drive until stuff falls off or causes it hard to drive then fix those problems in the cheapest ways possible and keep driving til more stuff falls off. you would really get your moneys worth . :D

Music to a mechanic's ears! While you're at it write into your last
will and last testament: "I hereby deed over everything I've ever
worked for to my mechanic."