PDA

View Full Version : Changing brake rotors and pads

dwang
09-22-2003, 04:37 AM
OK, I've been putting this off for quite some time now. My rear pads are about as thin as a sheet of paper and I need to change them ASAP. I have the rotors and pads purchased already. I just need to install them.

My dilemma: I do not have a jack/lift. I have 2 options. Go and purchase a jack and some jack stands and do the install myself. Or pay a garage to do it for me. I would rather do it myself. How much will it cost me in equipment to do it myself? What equipment will I need? Am I just better off having the mechanic do it for me?

Dave

1SIKBNZ
09-22-2003, 06:56 AM
Im at the same spot except the only part of my dilemma is the installl part. Im doing all 4 as well.... how to would be great or if anyone in the bay would be so kind to help this poor 202'er out... ;) :p :D

CKlasse
09-22-2003, 07:35 AM
Dave,

Remember, you have the E-Brake in the rear. So you must go behind the wheel hub to loosen up the ebrake, then take off the rear disc. It will seem that it's stuck in place. Grab a mallet, turn the rotor and hit the rotor inside out few times. Off it goes!

You'll need flat head screw driver to turn the e-brake to adjust, since now you have a thicker newer disc. Mallet, allen, jack, jackstands, torque wrench, and all the necessary wrench and sockets are required.

Get instruction from ALLDATA or Haynes Manual if you could. It'll save you time.

Have fun!! :)

pnsji
09-22-2003, 09:34 AM
you would need a pin pusher and a c clamp. other than that, you should be able to use your existing tools.

Eurosport
09-27-2003, 02:41 PM
is there a write up on this somewhere because i never taken calipers apart before :( me= brakes noob

here's write up for 210
all mbs are pretty close to that anyway
http://www.mercedesshop.com/e_class_brakejob.htm