PDA

View Full Version : Where's the brake light switch?

alpine951
03-23-2008, 04:10 PM
The BAS ABS lights are on on my wifes 89 C230. I have seen on here and elsewhere it may be the brake light switch. I took a quick look under the pedals today but there is some plastic panels under there. I am assumming I have to get on my back under there and remove some of those panels and the swtich is going to be up there behind the brake pedal. Is this correct?

JRE320
03-23-2008, 05:18 PM
That's right.

kowalski
04-02-2008, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by alpine951
The BAS ABS lights are on on my wifes 89 C230. I have seen on here and elsewhere it may be the brake light switch. I took a quick look under the pedals today but there is some plastic panels under there. I am assumming I have to get on my back under there and remove some of those panels and the swtich is going to be up there behind the brake pedal. Is this correct?

hey buddy I just had mine replaced today on Wednesday, small piece of shit plastic part that brakes freequently. Buy some extra to have at home, they are cheap.

RemoLexi
04-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Yes thats correct it is under the brake pedal but you may have to remove the under dash cover to access this little switch.

kowalski
04-04-2008, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by kowalski
hey buddy I just had mine replaced today on Wednesday, small piece of shit plastic part that brakes freequently. Buy some extra to have at home, they are cheap.

hello again yesterday i went for a drive,everything was fine, and then the freeking hazard lights came back, for BAS/ESP AND ABS, i went back to the shop and the mechanic hooked it up to the computer and there it was a fawlty brake light switch, this one was replaced the day before with a new one, he cleared the code and i went for a drive, then these hazards never came back.

Why did they even light up the next day after changing to a new one=?

Also can you fellow c43 brothers check your engine compartment for the BAS option, if it's available on your cars, i have this on the cluster as a warning light BAS/ESP but the mechanic say i don't have the sensor in the engine room under the breakfluid box,my car is a late buildt 98 meaning as a 99 car

xvvvz
04-04-2008, 03:58 PM
>>i don't have the sensor in the engine room under the breakfluid box<<

Are you talking about the yaw rate sensor for the ESP? If so, isn't that in the trunk near the spare tire?

kowalski
04-07-2008, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by xvvvz
>>i don't have the sensor in the engine room under the breakfluid box<<

Are you talking about the yaw rate sensor for the ESP? If so, isn't that in the trunk near the spare tire?

Hey bud what is a yaw rate sensor=? please explain in layman words
I red in a MB broschure that this BAS function was standard on all 98 and so on cars, but I cannot see any unit under the breakfluid box, my cluster lights up with this warning light BAS/ESP AND then they will go away after a few seconds.

BUT WHERE IS THE BAS located under the hood=? please show me a blue print from the engine room if possible?
thanx

xvvvz
04-07-2008, 06:59 AM
>>Hey bud what is a yaw rate sensor=? please explain in layman words<<

It is part of the whole ABS/BAS/ESP system that senses when/where lateral g forces exceed the expected g force for going forward. If your lateral forces are higher, then it thinks you are in a skid/slide and will try to correct.

kowalski
04-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by xvvvz
>>Hey bud what is a yaw rate sensor=? please explain in layman words<<

It is part of the whole ABS/BAS/ESP system that senses when/where lateral g forces exceed the expected g force for going forward. If your lateral forces are higher, then it thinks you are in a skid/slide and will try to correct.

thanx for the input buddy.

i know about the DETALIRUSSIA WEBSITE that have blueprint descriptions on mb cars but i can not find it can anybody show me picture described with this option in the engine room thanx

alpine951
04-21-2008, 04:57 AM
I finally got under the dash this weekend. The emergency brake release stays attached to the panel, even when you take out the screw holding the lever to the panel, so the panel did not come out completely but at least enough to get at the switch. I was afraid of the two electrical connections snapping off as I couldn't tell how they were attached. Fortunately they both came of with just a little tugging. For anyone who may reade tjhis in the future wondering about the switch, once you get the electrical connections off you twist the switch counter clockwise to unscrew it. Took me a few trys of trying to tug it straight out and then thought about a twist after looking at the new switch. No more ABS/BAS lights. All good.

johnnybravo
05-18-2012, 02:08 AM
hi i'm currently replacing mine and have got the whole bottom dash cover loose except where the red bonnet release handle is, the cover seems to catch here because i have pulled the red handle out, undone the screw and it stays attached to the cable so im wondering how will the cover come off with this in the way? the parking brake handle and steering column adjust stays attached to the panels so they're ok, but i can't work out how to get past the bonnet release handle? all the other side of the cover is loose. please help.