PDA

View Full Version : lecture me: rear mufflers.

yusuke280
03-28-2008, 07:07 AM
hey there,
i'm just wondering.. what would be the most ideal way to keep a minimal noise when purchasing a rear muffler?

before buying a full back like remus, (that'll solve all the problems with noise)

i just wanted to experiment with magnaflow. #14830 to be exact.

simple questions like,
1. what would happen if i only purchased the rear muffler? how would it sound?

2. would the ideal way be purchasing a high-flow cat too?

please leave your comments!
thanks.

PS: the engine IS a 2.2.

Proven Guilty
03-28-2008, 07:20 AM
if you want to keep it quiet, just replace with the magnaflow, keep the stock cats and resonator. you won't get loud with that displacement, and it'll have a slighty crisper note to it.

if anything, it would be just for looks. i know OCKlasse has a supersprint cat-back he's willing to sell if you hit him up, but it's still on his car and he'd need cash up front to yank it.

anf6789
03-28-2008, 08:21 AM
that is exactly the setup i have on my 280, not really the route for quietness, more drone, more engine, more sound. you should hear it at 6000rpm, beautiful.

yusuke280
03-28-2008, 12:04 PM
thanks guys.

svt ricco
03-31-2008, 11:15 PM
remus and sebring are not that loud that's why i went with magnaflow

omeyhomey
04-01-2008, 10:34 AM
for optimum sound you can go with a full magnaflow setup.

The 22" maganflow resonator is MUCH better at cancelling out resonance than the stock resonator (which is puny by comparison). If you are still concerned about sound you can go with true 14" universal then add tips vs. getting a all-in-one street series muffler (these are the loudest exhaust magnaflow makes other than their race series all in one). The 14" magnaflow has more muffling capacity b/c of its design.

Think of it this way... Muffler controls volume, Resonator controls resonance.

I ran a 14816 + 22" magnaflow on my BMW track car and it actually wasn't that loud off cam (below 4000rpm) and resonance was actually pretty low and it was relatively quiet under normal cruising, but it was a stick (Auto's drone more b/c of constant load). I ran 18" magnaflow universal on my S320 W140 w/ 22" mag resonator (tried 3 different resonator setups, 22" mag is hands down best you can buy). It was very refined & subdued similar to a remus type exhaust but with a bit more top end sound but definitely conservative.

If you are looking for a sporty setup you can get teh 14xxx series mufflers w/ a 22" mag resonator and it will be and aggressive setup but not too loud for street, under WOT 4000+ it will scream for sure. If you want more conservative go with a 14" + seperate tips.

VIP_MBZ
04-01-2008, 10:52 PM
If you just want the look and only a minimal performance increase, you can an OEM C36 or C43 AMG exhaust.

My C36 exhaust was only ever so slightly louder than stock. I picked up a little bit of extra power but nothing to write home about. The supercharger whine with an AEM dryflow is still much louder than the exhaust.

-Ray

yusuke280
04-02-2008, 11:04 AM
thanks for the detailed input.

i'm just wondering, what would happen in terms of loudness with using everything stock and just replacing it with #14830 (magnaflow).

any inputs with this? mind you, i have no plans on spending more than 200 USD for this year's exhaust setups.

yusuke280
04-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by VIP_MBZ
If you just want the look and only a minimal performance increase, you can an OEM C36 or C43 AMG exhaust.

My C36 exhaust was only ever so slightly louder than stock. I picked up a little bit of extra power but nothing to write home about. The supercharger whine with an AEM dryflow is still much louder than the exhaust.

-Ray

it's quite difficult to order a C43 rear muffler in hong kong. that's why im planning to go with #14830- the closest looking C43 tip.

svt ricco
04-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by yusuke280
it's quite difficult to order a C43 rear muffler in hong kong. that's why im planning to go with #14830- the closest looking C43 tip. i have my stock muffler, make an offer :D